Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake manifold gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PDXMike
I pulled off my intake manifolds to replace the boots. The plastic gasket-shaped blocks were fine, but the gasket material on both sides was a mess. I cleaned the surfaces, but now I need new gaskets.

Can I buy standard gasket material and cut the shape I need? What material? Should I use a sealant?

I know I can buy the whole thing from Pelican, but I don't want to wait a week for them to ship.

Thanks,

Mike
SirAndy
QUOTE(PDXMike @ Dec 27 2010, 02:12 PM) *
Can I buy standard gasket material and cut the shape I need? What material? Should I use a sealant?

Yes and yes. The correct thickness off the shelf gasket paper should do the trick. I always use a very light coat of sealant on both sides.

The key is to have both mating surfaces clean. Never had any sealing issues ... shades.gif

PS: welcome.png
ME733
QUOTE(PDXMike @ Dec 27 2010, 05:12 PM) *

I pulled off my intake manifolds to replace the boots. The plastic gasket-shaped blocks were fine, but the gasket material on both sides was a mess. I cleaned the surfaces, but now I need new gaskets.

I know I can buy the whole thing from Pelican, but I don't want to wait a week for them to ship.

Thanks,

Mike

.......................You can get gasket material at NAPA auto-parts., VICTOR brand name., it comes in various thickness...10ths, 25ths, and 50ths.(inch)....For intake manafolds I prefer the thicker 50ths, as this will give /be /a heat shield for the carbs. Use PERMETEX BLUE GLUE, on both sides of the gasket. wipe off any excess...inside the manafold.. as you torque down the carbs .Remember the gasket material will expand minutely as it is being "crushed", so account for this when cutting your port openings.
PDXMike
QUOTE(ME733 @ Dec 27 2010, 03:55 PM) *

.......................You can get gasket material at NAPA auto-parts., VICTOR brand name., it comes in various thickness...10ths, 25ths, and 50ths.(inch)....For intake manafolds I prefer the thicker 50ths, as this will give /be /a heat shield for the carbs. Use PERMETEX BLUE GLUE, on both sides of the gasket. wipe off any excess...inside the manafold.. as you torque down the carbs .Remember the gasket material will expand minutely as it is being "crushed", so account for this when cutting your port openings.

Thanks! I found some .035" gasket paper and cut my own. the stuff I took out measured at .020", so this is at least close. We'll see what happens. I'm sure it will be fine.

Thanks again!

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.