Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So after trying to find nice deep orange side marker lights for awhile
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speed metal army
I used dye.It worked really nicely!I have an nos one,and i was able to duplicate the color. smile.gif So,now all those crappy faded yellow ones can stay as backups.
The pics were kinda tough to take,too dang reflective(or weak photog skills)but you get the idea.2 faded ones,2 dyed ones.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
I tried orange first on some crap ones,not great.The ticket was "bright yellow"and "scarlet red" mixed together.I used about 1.5L and a tsp of salt,brought the mess to a boil,and dunked the lenses(suspended by wire)for about 15 sec. intervals until the desired color came up.If you try it,be careful about the time.try 10 secs a dunk until you get the hang of it.The color changes real quick.Its easy to end up with one thats too orange.Also,the mix of the two dyes doesnt even look orange in the pot,but it seems to replicate the nos color best.My wife thinks im nuts. biggrin.gif
realred914
neato neato, neato!!!! what brand of dye you use? source for dye? please share this!!

thanks
speed metal army
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jan 2 2011, 11:29 PM) *

neato neato, neato!!!! what brand of dye you use? source for dye? please share this!!

thanks

It was "Tintex"brand dye.Again,watch how long you expose the parts!The color change happens quick....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Nice job!
SGB
Like, those are supposed to be the same amber as the TS lenses? Mine are lemon yellow, and the TS lenses are like your timts here. I like these projects with little work for obvious payback.
underthetire
Those look nice. There was a thread a while back on re-finishing with a dyed clear coat that hides checking as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.