Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flights are booked for Jan 22. Destination Palm Springs/Santa Monica
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
Sandy and I will arrive in Palm Springs Ca. around 11:00 on the 22nd. We are both into Atomic age and Modern architecture so we are staying at the Orbit In. We have been looking for the opportunity to check it out for years. We plan on touring some of the mod homes in the area.

We will be traveling to Santa Monica on Monday morning where she has a meeting she needs to attend Tuesday. We'll have monday afternoon/evening and I'll have the whole day Tuesday to hang out up in that area. We will have a rental car so we can visit and see some of the sights. Anyone want to get a Burger or know of a cool place we need to see let us know!

Link to the Orbit In

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY8eRzqvTMQ
KaptKaos
http://www.eamesoffice.com/

It's in Santa Monica.
Rick,
We have a weekend place out there,Alexander built Wexler designed,
a real throw back in time..Let me know,We may be there that weekend... Let me know.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914 @ Jan 4 2011, 11:54 PM) *

Rick,
We have a weekend place out there,Alexander built Wexler designed,
a real throw back in time..Let me know,We may be there that weekend... Let me know.

Wow! that's cool Alan! I would be neat to see your place and meet you. I'll pm you my number. If you happen to be there give me a call. bye1.gif

Elliot Cannon
Hi Rick,
My wife and I stay at the Hideaway which is just down the street from and operated by the same people as the Orbit Inn (have an "Orbitini" for me). We'll be there in February during the Mid-Century Modern show. My wife and I are both big fans of mid-century architecture
and design. Try to check out "Sinatra House" if you get a chance. We came close to buying a house in Palm Springs but it was 107 degrees when we looked. Kinda scared my wife off. biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot
TC 914-8
While your in SO Cal you MUST have a In-N-Out burger, shake and fries. first.gif
When you are in SM, if you drop your wallet, kick it toward the door before you pick it up lol-2.gif sheeplove.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 5 2011, 12:10 AM) *

Hi Rick,
My wife and I stay at the Hideaway which is just down the street from and operated by the same people as the Orbit Inn (have an "Orbitini" for me). We'll be there in February during the Mid-Century Modern show. My wife and I are both big fans of mid-century architecture
and design. Try to check out "Sinatra House" if you get a chance. We came close to buying a house in Palm Springs but it was 107 degrees when we looked. Kinda scared my wife off. biggrin.gif
Cheers, Elliot

Ya, wish her meeting was next month. I met with a local architect last month about the plan for our house at the lake. I found this old sketch. We really like it. Our design won't be an exact copy but based on this design.

Click to view attachment

Just need to win the lottery... dry.gif
RFoulds
That house needs a 4 car garage attached.

Definitley not mid-century, but check out the piano bar at Melvyn's. Have you seen the architecture display at PS Art Museum?
I am at the other end of the valley in La Quinta.
I spent New Years Eve @ Melvyn's.The place really picked up after 10pm.Man there is some old money in that place..The cars and bling.... I would also recommended the Rivera Hotel, the Parker Hotel great mid century artwork.Also the Escena golf club house.

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 5 2011, 08:26 AM) *

That house needs a 4 car garage attached.

Definitley not mid-century, but check out the piano bar at Melvyn's. Have you seen the architecture display at PS Art Museum?
I am at the other end of the valley in La Quinta.

r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 5 2011, 08:43 AM) *

Hi Rick,
Cheers, Elliot

Ya, wish her meeting was next month. I met with a local architect last month about the plan for our house at the lake. I found this old sketch. We really like it. Our design won't be an exact copy but based on this design.

Click to view attachment

A flat roof in snow country
confused24.gif chair.gif happy11.gif poke.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
JoeSharp
The Shack on Jefferson or Island on Washington both have great bugers. I need to be able to leave that area by 2 in order to beat the traffic.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jan 5 2011, 05:46 PM) *

The Shack on Jefferson or Island on Washington both have great bugers. I need to be able to leave that area by 2 in order to beat the traffic.

You mean a Shack Burger in Playa Del Rey?!?! I might just have to make that. drunk.gif

Problem is my kids have soccer still. Two teams made it to the playoffs. I may be in Riverslime.. um.. er.. side. slits.gif

rick 918-S
It was -24 below Zero this morning. Were on the plane at 6 am and will be in Palm Springs by 11 am. I am sooo looking forward to nice weather. aktion035.gif
Mikey914
I'm going throught the PSP airport Monday, look like I'll just miss you.
rick 918-S
So far we have had an outragous time! The weather is wonderful. We met with Alan (914) He gave us a tour of his mid-century modern house. We told him he really needs to check out one of the World events. He showed us photos of his yellow 4 and yellow 6. Very cool! Then he told us about a development of new mid-century style houses that are being built here. We managed to get into a gated community and even ran into the listing agent purely by accident. He gave a a little time and we took some photos I'll post later.
boxstr
Burgers are great at Tylers in palm springs. Small little building across the street from the Hotel Zos.
Check out some of the furniture stores up on palm canyon drive, and Indian canyon drive. Also you can find allot of early modern furniture in the many consignment shops located in the valley.
107 degrees that is nothing. Try 120 at 9am. Also the
"monsoon season" is when the humidity rolls in and it will knock out the hardiest of desert rats.
Have a great time and enjoy yourselves.
Craig at CAMP
Rick,
It was nice to meet both of you!! We should of took a picture of both of us in my back yard,its nice to connect screen names to faces.. Have a safe trip.How is the Orbit Inn ?? Ive never been there...
Take Care,Alan
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914 @ Jan 23 2011, 09:14 PM) *

Rick,
It was nice to meet both of you!! We should of took a picture of both of us in my back yard,its nice to connect screen names to faces.. Have a safe trip.How is the Orbit Inn ?? Ive never been there...
Take Care,Alan

Yes, We should have! confused24.gif If you don't mind I will post some photos of the pool though. biggrin.gif The Orbit In is really cool! We are leaving in the morning though dry.gif wish I could live here. There are only nine rooms... We road bikes around town today.

Did you enjoy the CD?
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 5 2011, 05:43 AM) *

Hi Rick,
Cheers, Elliot

Click to view attachment

Is that an Eichler design?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 24 2011, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 5 2011, 05:43 AM) *

Hi Rick,
Cheers, Elliot

Click to view attachment

Is that an Eichler design?

Thanks for the invite over the weekend. We just had too much to do here locally to get over your way.

I'm not sure who did the design. I found this plan rendering on the internet.

Were heading for Santa Monica in a couple minutes.
rick 918-S
I drove down to see Sean Molloy's new shop in San Diego today. The last time Sean and I had a chance to talk was 05 WCR. I really enjoyed the time we had today. Sean is one of the worlds support staff. He is helping keep 914's alive one at a time.

Click to view attachment

On the way back to Santa Monica I stopped off in Huntington Beach and had a nice visit with our own cocktail maker Joe Sharp. Sorry, no photos, We were too busy shooting the breeze to take photos. chatsmiley.gif
Rick,
Ok to post pictures,the place has been a labor of love for me and my wife..
I cant get the Cd to work on my computer.Hope you two had a great
time.
Take Care,Alan

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 23 2011, 08:13 PM) *

QUOTE(914 @ Jan 23 2011, 09:14 PM) *

Rick,
Take Care,Alan

Yes, We should have! confused24.gif If you don't mind I will post some photos of the pool though. biggrin.gif The Orbit In is really cool! We are leaving in the morning though dry.gif wish I could live here. There are only nine rooms... We road bikes around town today.

Did you enjoy the CD?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.