Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type IV main bearing set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
I got an email from CIP1 saying my previous order is now in stock. Is this the right bearing set - assuming it hasn't align bored and the crank is stock?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...2D198%2D481%2DA
rhcb914
There was a thread over on shoptalkforums about this.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134021

Looks like silverline is running a batch.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Dec 30 2010, 07:52 AM) *

There was a thread over on shoptalkforums about this.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134021

Looks like silverline is running a batch.

Thanks for the heads up - I will take a peek there.
tradisrad
Rich at high performance house has main bearings.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes we all prepared for the shortage and have plenty of the main bearings in stock. We happen to have factory genuine Porsche main bearings NOT south american silverline which are the economy bearing set purchased when someone is desperate.

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Dec 30 2010, 08:10 AM) *

realred914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Dec 30 2010, 08:02 AM) *

yes we all prepared for the shortage and have plenty of the main bearings in stock. We happen to have factory genuine Porsche main bearings NOT south american silverline which are the economy bearing set purchased when someone is desperate.

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Dec 30 2010, 08:10 AM) *

I bought real German bearigns from Rich several weeks ago, he has the real deal. He has a stock of them too. call him at 650 364-6234 for real German bearings.
Mikey914
Just curious, Obvisouly the parts of choice are OEM, But as the bearings as a high tollerence, improtant part of the motor, any reproduction would have to be functional.

What would make the Silverline bearings such an inferrior product?

Are they harder to use?

Do they use infreior metal? I don't think they would be in business too long if it didn't last.

Do the fit bad, or require additional machine work?

I would buy an Audi instead of a Maybech, as an economy car, but what is the problem with these?

Just curious as to what would cause these to be a last choice?
McMark
I haven't handled a set and taken measurements, but the problem with Silverline in the past (as I understand it) was that their quality control, repeatability, and attention to tolerance specs were not up to par. A main bearing with too much clearance can destroy itself, and the case, in a relatively short time.
jcd914
It seems I recall someone (maybe Jake) saying the metal alloys used were inferior. confused24.gif

If your bearings were gone in 60K miles instead of 120K you might not attribute it to the bearing manufacture but to oil or maintenance or luck.

Jim
Jake Raby
I am awaiting a set of the Silverline mains to measure and critique when we return from our Holiday shutdown..

I made a detailed post on my forums about the my previous experiences with these silverline bearings.. Only time will tell if the bearings are in better than they used to be. The specs of these bearings are all over the place, excess bearing clearances, not enough clearance and the bearings weigh significantly less than any other on the market. Seldom when bore sizing the bearings they were seldom even close to being round.

The previous quality of the silverline bearings was so horrible that I'd rather reuse old bearings as to use them in one of my engines..

I'd rather have no parts as junk parts.

I'd recommend that anyone using any bearing that comes back on the market to approach the assembly and blueprinting with great care, despite who manufactures the bearings. The last word we heard from Mahle was if the bearings ever come back the center mains won't even be steel backed, which is something thats done for a really big reason. They did this to T1 bearing sets as well.

My fear is someone saw a huge void in the market and did a run of these to make a quick buck and they threw QC out the window. Approach with great care..

FWIW- One day the companies that took advantage of this bearing situation will see just how much of a Bitch karma really is.
realred914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 30 2010, 06:02 PM) *

FWIW- One day the companies that took advantage of this bearing situation will see just how much of a Bitch karma really is.

what you got planned? an all out attack on the bearing plant ,with 1000 B-17 bombers, like we done in WWII?
I can see jake now at the controls of the bomber yelling "bombs away you bastards!!!!"
dr914@autoatlanta.com
You are the authority with the last word to comment on these Jake, that is for sure. If YOU approve the silverline then we can all use them.
In the meantime, we have ONLY Porsche factory and VW factory bearings on the shelf that we too were taken advantage of because of the limited market.
We have them though!

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 30 2010, 07:02 PM) *

I am awaiting a set of the Silverline mains to measure and critique when we return from our Holiday shutdown..

I made a detailed post on my forums about the my previous experiences with these silverline bearings.. Only time will tell if the bearings are in better than they used to be. The specs of these bearings are all over the place, excess bearing clearances, not enough clearance and the bearings weigh significantly less than any other on the market. Seldom when bore sizing the bearings they were seldom even close to being round.

The previous quality of the silverline bearings was so horrible that I'd rather reuse old bearings as to use them in one of my engines..

I'd rather have no parts as junk parts.

I'd recommend that anyone using any bearing that comes back on the market to approach the assembly and blueprinting with great care, despite who manufactures the bearings. The last word we heard from Mahle was if the bearings ever come back the center mains won't even be steel backed, which is something thats done for a really big reason. They did this to T1 bearing sets as well.

My fear is someone saw a huge void in the market and did a run of these to make a quick buck and they threw QC out the window. Approach with great care..

Mikey914
Thanks for the reply Jake. I'm curious how this will shake out (no pun intended). Maybe, if they are actually making the effort to go into production, they will have better QC.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 31 2010, 09:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 30 2010, 06:02 PM) *

what you got planned? an all out attack on the bearing plant ,with 1000 B-17 bombers, like we done in WWII?
I can see jake now at the controls of the bomber yelling "bombs away you bastards!!!!"

Sounds almost effective enough.

What I was saying is many suppliers have taken advantage of this situation by jacking prices up on bearings that didn't cost them any more to purchase.. Yeah, karma is a bitch, wait till they need some help... If they play the game long enough, they'll need some help..

George,
It'll take a complete 180 degree change in the silverline product for me to respect those parts, in times past they were so horrible that I'd not sell them to my biggest enemy.. When suppiers sent them to us, we promptly returned them. (George sent me some one time and he got tem back in less than 2 days!)

We can only hope the new batch is worth a damn..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.