Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type of Welding help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914outlaw
Hey guys,

I was thinking about taking a welding course at a local Votech school, but I wasn't sure if the type of welding they offer will help me on the 914. I am looking to weld some patch panels and and fix up the area beneath the hell hole. The course covers the following:

This course emphasizes:
1. Oxyacetylene welding and cutting
2. Electric arc welding
3. Heat selection on machines
4. Rod sizes and numbering
5. Safe and proper use of AC and
DC units
6. Tig and Mig welding demonstrations

I appreciate any advice as to whether or not this would help me. Or should I just buy a How to DVD on MIG welding. I just don't want to spend money on something that won't down the line.

Thanks,
Dave
draganc
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Jan 4 2011, 09:22 PM) *

Hey guys,

I was thinking about taking a welding course at a local Votech school, but I wasn't sure if the type of welding they offer will help me on the 914. I am looking to weld some patch panels and and fix up the area beneath the hell hole. The course covers the following:

This course emphasizes:
1. Oxyacetylene welding and cutting
2. Electric arc welding
3. Heat selection on machines
4. Rod sizes and numbering
5. Safe and proper use of AC and
DC units
6. Tig and Mig welding demonstrations

I appreciate any advice as to whether or not this would help me. Or should I just buy a How to DVD on MIG welding. I just don't want to spend money on something that won't down the line.

Thanks,
Dave

welcome.png

I'm no expert welder but beside #6 I don't think they will help you too much working on a 914. If you buy a MIG, do NOT buy a welder with FLUX core only!

Dragan

PS: I'm in Princeton, let me know if you need some help.
sww914
Almost everything you'll ever need to do on a 914 can be done with a 110v mig.
I taught the girl across the way how to do it in a few minutes and now she comes over to my shop with little welding projects to do herself. It's not very hard.
rick 918-S
Take the course. All fundamentals and practices will apply. The mig demonstration will be the most useful.. Besides it will be fun fun fun!
914outlaw
Thanks Dragan,
Yeah, that is what I thought. This is a Basic welding course offered at Ocean County Tech in Toms River. Their Advanced course covers Mig welding but you have to take the basic first.

I'm glad to see a fellow teener nearby. I will definitely keep you posted on my progress. I am hoping to make it roadworthy by the spring.

Thanks
Dave
plymouth37
Find a class that offers hands on mig welding, I took a good one at a community college when I was in high school, lightly covered: stick, mig, and tig. I have a small 220v gas shielded mig that is happy welding anything from bodywork to chassis fab, I would recommend a good all around machine like that.
914outlaw
Will do . Thanks for help guys.
nbscooters
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 4 2011, 09:46 PM) *

Take the course. All fundamentals and practices will apply. The mig demonstration will be the most useful.. Besides it will be fun fun fun!

This is true.

You can take a specific course on welding period but what you really need is to cover all of the fundamentals. ie you might be able to lay the nicest weld, but if you don't know what it takes to cut the metal, prep it, and weld it, you might be better off having some one else do it. sawzall-smiley.gif
geniusanthony
All good advice. I was mig'n before I learned gas and stick, but my welds improved considerably after I learned the other techniques from an actual instructor instead of just sticking metal together. The theory that any course will teach you will help you understand whats going on and keep you safe and your work safe as well.
draganc
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Jan 4 2011, 09:48 PM) *

Thanks Dragan,
Yeah, that is what I thought. This is a Basic welding course offered at Ocean County Tech in Toms River. Their Advanced course covers Mig welding but you have to take the basic first.

I'm glad to see a fellow teener nearby. I will definitely keep you posted on my progress. I am hoping to make it roadworthy by the spring.

Thanks
Dave

Spring what year? lol-2.gif

Send me a PM with contacts, I'm on vaction this week and can swing buy in Ewing - anways, I'm at Harbor freight almost once a week - and we can talk your project over. Search for "Hell hole" or rustoration and you will find a lot of good informaiton here.

Dragan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.