Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914's on Top Gear US.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Did you see the preview of next weeks Top Gear America? I saw a few shots of 914's. Tune in. Tonight's episode was quite good. Better than the previous ones. It's getting better. beer.gif
Britain Smith
Yea, it actually looked like they were driving a white one with 916 front bumper. There also appeared to be an orange one on there as well.

-Britain
johannes
WOOHOOO !!! Could this be a remake of the Less than 1500£ Porsche Challenge ?

first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif

Can't wait to watch this episode

By the way I watched the two first episodes of TG UK and they are great ! ...
w00t.gif
jt914-6
Got the date & time for TG next week with 914's???? driving.gif
bcheney
Can anyone tell me what episode will show the 914's? This show comes up on the ON DEMAND category with my Brighthouse Cable here in Orlando. The episodes are just numbered. Thanks,
RFoulds
The next episode will be Episode 7. They have 6 in the can, so I surmise, next up is 7.

Episodes debut Sundays, at 10pm on History Channel.
They don't have a seperate website, prefering to rely on FAcebook and Twitter. (bad decision) so for now, "Official Site" is http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear

Show still sucks. Tanner is unlikable, and not as knowledgable as he likes to think. Fat guy is just an idiot, with awful, awful comedic timing, and the "actor/comic" is about the only one who can speak on camera without coming off as a moron.

Events are really cheap versions of the extremely well produced events of the BBC version.
dw914er
I wanna see. I agree with the show though; Cast just doesn't cut it for me. The camera production isn't great as well.. saw too much of wide angle lenses which made the cast look uber distorted
RFoulds
Of course, when a show sucks this bad, someone else needs to decide they can do it better. Enter Adam Carrola who, most believe, should have been the guy to host TG America. (a conflict with taping of a dead-before-it-even-aired NBC Sitcom kept him off the show)

http://jalopnik.com/5713073/adam-carollas-...on-top-gear-usa

hydroliftin
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Dec 27 2010, 12:03 PM) *

Of course, when a show sucks this bad, someone else needs to decide they can do it better. Enter Adam Carrola who, most believe, should have been the guy to host TG America. (a conflict with taping of a dead-before-it-even-aired NBC Sitcom kept him off the show)

I believe Adam Carolla wanted to do the show. He's available now. Why not can these guys and start fresh. Kind of like when they got a Darin on Bewitched.
RFoulds
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Dec 27 2010, 12:25 PM) *

I believe Adam Carolla wanted to do the show. He's available now. Why not can these guys and start fresh. Kind of like when they got a Darin on Bewitched.

Well then, the hosts would have to have some type of untimely accident, as befell Dick York, the original Darrin.

Actually, the original BBC version of Top Gear has gone through its own host changes.
sfrenck
Just watched yesterday's episode on DVR with my son. The preview from next week almost looked like the three of them were used car salesman trying to sell a 914 and other cars (most profit wins, maybe?).
I actually like Tanner the most out of the three. I went to the filming one day and the first thing I noticed was how scripted they were and you can tell in the end product. barf.gif
EdwardBlume
I've enjoyed most of the US TGs mainly because I've only seen one clip of the UK version which is hilarious (Reliant Robin)...
pete000
I have to agree the USA version is weak in comparrison to the UK edition. I dont theink the hosts are very entertaining at all.

I hope they dont bag on the 914 Sunday !
sww914
I think that the BBC version is the best show on TV, ever.
That's hard to match but they didn't even try. It's like pinks, just kind of stupid with as many recaps as Mythbusters. They film like 5 minutes and just stretch it out. I'm tired of almost everything that's popular in America. It feels like they're just jamming crap down my throat, like front wheel drive. It's crap but it's cheaper so they tell me it's better. It isn't.
johannes
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 28 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Of course they will. The car is ugly and underpowered ... hissyfit.gif
dflesburg
Plus as I said before, if some fool let me drive thier lambo I am pretty positive I could go faster than 173... like those left coast woosies....
bembry
I dig Top Gear (orig UK version).

US version sucks, and they really lost me trashing out 3 decent cars like assholes. At least the things killed on the UK version are usually heaps to begin with.

(I'm talking about the 70-ish Olds Cutlass, the new looking Fiero, and well. .. even the Roadmaster wagon)

The hosts really try too hard to be funny--and aren't.
dw914er
QUOTE(johannes @ Dec 29 2010, 04:55 AM) *

QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 28 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Of course they will. The car is ugly and underpowered ... hissyfit.gif

it's not ugly wub.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Dec 29 2010, 05:34 AM) *

Plus as I said before, if some fool let me drive thier lambo I am pretty positive I could go faster than 173... like those left coast woosies....

Maybe, but Tanner is the only actual "driver" on the show. What style of racing did he become famous in? It's not drag racing. wink.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Dec 27 2010, 12:03 PM) *

Hey I have know Matt Farrah for years now. He was one of the employees at Gotham Dream Car before he did his internet show. I hope the show gets picked up and he gets to work with Adam Corrolla

By the way would someone post a link to the trail. I cannot find it. dry.gif
silver74insocal
10 bucks says they treat the teener like a red headed step child.... popcorn[1].gif
campbellcj
The Australia version has changed cast members several times too, in only a couple years.

Tanner is a superb driver but that alone does not qualify one for a TV show.

I watch it similarly to the BBC version - usually on my PC and I jump to just the segments of some interest.
The US version is written by the same guy who does the UK show so I know that's not where they need to tweak.

I hope they don't bag on the teener. If they do I'll go U.N. on them and condemn them in a strongly worded letter. happy11.gif
paroxysm
Don't worry its just a piano durability test to show the benifits of the targa roof compared to a Morris Marina's fixed roof.
jcd914
QUOTE(96740 @ Dec 29 2010, 05:25 PM) *

The US version is written by the same guy who does the UK show so I know that's not where they need to tweak.

Actually I think that is exactly where they need to tweak. I have only watched about half of 1 show and a couple clips of others and they are just redoing the UK shows. Same challenges, same jokes, same set, etc ...
I really enjoy the UK version and can't sit thru the US version because they are just doing it a UK show over again, just not as well.

They need to do their own show and fit it to the talent they have.

Just my thoughts
Jim
BuddyV
All three hosts suck, in my opinion... and I'm a television junckie. chair.gif

.... I thought that "Ezra Dyer" guy from the magazine would be a host. His articles suggest that he has an interesting passion for cars.

My barber had never seen the British version. He THOUGHT the American version was awesome... until he saw a copy of the British show. No comparison.

In all fairness, it was a near impossible act to follow.
scotty
Send the Americans to Bethlehem via Iraq and see how they do.

...couldn't they have come up with a different name for the American "Stig?" "Al" or "Mario" maybe?
realred914
I like top gear, but i dont have cable, wont pay for the cable cuase i only want about three channels, and not have to pay for all the other 'crap" they offer in their stinking package deals. cable is such a racket, but top gear is cool.
campbellcj
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 31 2010, 08:46 AM) *

I like top gear, but i dont have cable, wont pay for the cable cuase i only want about three channels, and not have to pay for all the other 'crap" they offer in their stinking package deals. cable is such a racket, but top gear is cool.

Here is your answer - for Top Gear & Fifth Gear at least:

http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/

Dr Evil
Clarkson really is great. He is funny and smart. "Baboon with itching powder" av-943.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzpx_jUUA0
RFoulds
Why, oh why, couldn't Top Gear USA have at least tried to find an Automotive Journalist? There are MANY writers who could have done the job THAT is why Clarkson is so good. He was a great Automotive Writer for years.

Any past editor or contributer to CAr and Driver ould be a better choice than the current trio.
Rockaria
Possible top gear US 914 spolier.

I found this link that may pertain to why we see 914s in the Top Gear US Promo:

http://jalopnik.com/5653827/how-i-made-sur...sa-wouldnt-suck

Sorry if this is a repost...
EdwardBlume
If they bag on the 914, I'll stop DVRing it, and only watch TG UK.
PeeGreen 914
Oh Rob, you know Clarkson would rag on the 914 if he could.
Brent
Looks like more sophomoric antics a coming our way. At least in other episodes, they always point out the redeeming factors in their test cars.
bandjoey
OK. Help. I clicked on and opened from the above link Final Gear to see the lists of Top Gear episodes. It required a Torrent player??. I clicked on their 'find a player' and it redirected me to Microsoft's site. I clicked on. yellowsleep[1].gif Their link and downloaded Free Torrent Player. T h e n, I opened the downloaded Top Gear file with the player, and nothing happened.

Please someone with knowhow...post a thread on how to download the Top Gear episodes from this thread.
and how to use torrent? Many Thanks
johannes
Forget Microsoft
Download VUZE. Its a Torrent app + player.
When you download a torrent for a movie file you actually NOT get the movie/show but only a file that gives your torrent app information on how to get the movie.
When you open the torrent file (you downloaded from Finalgear) in the torrent app, It will start to download the movie from all the computers and torrent users that have the movie on their hard drive and have the torrent app running. This can take from one hour to many days, depending on how many people are sharing the movie. Once the movie is downloaded on your hard drive, any movie player will do it. You can burn it on DVD, play it on your TV ...

Step one : download and Install VUZE ( Chose "custom installation" and check to avoid installation of the "VUZE toolbar" and other crap )
Step two : Go to Finalgear dot com and download the torrent file from the show you want to watch
Step three : Open the torrent file in VUZE (double click on the torrent file should open VUZE and lauch the download of the actual movie/show)
Step four : Wait until the the show is fully downloaded. Less than an hour for a recent show... a few hours for older shows. VUZE gives you all the information about how many people share the file, time remaining ...)
Step Five : Once download completed, enjoy the show. You can open the movie in VUZE and use the player embeded in VUZE or open it with any player. The show is in "my documents / vuze downloads"
flipb
Ugly front end piece. Looked like a Weber (single) carb. Paging Dr. Evil, help Tanner get that tranny right by the end of this episode...

Another tip to Tanner... bring that car to the East Coast and it would instantly be worth $4K. But good luck in CA, land of 914s...

EDIT: That's a '74 and it was white when he bought it... Anybody check if it's a Creamsicle?
Dr Evil
I didnt even get a damn call sad2.gif Could have increased the value exponentially. smile.gif
stepuptotheMike
so he spent money to paint the thing.... but didn't spend the minimal $ to fix the shift linkage so it would have 1st and rev??

at least he didn't paint it some dumb ass color like the other clowns. I thought he was pretty complimentary of the car actually.

Mike
Dr Evil
Ya, not like there are several Porsche shops in that part of CA that could have EASILY un-fucked that shifting problem. Maybe he doesnt know where R is?
Dr Evil
Oh ya, Mike, very good deduction that it is likely the shift linkage, not an internal transmission problem. I can tell you attended one of my clinics smile.gif (shameless plug)
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 2 2011, 10:54 PM) *

Oh ya, Mike, very good deduction that it is likely the shift linkage, not an internal transmission problem. I can tell you attended one of my clinics smile.gif (shameless plug)

it's the kick ass video.... smile.gif

but then reading that Jalopnik link above... the writer said that he got it into gear eventually.... but it wouldn't go anywhere.

but he got a new shift knob on it..... bet he was surprised that didn't fix it. confused24.gif

Mike
Dr Evil
$1850, with no idea of how the hell hole is, I cant say if that was a good deal.
silver74insocal
this show isnt about cars its about 3 dudes...2 of which have absolutely nothing to contribute..what an effing disappointment . barf.gif
URY914
I think this tranny is fine, he just didn't know where 1st and reverse is. The tranny never was an issue when it was being test driven.
rnellums
I couldn't agree more. I was excited to see the 914 on show, but was disappointed that he spent the money on strippers instead of the tranny. Cool color combo though!
URY914
BTW, I would have never watch if it wasn't for the 914. This was better than the last one I watched but still pales to TG UK.
racerbvd
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 1 2011, 09:48 AM) *

Why, oh why, couldn't Top Gear USA have at least tried to find an Automotive Journalist? There are MANY writers who could have done the job THAT is why Clarkson is so good. He was a great Automotive Writer for years.

Any past editor or contributer to CAr and Driver ould be a better choice than the current trio.

Brock Yates would rock!!!

Wonder if the guy who bought the 914 will fix it up, or try & flip it on eBay??

Why would the FF rattle can an OK paint paint job??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.