Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where are all the 914's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RFoulds
It seems like 914's are concentrated into a few areas of the country. At least, 914's for sale on the web, and membership on this site would suggest.

When I lived in Tampa a few years ago, I saw ONE 914 in a shop. that was it. Now that I am in CA, I see lots of 914 members online from Tampa! Where were they when I lived there???

Anyway, around here, I see 914's in the Riverside area a lot, and when I lived in Monterey, used to see them around there and the SF Bay area.

But here in the perfect climate for them, the Palm Springs total of 914's to date that I have seen is, Two.

So, where would you say is the highest concentration of 914's?
underthetire
There is a lot of them in the bay area. Wonder if Andy could compute numbers from the VIN database.
Rod
Interesting question... To add a worldwide post to the thread, I honestly think their are less 914's in the uk than the total number of posts you have made on the forum biggrin.gif

I have never driven past another 914 whilst I have been driving mine over here and I have only ever seen three in my whole life on UK roads!!

Everybody that sees mine wants one though!! smilie_pokal.gif
flipb
I've had mine (Virginia, DC area) for over a year. During that time, I've seen one other 914 "in the wild" - belonging to GeniusAnthony - and I wasn't driving mine at the time.

Maybe this is some indication:
Hershey Swap Meet - maybe 30 914s
ECC - Maybe 15 914s
WCR - 90?

Certainly the concentration of surviving cars is out west.
underthetire
Hell, I know of 4 other ones in a 1/2 mile radius from my house.
Mike Bellis
Jaimie Rust (JRust) has them all. Just look in his new shop. biggrin.gif The rest of them are in California. beer.gif
Madswede
I think we have about 12 914s in New Mexico. I see about 1/3 of those out and about. confused24.gif Must be 'cos Series9 went back to Florida.

- Nelson
championgt1
Alot of cars up here in the PNW. driving.gif
rohar
On jack stands wink.gif
smontanaro
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 3 2011, 01:48 PM) *
But here in the perfect climate for them, the Palm Springs total of 914's to date that I have seen is, Two.

I know I'm stereotyping Palm Springs, but can't most of the residents afford something less NARPy than a 914? Maybe a few GT3s and Ferraris?

Needless to say: biggrin.gif

Skip
TC 914-8
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jan 3 2011, 12:46 PM) *

Alot of cars up here in the PNW. driving.gif

agree.gif
RFoulds
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jan 3 2011, 01:30 PM) *

I know I'm stereotyping Palm Springs, but can't most of the residents afford something less NARPy than a 914? Maybe a few GT3s and Ferraris?

Needless to say: biggrin.gif

Skip

Yes, but I try to ignore that. The Porsche dealer here is also, Jag, Bentley, Lotus and Aston Martin. I was just there a few minutes ago and the value of cars on the lot is staggering.

There is a Bentley Continental GTC Speed there. The front brakes are bigger than my house.

I never get used to seeing 90 year old women driving 997 Turbos around here for groceries.
TheCabinetmaker
I am personally aquainted with more than twenty just in the Tulsa area. Tx. has a large population also.
Chris Hamilton
I've got 4 of them in my basement biggrin.gif
Rand
Anyone else remember the "members map" that Howard started on Frappr years ago? It was pretty cool to look at a Google style map and see where everyone was, along with their user-posted photo.

Oh, guess what, the link is still in the upper right corner of this site... But doesn't work anymore. Looks like Frappr is history and someone else has taken over the domain name.

Might be cool to try that again, but use the Google maps api and own it... Google isn't likely to go anywhere.
AndyB
I know they are not around me
johannes
Members map ist Kaput !!!

sad.gif

MikeSpraggi
There are 3 on my block. I have seen maybe 10 different 914s in the Balt-Wash DC area in the last 2 years, however, I know there are more from 'For Sale' ads I've seen.
EdwardBlume
West Coast for sure.
SLITS
We have them all (just like everything else) on the West Coast.

We cut up good ones just to piss the East Coasters off. If we don't cut them, we send them to George. av-943.gif
Lennies914
The map sounds really cool. It would take more computer smarts than I have though.
flipb
I recently came across this site that lets you make a customized Google Map: http://scribblemaps.com (I think there's a free/basic version and a paid version)

shoguneagle
We have six to ten in the Flagstaff, AZ area. Mine rests comfortable on "jack stands" and is originally a rolling chassis from Ventura area.

One member of this board has one or two and his son may have one or two along with a couple or three cut up for parts. I also know where one is located out in the high open grasslands withing five miles of Flagstaff. In the last few years several have been cut up before I could get to them for saving. Still trying to get the serial numbers.

Steve Hurt
Millerwelds
I know of 10 to 12 in the Grass Valley / Nevada City area (No. Cal). It amazes me as we are a pretty small community by comparison.
914_teener
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 3 2011, 03:34 PM) *

We have them all (just like everything else) on the West Coast.

We cut up good ones just to piss the East Coasters off. If we don't cut them, we send them to George. av-943.gif

That's funny.....and true! lol-2.gif
tornik550
In the past 5 years, I have seen about 4- 914's in Columbus, Ohio (including mine). I have seen about 50 356's in the same time- strange.

Ian Stott
I feel surrounded by muscle cars here in Moncton, but that makes my teener a real attraction for car people. When James Smith comes across the border for a Canadian event we draw a lot of looks as nobody sees cars like ours, which is kinda neat but I wouldn't mind having a fellow teener owner to share with. My good buddy has a real nice Ghia and we go on little outings which is lots of fun, when I see the long string of teeners on those great outings in California it makes me wish to be there!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
SirAndy
I've made a map of weather stations around the world using the free Google Maps Api.

I could use the same code to make a map for our purpose. idea.gif

http://www.weatherlink.com/map.php

Initially, the dots are clustered by Latitude and Longitude squares and when you zoom in the number inside the dot tells you how many weather stations are in that area.

The clustering becomes smaller as you zoom in and eventually it will break out into each individual weather station.
Then you can click on a individual station to get more station details.

popcorn[1].gif
underthetire
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 3 2011, 08:40 PM) *

I've made a map of weather stations around the world using the free Google Maps Api.

http://www.weatherlink.com/map.php

Initially, the dots are clustered by Latitude and Longitude squares and when you zoom in the number inside the dot tells you how many weather stations are in that area.

The clustering becomes smaller as you zoom in and eventually it will break out into each individual weather station.
Then you can click on a individual station to get more station details.

popcorn[1].gif

Do it! type.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 3 2011, 09:13 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Do it! type.gif

agree.gif Do it! type.gif
carr914
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 3 2011, 02:48 PM) *

When I lived in Tampa a few years ago, I saw ONE 914 in a shop. that was it.

What shop and what color was the car - it was probably one of mine

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 3 2011, 02:58 PM) *

agree.gif Maybe more
veltror
QUOTE(Rod @ Jan 3 2011, 07:52 PM) *

Interesting question... To add a worldwide post to the thread, I honestly think their are less 914's in the uk than the total number of posts you have made on the forum biggrin.gif

I have never driven past another 914 whilst I have been driving mine over here and I have only ever seen three in my whole life on UK roads!!

Everybody that sees mine wants one though!! smilie_pokal.gif

I drove mine everyday for 15 years, I only passed one once, since I took mine off the road for some resto work I have seen two on the street...
DEC
In Germany are

948 914-4 incl. conversion 4er ->6er
147 914-6 original cars

registered by the KBA from 01.01.2010

plus many 914 which are driven with collector numbers
and not offical registered

smilie_flagge6.gif
sfrenck
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 4 2011, 01:12 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 3 2011, 09:13 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Do it! type.gif

agree.gif Do it! type.gif

Please do it pray.gif
RFoulds
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 4 2011, 03:28 AM) *

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 3 2011, 02:48 PM) *

What shop and what color was the car - it was probably one of mine

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 3 2011, 02:58 PM) *

agree.gif Maybe more

The one I saw was black or dark gray, in need of total restore. solid body though. It was in the Porsche shop on Hillsborough Ave, near the back side of the airport. Can't recall the guys name. Lots of track cars in his shop, really slow work out of there.
carr914
That would probably have been Dave White Autosport. He always had a lot of race cars there as he was a Past IMSA GT Champion. He retired a couple of years ago and got a Mint for his business - then the new owners changed the name, quit doing race cars and are gradually running the business into the ground.

I don't remember a Black or Dark Gray car though
RFoulds
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 4 2011, 01:21 PM) *

That would probably have been Dave White Autosport. He always had a lot of race cars there as he was a Past IMSA GT Champion. He retired a couple of years ago and got a Mint for his business - then the new owners changed the name, quit doing race cars and are gradually running the business into the ground.

I don't remember a Black or Dark Gray car though

That was it. Dave White. the 914 was a project that had been left in the shop for a few weeks untouched, and then picked up by the wone rwith nothing done cuz he got the high estimate.
Dave remembered seeing my first track car back when it raced at Sebring. was very suprised at how cheap I picke dit up and set up the cockpit adjust for the swaybars for me. Took them forever to get to it though. so I never went back.

Eric_Shea

The rest were at TC's house.
rnellums
There sem to be quite a few In the Denver area as well. I've driven by quite a few just in Golden. On the other hand, I've had mine in New Mexico for about 6 years and have only seen five, and two of those I bought!
914itis
Only know of 2 additional ones in nyc area + mine

plenty in NJ
hot_shoe914
I know of at least 10 in the Memphis area, and I have seen a few more, just don't know who they belong to.

Shoe
RFoulds
So, is anyone working on a map??? unsure.gif I tried the scribble maps but not near as easy to use as the old frapper.

Beyond my skills. type.gif
poorsche914
I just set up a map via google. Set so that anyone can add their info.

I started by placing a marker and titling it with my car info: '74 LE Creamsicle

In the text area, I put my forum name and then info about my 914s.

Take a look and add your info. Seems easy enough.

914s Around the World

driving.gif
RFoulds
Hey Thanks! I added my Oly Blue project. this might work!

Admins, what do you think about a new post with link as a sticky??
flipb
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jan 7 2011, 01:20 PM) *

I just set up a map via google. Set so that anyone can add their info.

I started by placing a marker and titling it with my car info: '74 LE Creamsicle

In the text area, I put my forum name and then info about my 914s.

Take a look and add your info. Seems easy enough.

914s Around the World

driving.gif

Bravo! I added mine too.

Directions for those who need:
Click the link. Then click the "Edit" button. Then click the pushpin icon to add a pin, and click in the vicinity of your car on the map... type in a title and description. Then click "Done" on the sidebar.

Everyone add yours!

(I imagine there's a batch way to take the VIN database, x-referenced with the owners' geographical location from profiles, idea.gif but maybe due to consent issues we should just let people add their own for now.)
poorsche914
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 7 2011, 01:40 PM) *

Hey Thanks! I added my Oly Blue project. this might work!

Admins, what do you think about a new post with link as a sticky??

agree.gif
RFoulds
QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 7 2011, 10:43 AM) *

Directions for those who need:
Click the link. Then click the "Edit" button. Then click the pushpin icon to add a pin, and click in the vicinity of your car on the map... type in a title and description. Then click "Done" on the sidebar.

If I may make a slight change. The edit button kinda messsed me up. Find your local BEFORE you hit edit and then add the push pin. Once you hit edit and select push pin I don't think yo ucan reposition the map.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 7 2011, 08:20 AM) *
So, is anyone working on a map??? unsure.gif

Yes ...
bandjoey
I know I'm blind but...... mad.gif
WHERE's he Edit button?
SirAndy
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 7 2011, 02:46 PM) *
I know I'm blind but...... mad.gif
WHERE's he Edit button?

confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.