Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine or Starter Seized up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Levi
I tried to turn the engine over on the new 74 2.0 car and no go, it seems that either the started or the engine are seized, I could hear the starter hum but it wouldn't turn, I put the car on jack stands and went under to have a look around, There is no exhaust at all, none, zero, zip...looking up into the head the valves look a little cruddy.
In the morning I think I'll pull the plugs to see if there is any rust or crap on them, I'm also planning to pull the starter and check it.

This car has been sitting for up to 8 years the last license tabs expired in May of 1996, it looks like it was under a tree or shaded as there was moss on it.

The good news....
I just can't find any rust cancer anywhere on it, the body and interior are in great shape, and it still has the original GA code 2.0 engine...oh and the Dellorto's are DRLA-36's.

I'm sure open to any advise on how to proceed with the engine.
blink.gif
Rusty
I think pulling the plugs and the starter is a good starting point. Pull the plugs first, then try to turn it over. If it's hydrolocked, that'll give the fluid trapped in the cylinders (water, fuel, Captain & Coke) a place to go.

Post some before/after cleanup pictures, if you can.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Levi
Rusty,
I don't suspect water or liquid in the motor, the oil isn't white or gray, I suspect condensation might have rusted the cylinder walls..rings etc...
BUT I'm hoping its the starter thats rusted inside, I have no real Idea as to the history of this car as I bought it at a Towing company auction, I can say I've deduced a couple things about it 1st is that someone took good care of it while its was on the road and 2nd is its sat for a long time, I found 2 receipts in the glove box one was the WA. State vehicle emissions report showing it FAILED in 1996 and also a repair shop bill at that same time for a valve adjustment and the shop also tested the emissions and it still wouldn't pass because of the missing FI plus on the bill they indicated that the carbs needed to be balanced or adjusted. so it was not licensed again and must have set.
ablose58
When you pull the plugs, try fogging the cyls with fogging oil and while the rear is up try putting the car in 4th or 5th and turn it over by hand. AL wink.gif
GWN7
Marvel Mystery oil in the cyl and let it sit for a day....then try the turnover by hand. Pull the gas tank and have it cleaned, then mabey POR 15 it. It's been sitting for 6-7 years. Replace the fuel filter........
Levi
My plan is to put marvel mystery oil in each cylinder for 2 or 3 days, I've used it many times on old seized up tractor engined with great success.

I checked the gas tank and it has several gallons of bad nasty gas in it, I didn't see any rust or corrosion in it.

If I find that the engine is seized I will pull it and go through it. I beleive it would do more harm then good to try getting it loose and staring it. I want to save that engine.
Levi
Well the plugs look black but no rust or corrosion, Now on to the starter...I'm hopefull..
jd74914
My plan is to put marvel mystery oil in each cylinder for 2 or 3 days

agree.gif agree.gif

It's always worked for me (on all cars and tractors). Good Luck beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.