Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone replaced their torsion bars on the rear deck lid with moder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steeks
I was wondering if anyone has replaced the old torsion bar lifting system on the rear trunk lid with modern hydraulic lifters, seems like a pretty simple deal, Pictures anyone?? Thanks.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(steeks @ Jan 3 2011, 11:25 AM) *

I was wondering if anyone has replaced the old torsion bar lifting system on the rear trunk lid with modern hydraulic lifters, seems like a pretty simple deal, Pictures anyone?? Thanks.

Camp 914 has the kit for around $50
McMark
agree.gif

IPB Image
Rod
Fitted the camp kit and it works brilliantly - you do get used to holding onto the engine lid as you open it - as they have a lot of power and can push it up pretty fast!!
SLITS
All my cars have been fitted with the gas shocks ... cut those MFer torsion bars out and never looked back.
JoeSharp
Be careful as they are under alot of tension. They do go BANG!!!
montoya 73 2.0
I have the Camp914 kit on mine, they work great!
TC 914-8
I was just thinking of converting to the shocks the other day. Do they get in the way when storing the top ?
Steve
They do not interfere with the top. I had to remove my torsion bars anyway to clear the fuel injection on my 3.2 motor anyway. The down side the shocks ware out, but are easily found at your local auto parts store.
raw1298
Are the shocks ok to use with a fiberglass decklid?
SirAndy
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Jan 3 2011, 01:55 PM) *
Are the shocks ok to use with a fiberglass decklid?

If i'm not mistaken, Craig at Camp914 has shocks with less pressure to go with FG lids ...
SLITS
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jan 3 2011, 12:46 PM) *

Be careful as they are under alot of tension. They do go BANG!!!

I wrap them with rope in two places about 6" apart and go after them with a grinding wheel between the wraps.
davesprinkle
I'm going to disagree with the conventional wisdom here. The torsion springs work great and they never fail. If you install the shocks, you'll need to cut the sheet metal on your trunk.

The factory got it right with the design of the torsion springs. Don't replace them.
Krieger
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jan 3 2011, 08:23 PM) *

The factory got it right with the design of the torsion springs. Don't replace them.

Except when the trunk hinges tear off the inner fenderwell. Which seems to happen to almost half the cars out there.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 3 2011, 08:33 PM) *

Except when the trunk hinges tear off the inner fenderwell. Which seems to happen to almost half the cars out there.

chair.gif Thats exactly what happened to me and the springs were bent from someone prying on them?!
VaccaRabite
I have struts for the front and rear trunk. I like it WAY more then the springs.
Zach
jaxdream
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 4 2011, 05:25 AM) *

I have struts for the front and rear trunk. I like it WAY more then the springs.
Zach

Can you share the part number or the vehicle that they were originaly intended for , front trunk o'course is what I'm refering to ?? T I A ...

Jack / Jaxdream
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jan 4 2011, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 4 2011, 05:25 AM) *

Zach

Can you share the part number or the vehicle that they were originaly intended for , front trunk o'course is what I'm refering to ?? T I A ...

Jack / Jaxdream

I can't. I bought it as a kit from Camp914 a few years ago.

but I don't think it would be hard to source the materials to DIY it.

Zach
McMark
PET PEEVE ALERT

You want an easy install? Buy the kit someone else invested time and energy into developing. Consider the extra cost a 'thank-you' for that person doing all the work for you.

You want something cheap? Do the research yourself and build your own parts.

stick.gif
Okay, I'm done.
jaxdream
Thanks , Zach , I'll check the site out. Wasn't sure if they did fronts . I know they advertised rears. Thanks again for the reply . piratenanner.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
Andyrew
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 4 2011, 11:37 AM) *

PET PEEVE ALERT

You want an easy install? Buy the kit someone else invested time and energy into developing. Consider the extra cost a 'thank-you' for that person doing all the work for you.

You want something cheap? Do the research yourself and build your own parts.

stick.gif
Okay, I'm done.

agree.gif

We have members here that have put good time and effort into their products and do a good job. Craig has been doing this since before it was popular biggrin.gif

His kits are reasonable, designed well, and work great. I love mine! I have a set for the front as well, but have never installed them. Some day maybe.
MoveQik
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jan 3 2011, 09:23 PM) *

If you install the shocks, you'll need to cut the sheet metal on your trunk.

The instructions that are included suggest cutting the trunk. I installed mine with the parts included with the kit without any cutting. So easy even I could do it.....so that means it is REALLY easy. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I did not have to do any cutting with my rear trunk either.

No problems...
rjames
Another option (I went with and am very happy with) is the JWest rear trunk pivot. Much stronger than the original setup, but reatains a more stock look. (no shocks)

JWest 914 Rear Trunk Pivot
SLITS

If you install the shocks, you'll need to cut the sheet metal on your trunk.

NorCal grass must be a lot better than SoCal .... 5 cars and I've never cut one of them for installation.
JmuRiz
How is the install w/o cutting, I thought my instructions skat to cut a small notch...guess it's a good thing I haven't installed them.
computers4kids
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 4 2011, 07:17 PM) *

How is the install w/o cutting, I thought my instructions skat to cut a small notch...guess it's a good thing I haven't installed them.

Instructions, I don't need any stinking instructions. biggrin.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 4 2011, 08:17 PM) *

Change the mounting positions. Mount the shock further *back* on the deck lid instead of the hinge. That way it doesn't need to go into the engine bay. Then move the mounting point on the trunk accordingly. smile.gif There is still enough leverage that the trunk lid shuts easily without too much flex.

Rod
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jan 5 2011, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 4 2011, 08:17 PM) *

Change the mounting positions. Mount the shock further *back* on the deck lid instead of the hinge. That way it doesn't need to go into the engine bay. Then move the mounting point on the trunk accordingly. smile.gif There is still enough leverage that the trunk lid shuts easily without too much flex.

Damn and damn! Wish I had seen this before I cut my trunk!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.