Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will my clutch chatter in the cold?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steeks
Hello All, Just have a quick question, I have a 72 1.7, It has been unseasonably cold up here in northern Arizona. I took the opportunity while my car was tucked safely away in the garage due to the snow to make a few small repairs, speedometer cable and such, It was 20 degrees and wet outside but decided to go for a test rip around the block to see if my speedo was working. I think I felt a little clutch chatter under hard acceleration in 2nd gear, never did it before and I drive it all the time, but I have never driven it when it was this cold outside and It wasnt even warmed up. My question is if the extreme cold could cause the clutch to "chatter" alittle bit under hard accel? Any input would be welcomed, Thanks!
jd74914
I've driven my car unwarmed-up down to close to 0F and have never experienced any clutch chatter or slipping. That said, my clutch only has maybe 15k miles on it so it is effectively new.
steeks
I am not even sure that that is what it was, Hell, It may have been the a back tire cutting loose in the wet conditions with cold tires, I don't know. I drve this car all the time and have never had it chatter like that, only did it in second gear, on the throttle pretty hard in 2nd gear after the clutch was already fully engaged.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 2 2011, 06:39 PM) *

I've driven my car unwarmed-up down to close to 0F and have never experienced any clutch chatter or slipping. That said, my clutch only has maybe 15k miles on it so it is effectively new.

agree.gif I just came back from 4 months in temps from 14-36 snow, ice, sleet, rain ect. ( 914 was outside the whole time, ever work outside on your car at night when its 14 degrees out, ouch!!) clutch never chattered but same as above, 2,000 miles on a new clutch kit and resurfaced flywheel.

suggest check the clutch adjustment and drive it some more for some constant verifaction. One trip around the block with a maybe felt clutch chatter is not enough to validate with any certainty, good your aware of you 914 though.

Charging systems and batteries suffer some in those temps.. Specially batteries, killed my Optima before the warranty was expired. (Garbage)
IronHillRestorations
40 or 50 degress isn't going to make that big a difference, it's something else.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 3 2011, 06:18 AM) *

40 or 50 degress isn't going to make that big a difference, it's something else.

agree.gif

Probably oil on the disc at this point.

It may burn off with driving.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jan 3 2011, 08:22 AM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 3 2011, 06:18 AM) *

agree.gif

Probably oil on the disc at this point.

It may burn off with driving.

In my experience, oil doesn't "burn off" clutch discs. The Cap'n
underthetire
Just a flat spot on the tire from sitting in the cold, drive it harder biggrin.gif
steeks
Ok, went on a more extensive test drive today, I think I found the gremlin!! I believe the chattering noise was my rear deck lid rattling due to worn out rubber stoppers on the corners! In the process or fixing now, when I even pushed lightly up and down on the deck lid while closed, It reproduced the same type of sound. Thanks.
steeks
Nope, that wasnt it. Getting very annoyed.
detoxcowboy
It is a chatter noise only? How is the clutch?
steeks
It's really hard to describe, It sounds like something is rolling around in my trunk, I only hear it, very faintly between 3-4k RPM. I adjusted the clutch yesterday to no avail, don't think its my clutch. It could even be a high speed miss in the motor as it seems to be RPM related. I'm very "anal" about my cars and I'm pulling my hair out over this one. Can't really hear it clear enough to diagnose a cause or location.
detoxcowboy
914 noises, yeah!, love the mystery.. Sometimes it is as stupid as a broken jack retaining strap (happend to me) other times it is a coming event. Being it is a faint oddity you may have figure on finding it yourself, and or wait until it presents itself in a more obvious manner.

an example, I had a faint tiny squeky noise for 6 months, even asked passengers do you hear that? SO I replaced all the wheel bearings, still there. Put a new alt. belt, still there.. 6 months mind you.. I would hear it but had pretty much given up.. then Bam!! Squeek went to a full blown screeech!!, pulling out of a parking spot at the grocery store.. Alternator died, replace the alt. no more squeky squeky....

Good Luck you will find it, or it will find you... blink.gif

3-4k rpm? even when in nuetral?
underthetire
agree.gif
The friggen jack strap scared the crap out of me when I took a corner. Thought something real bad happened. And don't forget the top. Mine makes 2X the noise when its cold out.
realred914
hell, my teeth chatter when it gets that cold. biting on a wood pencil help stopping the teeth chatter.

i suppose if the clutch was wet, adn the water froze that might make some noise, but other wise cold like that should not cuase a clutch chatter (unlike my teeth)
Drums66
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jan 4 2011, 09:54 AM) *

hell, my teeth chatter when it gets that cold. biting on a wood pencil help stopping the teeth chatter.

.....I was going to suggest this! laugh.gif
underthetire
Cause your rim is bent biggrin.gif

I'm sorry, I saw your other post. If I was closer I might be able to help with parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.