Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragging Brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
no1uno
Newbie here. Just purchased a 73. After driving it from the seller, I noticed the right front wheel is warmer than the others. I'm guessing a dragging/sticking caliper. What else could it be? bearings? something else? The car had been driven infrequently for the past couple of years. Just bought a Haynes manual and I'm ready to get going with all the little problems.

What else should I be addressing with my new-to-me 914. I plan an oil change soon. How can I improve the shift quality. I'm not expecting Miata like shifting but I'm sure there is room for improvement. Previous owner didn't provide any records other than all engine seals had been replaced about a year ago.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to the journey...
oldschool
QUOTE(no1uno @ Jan 1 2011, 07:21 AM) *

Newbie here. Just purchased a 73. After driving it from the seller, I noticed the right front wheel is warmer than the others. I'm guessing a dragging/sticking caliper. What else could it be? bearings? something else? The car had been driven infrequently for the past couple of years. Just bought a Haynes manual and I'm ready to get going with all the little problems.

What else should I be addressing with my new-to-me 914. I plan an oil change soon. How can I improve the shift quality. I'm not expecting Miata like shifting but I'm sure there is room for improvement. Previous owner didn't provide any records other than all engine seals had been replaced about a year ago.

welcome.png first just ask the po whats the deal with the breaks he may have a answer ...maybe and yes it will never be a Miata cause its gay, but if you change a of the shifting point bushing and maybe the trans, mounts you will have a better shifting ride. shades.gif
914itis
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 1 2011, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(no1uno @ Jan 1 2011, 07:21 AM) *

welcome.png first just ask the po whats the deal with the breaks he may have a answer ...maybe and yes it will never be a Miata cause its gay, but if you change a of the shifting point bushing and maybe the trans, mounts you will have a better shifting ride. shades.gif

I guest the first thing would be to jack it up and spin the wheel see how free it spins and look for clues.
stugray
This happened to me with my 914 back in the 80s.

After driving for long periods on the highway, I would go to use the brakes and would have NONE until I pumped them.

After trying to rebuild the front calipers twice, I finally figured out that the front flex lines were clogged from age.

When you pressed the pedal, pressure would depress the caliper, but it wouldnt release. Long term driving without depressing the pedal would boil the fluid in the caliper and the gasses would push the fluid out.
When you went to use the brakes again, you had nothing until the fluid was pushed back into the caliper.

Replace all four flex lines and rebuild the calipers while you are at it.

Stu
Eric_Shea
Could be soft lines (common) or, if it sat for any period of time, it could just be brake "shellac" as I call it. Just bad, gummed up brake fluid deposits building around the seal on the side of the piston. Time for a rebuild if that's the case.

If you don't know how old the soft lines are then you should change them. Stu's got the answer... do them both at this time. The rears are tough though... be forewarned. wink.gif
underthetire
I agree just do the calipers and hoses in one shot. I've learned to buy all my brake parts from pmb. He not only has great prices but you can call him for advise. As far as shifting, start with replacing all the shifter bushings, change the trans oil and make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly. The trans mounts if shot will also cause sloppy shifting. And comparing anything to a miata on this site will get you flogged in a hurry. welcome.png
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 1 2011, 02:33 PM) *

Could be soft lines (common) or, if it sat for any period of time, it could just be brake "shellac" as I call it. Just bad, gummed up brake fluid deposits building around the seal on the side of the piston. Time for a rebuild if that's the case.

If you don't know how old the soft lines are then you should change them. Stu's got the answer... do them both at this time. The rears are tough though... be forewarned. wink.gif

agree.gif

I was told once that in Germany if a a car sat for more than 1 year, it was required that the flex lines were to be replaced. This had something to do with the rubber deteriorating. If the lines were used, then this deterioration was greatly reduced. So a car driven did not need annual brake line replacement.
no1uno
Thanks for all the responses thus far. I'm going to take a closer look tomorrow. I'm sure it's good advice to replace the lines and rebuild the calipers. I'll start at the front. Anything special I should look for in terms of replacement brake parts. Any chance the lines could be original? How long should they last? The miata comparison was my first and last.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.