Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polo Motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daveyboybadion
OK, I'm not hyping this motor, I just thought it interesting that someone makes a 4 cylinder OHC flattie that you could conceivably put in a teener. Check it out in this month's Excellence magazine...daveyboy
Tom
Yep, that would be a cool engine to have if someone had too much money and didn't have anything else to spend it on. 2/3 's of a 911 "6" motor. Why not just use the whole "6"?
What I would love to see is a camless engine with the valves operated electrically thru an engine management system. Now that would be really cool!
Tom
RJMII
What I would love to see is a camless engine with the valves operated electrically thru an engine management system. Now that would be really cool!

agree.gif

My dad and I have discussed this one multiple times... What hardware/actuators would be optimal for use though?

The valves get opened once per revolution, my redline is somewhere around 9500rpms (not a type 4), which would put me at opening and closing a valve @158 times a second.

So we'd need an actuator that can control movement from baseline/0, to opening up to a half of an inch and control that over a set amount of time in milliseconds, and move (how many grams is a valve now?).
show me which actuator to use...
GeorgeRud
Easy, just use F1 technology!

As with everything in life, just bring enough money!

With the -6 conversions so straighforward, it's hard to consider others. I know people like their V8 and Subaru conversions, but the car is always a bit of a bastard. Having said that, I'd love to try a LS1 conversion with an Audi automatic trans so I could have fun and not have to use the clutch (bad knee!).

As Ruf is now building a rear engined V8 911, anything is possible!
gandalf_025
How about something like this ??

www.coatesengine.com/technology.html

Click to view attachment

Since horsepower is defined as work over time, the CSRV allows for an extremely high rpm potential. Test run at Coates' facility have seen a Ford 5.0 liter engine spin to 14,750 rpm! Though the CSRV removes the valvetrain rpm limitations, the need to have a rotating assembly that can withstand the engine speed becomes the essential element. Another benefit of this design is the extended oil change intervals, with the lubricating system not being exposed to the rigors and pollution from the poppet valve.
orange914
now thats cool
http://www.coatesengine.com/rotary_motor.html

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 26 2010, 01:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Al Meredith
The Auto Mfgs would love to get control , electricaly, of the valves. The valves are heavy and need a big magnet to open them. Several years ago there was a movement within the Auto Industry ( SAE) to move the world standard to 36 volts. That way you could control the solenoid needed for this operation. In addition you could elimate the altenator and starter and use the flywheel as a combo unit. I haven,t heard anything lately.
Tom
I think any electrically operated valves in a regular internal combustion engine would have to use something to assist the valve opening and closing. Maybe similar to Ducati style desmo actuation with air pressure assist. It can be done! With enough money for research and development of course. Just imagine tho', the unlimited ( programing limited I would think) valve timing changes that could be achieved to meet the needs at the moment. I wish I had the place, assistance, and money to work on a project like this. What fun that would be!!!
I think one of the first steps would be to find a valve material that is light and then use multiple valves to keep the weight as low as possible. I know one of the universities used to have a development program along these lines. Alabama? Can't remember which one for sure. I think they were trying to use air pressure assist to control the valves.
In the end, it would be too expensive at the beginning for most of us also.
Tom
RJMII
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Dec 26 2010, 04:00 PM) *

The Auto Mfgs would love to get control , electricaly, of the valves. The valves are heavy and need a big magnet to open them. Several years ago there was a movement within the Auto Industry ( SAE) to move the world standard to 36 volts. That way you could control the solenoid needed for this operation. In addition you could elimate the altenator and starter and use the flywheel as a combo unit. I haven,t heard anything lately.

which solenoids are they? I'm thinking a dual circuit setup could be done with 3 motorcylce batteries for the 36 volt side, with the alternator running at 36 volts, then a voltage reducer box for the 12 volt stuff.

The higher voltages would also decrease the current necessary to power accessories, eliminating a couple hundred pounds of wire.

It's too bad they didn't get the change made, there were still more benefits to be had. Car audio nuts would have benefited quite a bit from the 36 volt change. biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
QUOTE(orange914 @ Dec 26 2010, 02:02 PM) *

now thats cool
http://www.coatesengine.com/rotary_motor.html

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Dec 26 2010, 01:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Funny thing about that coates motor, they used a Mercedes 280 engine for one of their prototypes...so I wrote them, as I have a Mercedes 280C to see how much the price for such a motor would be and/or if they'd go to production...never got a response.

So I guess their website is only a PR tool...someone asking about their product and a price point is ignored, not cool.

Nathan

PS: The Polo motor only makes sense in a 356 or beatle, as the 914 and 912 can fit a 6-cyl 911 motor easily.
J P Stein
I can't imagine the cost of making & getting those rotary valves to seal.....not to mention the seals/bearings themselves....then keeping them that way.
Don't hold your breath.
Gary
QUOTE(daveyboybadion @ Dec 26 2010, 09:09 AM) *

OK, I'm not hyping this motor, I just thought it interesting that someone makes a 4 cylinder OHC flattie that you could conceivably put in a teener. Check it out in this month's Excellence magazine...daveyboy

Picked up the current Excellence at B&N - February, but don't see it. Was it January's issue?
Dr Evil
As for a light, strong material for valves, Matsys already makes valves from powdered metal. Root is the owner and head dude and could do this smile.gif I have held some of hte valves he has made and they are super light.
Gearhead1432
I really like the Polo motor. It's too bad Porsche didn't do something like this in the late 60s to replace the aging pushrod 356 engines.

Anyone consider Inconel for valves?
championgt1
QUOTE(Gary @ Dec 27 2010, 07:31 PM) *

QUOTE(daveyboybadion @ Dec 26 2010, 09:09 AM) *

Picked up the current Excellence at B&N - February, but don't see it. Was it January's issue?

Februarys issue. Artical about the black 356.
r_towle
can someone find this motor online?
I am not sure I am looking at the right thing.

Rich
JmuRiz
http://www.advanceperformanceeng.com/home
r_towle
see, now I was thinking VW Polo, not Deans motor.
He wants over 20k for that motor...not worth it.

Rich
Tom
Google polopolus engine and you should find it. Not much on the web site tho'.
Gary
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 28 2010, 09:53 AM) *

see, now I was thinking VW Polo, not Deans motor.
He wants over 20k for that motor...not worth it.

Rich

I was thinking the same - that's how I missed it. Would have been cool to see a flat 4 by VW again.
dflesburg
Isn't Porsche supposed to be making a flat 4 turbo motor for the new 2014 vw-porsche car? I thought it was supposed to be some suby type thing in the porsche version of the car, and a inline 4 vw in the blue sport...

Maybe I was just dreaming all that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.