Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nbscooters
I live in an area where aholes take dads hand me down pickup truck, put a lift kit, and fog lights on it. They spend hundreds of dollars on their trucks and they dont bother adjusting the headlights properly. Meanwhile they never get to really use the suspension on the truck other than driving down Beach Blvd. to hit the railroad tracks.

So I am wondering if anyone has ever tried attaching an auto dimming rear view mirror? I know it can be done no problem. I have seen some mirrors with all sorts of features....hmmmm
geniusanthony
First is there a factory alternative to this? For example do Porsche's factory offering come with auto-dimmers? This would keep it factory per-se. If I were swapping mirror out and trust me I do feel your pain with truck lights in your mirror, but I would want map lights integrated as well. I do find it easy enough though to flip the little tab and "manually" dim the mirror. The only experience I have with auto-dimmers is in my Lincoln, which BTW has a rather large mirror that would look out of place on our tiny windshields. That is a big consideration for me.. what would look right?

All the sensing modules are built in generally aren't they? All you would need to do is supply power if that were the case.
So, now as I write this I am thinking about those map lights and keeping the dimensions the same and I see small LEDs and microswitches in my future. We'll see.
Rod
Rig up the auto dimming circuit to your reversing lights - that should give them a fright!!
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(nbscooters @ Jan 4 2011, 11:30 PM) *

I live in an area where aholes take dads hand me down pickup truck, put a lift kit, and fog lights on it. They spend hundreds of dollars on their trucks and they dont bother adjusting the headlights properly. Meanwhile they never get to really use the suspension on the truck other than driving down Beach Blvd. to hit the railroad tracks.

So I am wondering if anyone has ever tried attaching an auto dimming rear view mirror? I know it can be done no problem. I have seen some mirrors with all sorts of features....hmmmm

agree.gif Orange County California, I thought it was just me, and one of the reasons I consider myself temporary here. If it were not for the recession I would still be in Santa Barbara......."Beach Blvd. to the rail road tracks 4x4 moment" ... Humvees to the Mall!.. Monster trucks to the Mini-Mart!... Urban assault SUV to the kids soccer game... A majority of the vehicles are oversized in the O.C. and they all ride your ass; you could do 60 mph on the Blvd. and somone will still want to ride you to the next light. Freeways are worse, If your not pushing 80 mph in a crowd your impeding the flow of traffic.

There is nothing besides flipping the mirror switch really..

Dark Tint your rear window?

Wear your sunglasses at night?

I was in Washington(The Gorge..Forest, Rivers,Snow/Oregon (Portland ... a city with lots of freeways) recently for approx 4 months, you do not see that many Monster Humvee Assualt SUV 4x4's even in the area where you can get snowed in for months at a time... People drive cautious more or less. It is like night and day compared to Orange County..

97% of the people drive like they do not want to get in an accident or cause one.
Krieger
My new Ford has this feature. It is the only thing I don't like on the car. It does work fast enough. When I drive at night I move a strip of electrical tape I keep on the back of the rearview mirror ove the sensor on that same mirror to trick it. Just flik the dang switch on your mirror.
underthetire
My Jeep has it, I love it. I did find them on line with a built in garage door opener at one time. That would be even better.

BTW I'm pretty sure my Jeep one is Bosch, those can be had at wreaking yards pretty cheap.
realred914
a great big giant huge krytonite nuclear red assed tail light aimed at their windscreen might keep them off your bumper. karma baby!!!!

me I personally dont like all them wiz bang electrical automatic things. heck i dont even use the manual dim feature on my cars that are so equiped (my older cars dont even have a manual night time mirror switch!) I simply move the mirror or tilt me head.

SirAndy
My stock rear view mirror has the little lever to manually change the angle if someone is blinding you.

I thought all 914's came with that option? No? confused24.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2011, 03:11 PM) *

My stock rear view mirror has the little lever to manually change the angle if someone is blinding you.

I thought all 914's came with that option? No? confused24.gif

Mine does. All I can say is it sure is nice having the auto dimming one, works quick, and as soon as the blinding lights from that lifted F350 with the soccer mom leave, it's right back to normal. Simple two wire hook up.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I HATE all bumper rideing Ass Holes. I have thought that Mounted 50 Gal

Sniper Rifle on the trunk lid would be a handy Acc. to

have !!!!! ar15.gif ar15.gif Peace Brother Peace

Dave slap.gif
mikea100
ebay search for "auto dimming mirror" returned few hundred of them. One was from 996, there were a few from Audis and VWs w/ compass.
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.