Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torque or clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
I haven't figured it out yet, but my clutch type differential, set to 40% works better than 80%, as it came from the manufacturer.

If I can't control the under-steer in autox's with 40% then maybe it's time for a torque type?

What is your experience?
jjackson
We are running a Guard torque biasing unit.Never had the throttle push that is typically associated with clutch type diffs until this year.Six years with no issues.This past year we had corners that the car would just enter into a huge push on throttle-Not all corners though.We took apart unit and found where we had started creating some heat and slight wear.Cleaned up-sanded- and swithed to Swepco Lube per manufacturers recommendation-Have not had any further issues.The reason you like 40 percent setup over 80 it that you can roll on throttle sooner withy less push.J
J P Stein
Less push, eh?
The object is (IMO) NO push. The line tightens in the shitbox as one rolls into the throttle. I like it. biggrin.gif
brant
I'm with JP
the driving line will tighten with the TB as you throttle
it took a little getting used to but is really manageable.

sometimes you don't want to lift or the car won't make the corner.. so there is a bit of an early 911 style to driving on the limit. You have to floor it to make the corner.

I also used to love my locked diff (100%) but this is faster, just different
J P Stein
I went thru the "push in some corners" bit (pre LSD days). The "some" had something in common, they were tighter. As tried to dial it out with the normal tweaks nothin' happened....except to give me wild oversteer in the large radius corners.blink.gif

I fixed it.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 31 2010, 12:48 PM) *

Less push, eh?
The object is (IMO) NO push. The line tightens in the shitbox as one rolls into the throttle. I like it. biggrin.gif

Really? Wow.
J P Stein
I first heard this in a conversation with Greg Fordahl .....more than a year before I bought one. I tried to buy one from him, it didn't work out......but I didn't forget.

Sure enough, on sweepers there it was and as Brant said, it took some getting used to. You really don't notice it in the tight stuff cases "things" are happening too quick (for me at least). The car is set up for oversteer on hard turn ins (with a bit of trail braking for the 180 cones jobbies) and it is loose in slaloms.....and I have the loops to prove it. blink.gif

Therein lies another advantage. The car responds to spring/sway bar/tire pressures adjustments in the classic way. One of the first things that Evo School teaches is to avoid heroic driving measures. It's too hard to pull them off consistently.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 1 2011, 08:56 AM) *

I first heard this in a conversation with Greg Fordahl .....more than a year before I bought one. I tried to buy one from him, it didn't work out......but I didn't forget.

Sure enough, on sweepers there it was and as Brant said, it took some getting used to. You really don't notice it in the tight stuff cases "things" are happening too quick (for me at least). The car is set up for oversteer on hard turn ins (with a bit of trail braking for the 180 cones jobbies) and it is loose in slaloms.....and I have the loops to prove it. blink.gif

Therein lies another advantage. The car responds to spring/sway bar/tire pressures adjustments in the classic way. One of the first things that Evo School teaches is to avoid heroic driving measures. It's too hard to pull them off consistently.

Matt at Guard has a good deal going on now for the torque bias differentials. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.