Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help for tubing fabricators - custom notching templates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledtechguy
I ran across this nifty tube coping calculator on another board and had to share it here. Basically after you enter the specifics on the tube you are working with and the angle of intersection you want, it prints out a flat template that you can cut and wrap the tube with that shows the exact place to cut without the aid of an expensive tube notcher. Perfect for roll bars and cages. Hope this helps someone. . .

Tube Coping Calc.
Rleog
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Dec 31 2010, 12:09 PM) *

I ran across this nifty tube coping calculator on another board and had to share it here. Basically after you enter the specifics on the tube you are working with and the angle of intersection you want, it prints out a flat template that you can cut and wrap the tube with that shows the exact place to cut without the aid of an expensive tube notcher. Perfect for roll bars and cages. Hope this helps someone. . .

Tube Coping Calc.

I don't know when this may come in handy, but I'll save the link.

Thank you.
J P Stein
A hole saw of the same diameter of the tube, a drill press, and a good drill vise do the trick.....a good eye for angles & a protractor help.

OR a $4-500 machine to do it.
jd74914
agree.gif

The coping printout is nice, but after notching hundreds of tubes, I've found that a good eye, permanent marker, and an angle grinder can make equally nice joints in about the same time. smile.gif
forcefed
I have used every method known to notch tube,
a tube notcher ( even a H.F.) is by far the fastest (1-5 minutes) and most reliable, under 60*. It is my go to, even over a mill, unless the mill is already set up

The metalgeek tempelets are so nice to use for hand shaping over 60* ( 0-30*). Also great for blending multiple tube intersections. It is not that easy to get perfectly straight though, and as hard as you try it will no fit as well as a notcher or mill.
Britain Smith
I used that notching calculator when doing the wastegate piping for my exhaust...worked perfectly!

-Britain
URY914
I used this when I built my car...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.