Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "74" 914 front engine mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
this is my first engine pull on this car. ive never pulled a type4 or a mid engine car so it took me a few to get a plan together. everything was going just fine. until i got to the front outer engine mount. OMG! after about 2 hours of fighting a frozen front engine mount i was finally able to get a pickle fork up in there and beat on it to give me enuff room to take my sawzall to it. what a PIA. next time it should be way smoother. i hope.

i have one question. should this be a rubber mount? right now they are just long bolt in there. so it is solid mounted on the outside. the inner fronts are rubber and look to be about an 1 1/2" round in diameter and an 1 1/2" thick. did the PO micky mouse the outer front mounts??

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Cap'n Krusty
Looks stock to me ..... BTW, the bolts go in from the bottom.

The Cap'n
silver74insocal
you are correct sir...except for the mickey mouse part. lemme find a pic
DAm it my pics are to big. if you check on pelican i believe they show what the mounts look like..the outer is just bolted, the rubber mounts go between the engine and the bar, and the tranny and the body...DONT FORGET THE GROUND STRAP ABOVE THE TRANS!! sound like your making good progress keep it up beerchug.gif Dave
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 28 2010, 07:27 PM) *

you are correct sir...except for the mickey mouse part. lemme find a pic
DAm it my pics are to big. if you check on pelican i believe they show what the mounts look like..the outer is just bolted, the rubber mounts go between the engine and the bar, and the tranny and the body...DONT FORGET THE GROUND STRAP ABOVE THE TRANS!! sound like your making good progress keep it up beerchug.gif Dave

cool.... so i dont need rubbers for the outside, just a new bolt. this time the bolts will get a coating of anti-seize. the ground strap was allready ripped. like the PO forgot about it. so i fabbed up a new one with a piece of flexible battery cable. as far as progress, i was making good time untill i got to the frozen bolt. but the engine and trans are sitting on the carpet dolly. i didnt want to lift the car up in the dark. not with it being my first time. new repop console and battery tray are on there way. i also got a bunch of console reinforcing pieces from tangerine and polybronze bushings from elephant. tomorrow is another day. if it dosnt rain.

i swear i saw a picture in the haynes manual and in factory manual with a rubber mount on the outers. maybe it was for the earlier cars.
stugray
I just went thru this with my recent engine removal.

I remember my college 914 had rubber spacers out at the ends of the mount bar and the bar was solidly bolted to the case.
I now know this is the late engine mount scheme.

My current 71 has rubber mounts where the bar meets the engine and solid mounts out at the ends.
When I took the engine out, both motor mounts were torn and I had to replace both.

Download & see page 174 of the Auto-Atlanta parts manual for the difference.

Stu

Lennies914
You are correct. The early models had the rubber mounts on the outer ends of the motor bar.
mrbubblehead
ok, the bar must be the difference. my bar does look different than the one in the pictures. thanks for the info.
Lennies914
Tail shift bar and side shift bar.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Dec 28 2010, 08:03 PM) *

Tail shift bar and side shift bar.

gotcha
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.