Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Temperature and thermostat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I'm still trying to set up my engine, a little at a time. (Timing, changing leaking injectors, pressure system, you know the stuff) The engine appears to idle smooth, no back firing, timed properly but, while underneath the car listening for valve train noise I happened to put my hand near each exhaust pipe. Cylinder #3 was noticably cooler than the rest. I couldn't touch any of the other three and I couldn't hold onto #3 but I could touch it briefly. It was too hot to hold but not to touch. The car has only been running maybe 10 minutes total on and off but I was surprised to see this.
Could it be a bad injector not supplying enough fuel, too much fuel? It is one of the ones I will have to change becuase it is weeping a bit of fuel but I was just wondering?? confused24.gif
The other thing I was wondering is how long should it take for the bellows to operate to open the cooling ducts. The car is in the garage, up on stands, but it was only about 40*F in there with the doors open. The bellows never opened in ten minutes but the engine never appeared to get that hot. confused24.gif
Tx
Doug
Mark Henry
The bellows will take a long time to open fully at that temp. Maybe as much as 20-30 min. at highway speed. At 20C it will open as soon as the engine is warmed up.

On the T1's # 3 is one of the hottest, but again it may not have run long enough to get real hot.

BTW on my old VW bus, I just touched my forearm to #1 once and it took the skin right off...ouch.
mike_the_man
If #3 has a leaky injector, then it's probably getting too much fuel. That should make it run cooler. You could pull the plugs and compare. #3 should be running richer. These are just my thoughts, I could be totally wrong.
d7n7master
Or you could swap the injector to a diff. location & try again.
tracks914
I put another old leaky injector into that cylinder, started it up and right away the exhaust pipe got hot. This is probably the problem. I am looking into a couple of new injectors now. Anyone got a good deal on them?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.