Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D-Jet injector installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914er
I recently knicked one of the hoses running from the metal fuel rail to the injectors, so figured replacing them would stop the leak lol. Anyways, I'm having trouble getting things really to line up on the fuel rail and lock up enough to plug the injectors back into the motor. Is there any tips to make the installation easier?

It's on the left side of the 1.7 D-jet btw, so I have more space than the other side, but it's giving me trouble, so any advice would be great

Thanks smile.gif
JoeSharp
Hey Ben, the early injectors had a crimped hose and gave you no choice. But the replace ones needed the hose installed. I found crimped hose hard to install. I gave myself about 3/4 inch extra hose and used some WD40 to help slip them on. Still a pain.
dw914er
Thanks Joe. I bought new injectors plus hose since porsche doesn't carry just the crimped lines anymore. It's been a pain to get in though. Once I get the screw sleeve to lock in and pull everything to the car, it slips off so I'm redoing it again. I've got to be doing something off and it's driving me nuts

dw914er
anyone?
detoxcowboy
AA has cut and curved hose sets, but I just used my own new proper sized fuel line and proper sized hose clamps. Maybe I spit lubed.. but your definately do not want your fuel line coming off that easily, could catch fire. Hose clamps don't budge like whatever screw sleeve thingy.. Hose clamps are everywhere else on your fuel line system so why not at the injector?
dw914er
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Dec 30 2010, 10:08 PM) *

AA has cut and curved hose sets, but I just used my own new proper sized fuel line and proper sized hose clamps. Maybe I spit lubed.. but your definately do not want your fuel line coming off that easily, could catch fire. Hose clamps don't budge like whatever screw sleeve thingy.. Hose clamps are everywhere else on your fuel line system so why not at the injector?

I'm using the right clamps and everything. Just not sure if there's an easier way to get the clamps on and on tight in the space provided. What I've done just hadn't seemed to work. Probably just gotta keep trying but it's a little frustrating.
cary
The clamp on the injector or the fuel rail? And you are using the solid band FI clamps?
On the injector:
I know I bought a 12 inch extension for my 1/4 ratchet just for that. You rotate the clamp on the fuel injector up and hold it with one hand. While cranking the ratchet with the other. But if you don't have a long enough extension, your pissing in the wind. You can't get it tight enough with a spin tight or screwdriver. You need the extension to get that last 1/2 of turn to snug it up.
I use SlyGlde from NAPA when I assemble FI stuff. Keeps you from nicking the rubber and things turn easy for lining things up. FWIW.

If they fail you have 30#'s of fuel pressure pissing all over your hot engine.
Spoke
I put both injectors together on the fuel rail on the bench then installed as an assembly. Then connect hoses to and from the fuel rail/injector assembly.
dw914er
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 31 2010, 07:23 AM) *

I put both injectors together on the fuel rail on the bench then installed as an assembly. Then connect hoses to and from the fuel rail/injector assembly.

I guess I'll try that. I left the rail connected to the fuel pump and worked to install from inside the engine bay.
windforfun
QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 31 2010, 07:23 AM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
dw914er
Well... got it on and done. As Joe said, it's just a pain but I was able to get the crimped hose tight enough up to the metal rail to stay secured as I crimped it down. After that, some tight work to get the injectors in, and now it's happy.
broomhandle
not to hyjack this thread. but, can you use a L-Jet injector on a D-Jet system? by cutting off the d-jet connectors and using a L-Jet connector? you can get new L-Jet con's.

my car sits because of old D-Jet cons'
dw914er
I'm not sure. I know the D-jet injectors are attached to a pre-crimped rubber hose which is what fits into my fuel line system. Without the crimp it wouldn't fit
dw914er
An old post I found from Pelican's Dave Darling

"The injectors may not be swappable. They will fit and plug in just fine, but I have heard that there are major electrical differences between the D-jet and L-jet injectors and that Very Expensive Things could be damaged if you tried to mix them up."
broomhandle
QUOTE(dw914er @ Dec 31 2010, 11:16 AM) *

An old post I found from Pelican's Dave Darling

"The injectors may not be swappable. They will fit and plug in just fine, but I have heard that there are major electrical differences between the D-jet and L-jet injectors and that Very Expensive Things could be damaged if you tried to mix them up."

i am talking about L-Jet injectors and L-Jet Connectors onto the D-Jet System and ECM.

i thought there was a different flow from the L-Jets, but unsure
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.