Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teeners race cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

Got pictures?

J P Stein
I'm sure some one could photochop a pic if you gave em' a good profile shot.
The 914 look is gone without the sail.
Someone did mine a few years back.

That is slipping mighty close to 17.2.S or 18.1.A. ...I dunno. A modified tub cost you 50 lbs in the Mod classes.
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
jt914-6
A couple more of Wayne's car....9146.....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
URY914
^ I see sails.
grantsfo
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 28 2010, 04:37 PM) *

Sure does look different, but with the high hoop and the bars running back to the shock towers not bad. sawzall-smiley.gif
Brett W
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 29 2010, 08:41 AM) *

Sure does look different, but with the high hoop and the bars running back to the shock towers not bad. sawzall-smiley.gif

That cage isn't legal for SCCA. The rear down bars can't have a bend in them and be legal for SCCA and NASA.

Randal
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jan 3 2011, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 29 2010, 08:41 AM) *

That cage isn't legal for SCCA. The rear down bars can't have a bend in them and be legal for SCCA and NASA.

You are right, no bends allowed in SCCA.

Good news is that mine aren't bent, but cutting the sail off would cost me 50lbs in EMOD; someone could argue that cutting the sail off is cutting part of the tub. Anyway easy math on that one given the net weight savings removing the sail is +/- 16lbs.

Click to view attachment

J P Stein
Good lookin' cage, Randal.
grantsfo
Shouldnt there be a bar behid the seat to be SCCA and NASA legal? Do they allow you to mount harnasses to firewall?
URY914
Cut the outside skin off the sail then cut out all the heavy sheetmetal inside it. Or do what I did and make one in fiberglass.

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jan 5 2011, 01:19 PM) *

Shouldnt there be a bar behid the seat to be SCCA and NASA legal? Do they allow you to mount harnasses to firewall?

That is next in the process.

In reading the rules you can mount the shoulder harness to the firewall like JP did. He used big fender washers.

I am going to have a bar running from the hoop to the hoop cross bar, which is shown in the picture as a piece of tape.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 5 2011, 03:19 PM) *

Cut the outside skin off the sail then cut out all the heavy sheetmetal inside it. Or do what I did and make one in fiberglass.

Click to view attachment

That is really nice work. Wish we were closer to see that car in action.
URY914
Thanks Randal, I used the chrome trim pieces to maintain the shape of the piece and it worked pretty well.
bcaschera
I dont know if it is worth 50 lbs. but the targa bar from sail to sail is about 20 lbs. alone. (That is all that is left from my trarga bar).

Is this really a worth while mod? aren't you sacrificing quite a bit of rigidity by cutting the sails?
Randal
QUOTE(bcaschera @ Mar 2 2011, 10:28 PM) *

I dont know if it is worth 50 lbs. but the targa bar from sail to sail is about 20 lbs. alone. (That is all that is left from my trarga bar).

Is this really a worth while mod? aren't you sacrificing quite a bit of rigidity by cutting the sails?

Thanks for the information.

I've gone off doing this project for two reasons, one of which you outline above, i.e., although 20 lbs is a lot, the negative is that you could get protested for cutting into the tub, per SCCA.

That wouldn't be a good thing.
jjackson
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 4 2011, 08:58 AM) *

I've gone off doing this project for two reasons, one of which you outline above, i.e., although 20 lbs is a lot, the negative is that you could get protested for cutting into the tub, per SCCA.

Cage work looks great!! What class are you building it for?
The season after I cut away the most metal-we broke/fatigued the rear of our old chasis to the point that the car NEVER handled correctly again.So be careful.In some ways it was a blessing-we kept upgrading suspension components until we found the problem-Several frustrating seasons-we got really smooth driving a flexing chassis.JJackson
Randal
QUOTE(jjackson @ Apr 2 2011, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 4 2011, 08:58 AM) *

Cage work looks great!! What class are you building it for?
The season after I cut away the most metal-we broke/fatigued the rear of our old chasis to the point that the car NEVER handled correctly again.So be careful.In some ways it was a blessing-we kept upgrading suspension components until we found the problem-Several frustrating seasons-we got really smooth driving a flexing chassis.JJackson

I'm probably going to run E Mod, but will be underpowered when going against the monster cars. But it will be fun and we'll see if a good handling car can get within shouting distance. biggrin.gif
jjackson
Emod looks like a great class.I like the modified and prepared classes because you can develop a car over a period of time-as budget allows.Our budget has never allowed the car to be finished-always searching,testing,reading, and hopefully improving the car.The "monsters" of the class do a lot of pointing and shooting-just rolling through corners due to big hp #s -in some really large cars (except for Kiesel of course-IMPRESSIVE) Do you have a good competitive local class?You can't go fast until you chase fast.JJackson
Randal
QUOTE(jjackson @ Apr 9 2011, 07:34 AM) *

Emod looks like a great class.I like the modified and prepared classes because you can develop a car over a period of time-as budget allows.Our budget has never allowed the car to be finished-always searching,testing,reading, and hopefully improving the car.The "monsters" of the class do a lot of pointing and shooting-just rolling through corners due to big hp #s -in some really large cars (except for Kiesel of course-IMPRESSIVE) Do you have a good competitive local class?You can't go fast until you chase fast.JJackson

There is good competition in the bay area given that we have a huge number of venues and clubs that run autox's.

And that is the fun of course.

Like yourself I find the fun part developing the car within time and budget constraints.

Looking forward to having the car running and getting back to sorting out the suspension with this new motor.
J P Stein
E Mod seldom has a very large class. We've found decent size classes at NT events.....6-8 cars, none of which were national caliber and run where there is competition (contingencies, ya know). XP also works some years.

Basically, if ya got a good E Mod car at any AX you should dust all of the doorslammers. That makes keeping score easy. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
While Randals car probably wont be a competitive National class e mod car it should run in the thick of things with national level prepared class cars we have in these parts for TTOD. We have too many E mods showing up to events even here in Nor Cal.

Randal you should sign up for Duel at De Anza! That is close by your place and very fun event. I think your car would do well there too! Talk to Dennis and Peggy about entry form if youre interested. Head to AAS events too as thats where the fast cars go and will give you a sense where your car is at.
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 11 2011, 10:24 AM) *

We have too many E mods showing up to events even here in Nor Cal.

Well, they must not be too proud of them.
I looked up all the West Coast NT events and Nationals for the last 3 years. Found 0 (that's zero) E Mod cars from Nor Cal listed in the results. I think Randal will do fine in E Mod locally. Some may develop or return to AX, but AX is a competition then, isn't it.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 11 2011, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 11 2011, 10:24 AM) *

We have too many E mods showing up to events even here in Nor Cal.

Well, they must not be too proud of them.
I looked up all the West Coast NT events and Nationals for the last 3 years. Found 0 (that's zero) E Mod cars from Nor Cal listed in the results. I think Randal will do fine in E Mod locally. Some may develop or return to AX, but AX is a competition then, isn't it.

Typo DONT have
Randal

Kiesel's car is impressive and not without a huge cost of time and money. But impressive none the less, just to put together something special like that is pretty cool.

And I think he did a lot of the work himself flag.gif unlike the Arrive and Drive (ADD) crowd that just brings money.

jjackson
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 21 2011, 06:51 PM) *

Kiesel's car is impressive and not without a huge cost of time and money. But impressive none the less, just to put together something special like that is pretty cool.

And I think he did a lot of the work himself flag.gif unlike the Arrive and Drive (ADD) crowd that just brings money.

There are alot of people that buy a championship car and then fix it (never to be seen competitively again) and then there are the ones that make a good car incredible.I remember listening to the guys that were buying the ex Chris Cox BMW.They were discussing all of the things that were wrong with the car instead of trying to learn all of the things that were right-and then learning how to drive the thing.JJackson

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 21 2011, 04:51 PM) *

At the same time, some of those guys with deep pockets also develope some really cool cars AND they can drive. However, a win is a win no matter how you get it dry.gif
jjackson
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 21 2011, 10:18 PM) *

At the same time, some of those guys with deep pockets also develope some really cool cars AND they can drive. However, a win is a win no matter how you get it dry.gif

Due to our lack of deep pockets-its taken ten years to get to here.Glad the car is now considered "decent " by some.JJackson
Randal
QUOTE(jjackson @ Apr 22 2011, 05:42 AM) *

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 21 2011, 10:18 PM) *

Due to our lack of deep pockets-its taken ten years to get to here.Glad the car is now considered "decent " by some.JJackson

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

jjackson

[/quote]
Last year at nationals-now car has 75 bumpers on front ,larger splitter, and rear spoiler.Will take some pix at Pro Solo next week.JJacksonClick to view attachment
Randal
[quote name='jjackson' date='Apr 22 2011, 06:03 PM' post='1464787']
[/quote]
Last year at nationals-now car has 75 bumpers on front ,larger splitter, and rear spoiler.Will take some pix at Pro Solo next week.JJacksonClick to view attachment
[/quote]

Cool picture. We need more, like action pictures. Great looking car.

I think our splitters as somewhat alike.

Mine doesn't do well with cones as it's aluminum and bends when I (make a big mistake and ) hit them square on. blink.gif

I was thinking about using that poly resin board stuff, but can't find the lightweight stuff at reasonable prices.

It's a shame that Boeing closed their surplus store. sad.gif
jjackson

Thanks -race cars at a distance photograph well.When I bought this chasis,it was going to be my pretty race car-ran out of funds before we ever got to pretty.New splitter is 'alucobond' -aluminum outer layers with resin.Its almost a pound per square foot but strong-donated from a local chevy dealership (nice subcontractor) that was under construction.The front end really likes this years added weight.JJackson stirthepot.gif

Cool picture. We need more, like action pictures. Great looking car.

I think our splitters as somewhat alike.

Mine doesn't do well with cones as it's aluminum and bends when I (make a big mistake and ) hit them square on. blink.gif

I was thinking about using that poly resin board stuff, but can't find the lightweight stuff at reasonable prices.

It's a shame that Boeing closed their surplus store. sad.gif
[/quote]
Randal
[quote name='jjackson' date='Apr 22 2011, 07:52 PM' post='1464846']
Thanks -race cars at a distance photograph well.When I bought this chasis,it was going to be my pretty race car-ran out of funds before we ever got to pretty.New splitter is 'alucobond' -aluminum outer layers with resin.Its almost a pound per square foot but strong-donated from a local chevy dealership (nice subcontractor) that was under construction.The front end really likes this years added weight.JJackson stirthepot.gif

No question that is where you want to put the weight.

I'd like to show up and run XP or EMod, where ever the most cars reside, but the set up is different.

With XP you can put the ballast where you want so.... Ha, good point maybe I should just build another splitter with a thick steel plate. That is an easy place to add 75 lbs and destroy cones at the same time.

You know I could use the same splitter, just tie wrap on the plate.

I'm liking this.

jjackson

.The front end really likes this years added weight.JJackson stirthepot.gif

I'd like to show up and run XP or EMod, where ever the most cars reside, but the set up is different.

With XP you can put the ballast where you want so.... Ha, good point maybe I should just build another splitter with a thick steel plate. That is an easy place to add 75 lbs and destroy cones at the same time.

I'm liking this.
[/quote]
Last year at nationals, I was gridded next to the Zust XP car.He was carbon fiber body with plywood splitter-I was steel bodied with carbon fiber splitter-Things that make you go Hmmmm.JJackson screwy.gif
Randal
[quote name='jjackson' date='Apr 22 2011, 08:46 PM' post='1464901']
.The front end really likes this years added weight.JJackson stirthepot.gif

I'm liking this.
[/quote]
Last year at nationals, I was gridded next to the Zust XP car.He was carbon fiber body with plywood splitter-I was steel bodied with carbon fiber splitter-Things that make you go Hmmmm.JJackson screwy.gif
[/quote]

1/4 inch standard sheet weights about 10lbs per square foot. Could easily add about 7 sq feet on the bottom of my existing splitter. Like one sheet that would bolted to the existing splitter. Might have to reinforce the aluminum fasteners that hold it on, but could figure something out.

How do you use fuel as a weight compensator?
PeeGreen 914
So hold on here. Are you saying you've added weight in front of your wheels and you have noticed a benefit? idea.gif I have ALWAYS wondered about this and never tried it.
Randal
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 24 2011, 02:34 PM) *

So hold on here. Are you saying you've added weight in front of your wheels and you have noticed a benefit? idea.gif I have ALWAYS wondered about this and never tried it.

Haven't tried it yet, but thinking it ought to work. Having the weight down low is good and there is no lower place on the car.

We need one of our chassis engineering guys to comment!
PeeGreen 914
Maybe I need to pick Greg's brain on this. I'm sure he'd give me a good idea. Oh wait, that means I have to see him dry.gif The first three AXs and the last two are generally all he ever get to go to anymore.

Maybe Jay has done testing for us biggrin.gif
jjackson
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 24 2011, 04:42 PM) *

Maybe I need to pick Greg's brain on this. I'm sure he'd give me a good idea. Oh wait, that means I have to see him dry.gif The first three AXs and the last two are generally all he ever get to go to anymore.

Maybe Jay has done testing for us biggrin.gif

Our front end was better when we added the splitter - right before Nationals last year.We have 10 gallon fuel cell in front at spare tire location-run car between 4 and six gallons.This year we put on 75 bumpers and lightened support frame.The frame and supports ended up at thirteen pounds combined, and the splitter weighs almost 5.The splitter has been lenthened to the outer dimension of the 75 bumpers.The car is incredible in the front end this year.I'm going to drop some weight in the rear and lighten the rear springs by 25lbs.Every improvement that we have done,front or rear-affected the balance of the car.Now the back end is worse than the front.Before the weight was added at these locations,the front was the weak link.Definitely not the engineer that others are or are not-We are a trial and error outfit.JJackson
PeeGreen 914
Love to hear how it goes. I think many of the best engineers still have learned by trial and error beerchug.gif

When Leeds car was winning nationals regularly Greg was always changing things out and trying something new.
jjackson
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Apr 24 2011, 07:39 PM) *

Love to hear how it goes. I think many of the best engineers still have learned by trial and error beerchug.gif

When Leeds car was winning nationals regularly Greg was always changing things out and trying something new.

Greg (and JRZ) built my shocks-they were running larger fuel cell in front (never asked how much fuel they ran) than we were.This weekend, we will get to test at higher speeds than we have been running.JJackson
J P Stein
Leeds puts his ballast in the same place we did, passenger floor. IF you have to add weight, the front end might be a good spot, never tried it.

You'll need to attach a 70lb splitter very securely....overkill is good (Murphy gets involved). Should it come adrift for any reason it would be very ugly. An attachment to a fiberglass bumper/airdam would be insuficient, IMO. .

Brit had his first splitter break off taking the airdam with it......but it was light weight construction. 1/4 inch plate rolling under the car....... barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.