Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil cooler seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 shifter
i am going to order a set of oil cooler seals from pelican.has anyone purchased these? pelican has an article on this subject/install.looks like a real pita, but i do believe i have a leak/drip in this area so i will order seals tomorrow.they are only $1 each i just want to be sure they are the best choice. assuming there is a choice. cheer.gif happy new year!
brant
I've always found pelican parts to be great
factory stuff

GPR also has great stuff and really good prices.

that is one pain in the butt job though...
something to do when the motor is out
brant
detoxcowboy
They are good and work fine; Carefull with that Pelican article about doing it without taking anything out of the way; in the end it is easier to just do it correctly rather squeeze and fumble those seals into place. Plus if done correctly you will get a better look at what is going on and where the leak is really comming from. MY friend whom as dismanlted at least a dozen 914's, tried it the Pelican article way and spent more time doing it that way trying to avoid work than just do it with work involved but no struggle.. That is just my 2 cents.

Don't look at it as work but as time spent, in the end it equals out so why not do the work and spend the time doing it right..
realred914
QUOTE(914 shifter @ Jan 2 2011, 08:33 AM) *

i am going to order a set of oil cooler seals from pelican.has anyone purchased these? pelican has an article on this subject/install.looks like a real pita, but i do believe i have a leak/drip in this area so i will order seals tomorrow.they are only $1 each i just want to be sure they are the best choice. assuming there is a choice. cheer.gif happy new year!

make sure the leak is not from the oil pressure sendor, that often is a leak that appear to come from the cooler. the oil pressure sendor can fail at the seam between the metal housing and the plastic inner part. It is cheap and fast to fix this before the oil cooler seals. I have had more failures of the oil pressur esendor than the oil cooler seals. so check that out first.

if you dont want to buy a new sendor et, simply use a pipe plug (1/8 inch NPT) in place of the sendor for a while and see if the leaks goes away, if it does, then the oil sendor was either loose or leaking at the seams.

may you have a leak free year!!!!
bandjoey
I did the Pelican method and it wasn't hard to do. I got the car up on 4 stands and had pleanty of room. Take off the heater elbow itsjust a couple of bolts. Pull off the oil filter neck to get to the top nut of the cooler - order a gasket. Used an open end wrench with vasoline to stick the seals in place and it took about an hour. U just have to enjoy working under the car. smash.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 2 2011, 09:18 AM) *

I did the Pelican method and it wasn't hard to do. I got the car up on 4 stands and had pleanty of room. Take off the heater elbow itsjust a couple of bolts. Pull off the oil filter neck to get to the top nut of the cooler - order a gasket. Used an open end wrench with vasoline to stick the seals in place and it took about an hour. U just have to enjoy working under the car. smash.gif

I think on condoms they tell you not to use vasoline as it deteriorates the rubber and may cause un-safe sex.
914 shifter
thank you all for the info. i will order a new pressure sender $5, and the seals $2.i will install the new pressure sender first then i will ask for the 914 god for mercy laugh.gif
ChristopherB
I am a total newbie and I am investigating an oil leak. Well, using "an" is not really appropriate as I am sure I have more than one. I am hoping it is the oil cooler seals and I am in the process of replacing them. My first question is how the heck do you remove the top nut on the oil filter neck? Mine is right up against the cooler and I can't get a wrench on it. Is it possible to remove the cooler without removing the filter flange? Also, does the cooler come out with the bracket attached?

Thanks,
Chris
type47
I don't think you remove the cooler, just unbolt it enough to move the cooler away from the engine case to remove the old seals and install the new. You "can't" remove the cooler with the fan housing in place: if you really plan to remove the cooler, drop the engine, it will save time in the long run.
ChristopherB
Thanks Jim, that helps a lot.
My real problem is the top nut on the filter flange. The cooler sits right on it, and I can't get anything on it.
r_towle
1/4 socket wrench, a ujoint or three, long extension and some time and patience.
All you need to do is pull the cooler away from the case about 1/2 and inch ...the old seals can be flicked free with a screw driver.
Then, with grease on the new seals, I slide them up into place with a pair of long tweezers....they will stick long enough with the grease on them to get the cooler back in place.

Rich
Cap'n Krusty
In close to 40 years, I can't remember ever actually seeing a T4 oil cooler seal that failed, i.e., leaked. Coolers, many, oil pressure switches, all the time, but never the seals.

The Cap'n
Drums66
.......if the car has been idle for 35 yrs or they're as hard as a rock!
replace them, it's real easy!! idea.gif (I drop the oil filter idea.gif )
bye1.gif shades.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
bigkensteele
I did mine a couple of years ago. Arm yourself with lots of light, an aresenal of curse words and vasoline or grease to stick them in there. I don't remember removing the oil filter console.

All that being said, I now have my motor pulled, and now that I can see everything, it was never leaking from the cooler seals. Everywhere else, yes, but the seals were fine. My guess is your front main seal or the pressure sender. My main seal was leaking and given its proximity to the fan, it has blown oil all over the place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.