Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Seat Bolsters For Stock Seat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rnellums
I was some spare time after christmas and had wanted a seat with a little more support, but didnt want to go too far away from the stock look. I decided to modify one of the seats I already had by adding some fiberglass and then re-upholstering with fabric so its cooler in the summer. I sewed all the covers myself on a 1903 singer treadle machine.
Click to view attachment
I got a kick out of the lumbar support here, looks like someone just stuffed some extra matting back there.
Click to view attachment
After I got all the old covers off it
Click to view attachment
I epoxied some wooden stakes to the old frame to help support the fiberglass addition
Click to view attachment
Stakes with fiberglass coverage area sanded
rnellums
Some more photos:
Click to view attachment
Here are the bolsters all glassed in, I added some foam under the support to fill the gap inside the shell
Click to view attachment
This is the left side of the seat cover, half way through the stitchingClick to view attachment
The seal all nice and wrapped, with only the cushions left to make using the breathable fabric
Click to view attachment
Here you can see the differences in the bolsters, not too great, but there, If I were to do this part again, I would try to eliminate the diamond i added on both sides.
rnellums
Last pic, all finished up, Im hoping that some of the wrinkles will go away as the vinyl stretches. All in all, I think I did a fair job of it.
Click to view attachment
rnellums
now if I could only get the smell of contact cement out of my house... wacko.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice work! aktion035.gif
Zimms
agree.gif

When is the road test?
SGB
Looks really good. Only you will notice the wrinkles, and they might become less apparent after a while in summer temps.
Jeffs9146
Been done before, see this old thread!

Seat Bolsters
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Dec 29 2010, 06:47 AM) *

Been done before, see this old thread!

Seat Bolsters

I like the seat in this thread better. slap.gif
rnellums
Thanks all! I wont be able to test the seat in the car untill I drive back to denver on the seventh or so. I just hope the warm weather streak keeps up. I'm hoping this seat wont look too out of place next to my stock passenger seat!
Eric_Shea
Looks good smilie_pokal.gif

I used stock seat shells and lots and lots of pictures off Armando's site to build my GT seats.

The benefits of doing this to a stock seat is guaranteed fit on stock seat rails.

IPB Image
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 29 2010, 09:57 AM) *

Looks good smilie_pokal.gif

I used stock seat shells and lots and lots of pictures off Armando's site to build my GT seats.

The benefits of doing this to a stock seat is guaranteed fit on stock seat rails.

IPB Image

Armondo's site?? Linkie??
Eric_Shea
Not without permission from your wife and family... they may never see you again! w00t.gif

(Google: Armando 914-6/GT)
rnellums
Yeah, I had seen your seats before. I was hoping to find some corderoy for the seat and back, but could find any on short notice. I think the GT seats like that look phenomenal, but was nervous about making a seat too narrow for my 6'4" frame to fit into.
Eric_Shea
They're not for everyone. I'd be most worried about cutting the headrest off. That's a major saftey thing that nobody should do unless they're going for a period look and understand the implications.
oldschool
got this one for $15 at the last G&R. and it fits me aktion035.gif Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
That's because you're only 3' tall! biggrin.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 29 2010, 01:32 PM) *

That's because you're only 3' tall! biggrin.gif

Yes but with a Little more milk he will be 6+ like his dad.....not his Grand pa lol-2.gif
rnellums
Tha one would have been great if I had real talent! That seat is amazing w00t.gif !
rnellums
Got some better lighing now that its day time so i figured I would add some "Before and Afters".
Click to view attachment
rnellums
Click to view attachment
rnellums
I finally got back and loaded my new seat in. It is really comfortable, but the extra stiff foam scrim I used added about half an inch to the seat ride height and now my head bumps the targe top. Looks like I may be ripping the cushion apart and shaving a half inch of foam off the bottom!

Out with the old and in with the new!
Click to view attachment

The new seat in place:
Click to view attachment
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 29 2010, 12:00 PM) *

They're not for everyone. I'd be most worried about cutting the headrest off. That's a major saftey thing that nobody should do unless they're going for a period look and understand the implications.

Wouldn't use them without headrests in the 914. That back window is too close. I have another project in mind..... idea.gif
underthetire
You did a nice job! I tried my hand at sewing doing my front seats... barf.gif
rnellums
Thanks! To be honest this is my fourth seat to recover. I started at 16 doing the seats, door panels, and backrest. This is MUCH better than my First attemtpt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.