Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spark plug gap for a six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
My GT clone has a 1978 911SC 3.0 with stock internals. The ignition distributor was reworked by Jerry Woods to maximize performance with the Weber carbs. I have a Mallory HI-IV ignition box with a MSD Blaster coil. Plug wires are OEM braided with Bosch copper plugs. Car runs quite well but I'm curious what spark plug gap is suggested ? I've read anywhere from stock to .060 and everything in between. If I remember correctly I currently have them just a little larger than stock. So what are you guys using for plug gaps ?
J P Stein
I ran .050 gap.

A couple other comments that you may take or leave as desired.

I used the MSD Hi vibration coil. It is potted and can be used in any attitude.
Oil filled coils should be mounted upright lest they spray oil all over God's creation.

Big plug gaps need big voltage. Normal wires oft times can't handle the increased voltage (36000+ v). The big gaps "burn through" the rich mixtures due to Webers and prevent plug fouling.

I found NGK copper plugs work best. Plugs used to be "one is as good as another" to me....no more.

This was hard won data from some years back. Bout 6 months of dicking around with a motor that just didn't run to my expectations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.