Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CF Turn Signal Cover Interest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Romanowski
I've been playing around and made up a carbon fiber turn signal "lens." It will screw on and fits pretty good but sits closer to the fender than the factory lens cover. It also fits over the factory lens cover and could be held on by double sided tape.

It would work well for full on track cars or people who want to protect their turn signal covers when at the track. No more taping the lenses up. aktion035.gif

Do people have any interest in these? They would probably be around $50 for the pair.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jjackson
Those look great-currently running cut out aluminum (flat) over openings on auto x car.I'm getting ready to build a carbon fiber splitter and hopefully a rear trunk.Have you experimented with larger items in CF.J
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(jjackson @ Jan 2 2011, 03:38 PM) *

Those look great-currently running cut out aluminum (flat) over openings on auto x car.I'm getting ready to build a carbon fiber splitter and hopefully a rear trunk.Have you experimented with larger items in CF.J

Not too much. Done fiberglass though and I've been finding the CF easier to work with. If you pick a twill weave, it lays nicely and is easy to form. The splitter with a foam core should be pretty easy. The hardest part of the rear trunk is going to be the mold and lid reinforcements.
jjackson
Was planning on using glass mat for backing under fiber.Waiting for book to show up on molds and composites before tackling trunk.My previous splitter was purchased in carbon fiber-the backing just looks like glass mat with cloth over.J
ChrisFoley
Jay, complete (early style) front noses are available in CF from Prototype Composites in Wisconsin.
I run one on my road race car.
They also have a separate splitter.

Matt, those lens covers look good!
jjackson
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 2 2011, 06:13 PM) *

Jay, complete (early style) front noses are available in CF from Prototype Composites in Wisconsin.

Currently running early glass bumpers-In FP only allowed splitter to outer dimensions of bumper and back to midpoint of wheel.Converting front to late,lightened bumpers and building splitter to match profile.I've been eyeballing your headers by the way.Really happy with ALL parts we have purchased from you.J
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 2 2011, 04:13 PM) *

Thanks Chris. The CF noses that Protype Composites make look awesome! Those are way above my skill level (right now!).
Matt Romanowski
QUOTE(jjackson @ Jan 2 2011, 04:19 PM) *

Currently running early glass bumpers-In FP only allowed splitter to outer dimensions of bumper and back to midpoint of wheel.Converting front to late,lightened bumpers and building splitter to match profile.I've been eyeballing your headers by the way.Really happy with ALL parts we have purchased from you.

Even a 1/4" core foam with carbon fiber on both sides would be very, very strong.

Chris' parts are all very nice. He runs a great business and makes really nice parts!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
URY914
I made these a few years ago and sold a few pairs. I don't think there is much market for them.

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jjackson @ Jan 2 2011, 07:19 PM) *

Converting front to late,lightened bumpers and building splitter to match profile.

Their splitter might work with the late bumper. Its big.
I have one at the shop which belongs to my customer with the white F Production car. Its in storage but I think I could get it out for a picture. I might even be able to stick it under a '76 for a look at how it would fit.
jjackson
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 2 2011, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(jjackson @ Jan 2 2011, 07:19 PM) *

Converting front to late,lightened bumpers and building splitter to match profile.

Their splitter might work with the late bumper. Its big.
I have one at the shop which belongs to my customer with the white F Production car. Its in storage but I think I could get it out for a picture. I might even be able to stick it under a '76 for a look at how it would fit.

Thanks, would definitely be interested in seeing profile compared to late bumpers.Could it extend to mid point of wheels?J
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 2 2011, 08:03 PM) *

I made these a few years ago and sold a few pairs. I don't think there is much market for them.

None of this "exotic" stuff sells in big quantities.
Just ask me how I know. sunglasses.gif
Having a website storefront does help though.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jjackson @ Jan 2 2011, 10:14 PM) *

bumpers.Could it extend to mid point of wheels?J

I think the F Prod rules limit rearward extension to the front edge of the wheel opening, so it won't go back that far without adding a secondary element.
I don't think there's much benefit to extending a splitter that far back on a 914 though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.