Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door handle question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matteyp
Does anyone know if the right and left side outside door handles on the 914s are interchangeable? I someone have 3 door handles and all of them are stamped with an L. I put the left door handle on the right and it seemed to work ok. Wondering why there stamped L and R if there interchangable. Thanks
URY914
They can be used on both sides. However if you look closely at a R and a L, the shape of the handle is different. The piece that you pull on to open it follows the shape of the door edge.
type47
I'm gonna say no since the PET shows a left and right part number. They look close but I think no.
RJMII
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 5 2011, 06:36 AM) *

They can be used on both sides. However if you look closely at a R and a L, the shape of the handle is different. The piece that you pull on to open it follows the shape of the door edge.

agree.gif

I've heard a rumor that if you get a flap from an R door and put it on an L doorhandle and it will work on the L side.
dflesburg
Who needs door handles?

Just cut the windshield off and weld the doors shut like URY914... LOL

Then just try the old Magnum PI jump in the car without opening the door...

markb
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 5 2011, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 5 2011, 06:36 AM) *

agree.gif

I've heard a rumor that if you get a flap from an R door and put it on an L doorhandle and it will work on the L side.

agree.gif

Drivers side handles break much more often then passenger side, I bet you could sell 2 of the lefts & buy a good right.
URY914
Actually the rights break as much as the lefts. I repair both pretty evenly by the numbers. The rights get broken because unknowing passengers think you need to pull on the handle like you're opening a door of a Mack truck.
markb
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 5 2011, 10:00 AM) *

Actually the rights break as much as the lefts. I repair both pretty evenly by the numbers. The rights get broken because unknowing passengers think you need to pull on the handle like you're opening a door of a Mack truck.

That would make sense. I've had way too many passengers do just that. dry.gif
URY914
The best way to open the door is with your thumb. Hook your thumb under the "flapper" and unlatch it. Don't pull on it with you fingers under the flapper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.