Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
I know the first number below is a later model mag case 901.

The number is 914.301.301.03.

Also have a case with 914.301.302.00 on the back.

Anyone know the nomenclature of the numbers?
Dr Evil
Those are part numbers. Not the transmission number. The number for the transmission is on the bottom of the case center rib.

I think the numbers you posted are tail cone part numbers. smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 5 2011, 05:26 PM) *

Those are part numbers. Not the transmission number. The number for the transmission is on the bottom of the case center rib.

I think the numbers you posted are tail cone part numbers. smile.gif

Thanks/ you are right.

On my race transmission on the bottom:
914/1 (maybe an H or maybe Y) 004 8078

Does this help?
Richard Casto
Randal,

Try the information here...

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php?tit...14_transmission

That page has info on "type" and "serial" numbers. It also has some example photos of some of the different stamping combos. I am guessing you are having a hard time reading what is stamped on the bottom. A combination of grease and/or the fact it's on the bottom and in a place that can get scraped up a bit makes them hard to read.

As it stands right now, the info you give doesn't really 100% match up to what I would expect it to be, but it's close. My best guess (assuming you are miss reading some characters/numbers) at this point is that it started it's life as a 914/11 1972. Might it be 914/11 HA0048078? As you can see from the photos on that page, they really were all of the place as to how they stamped them. Sometimes it is type and serial, sometimes it's just the serial and then later on the "serial" number was really day of manufacture, so assuming they made more than one a day (!) you would have multiple with the same value stamped on them.

You didn't say if it was a tail or side. The 914/11 is a tail shift, but either way, it could have started life as a tail and then converted to side. And as always if someone has done work to it, who knows what gears are inside at this point.

Richard
detoxcowboy
"HA" is the norm but if it is "HB" you can give it to me and I will care for it.. laugh.gif

read this and in there you will see what I mean by "HB" cases

linky from DR. EVIL world memeber/transmission surgeon....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=218669
Randal
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jan 6 2011, 06:27 AM) *

Randal,

Try the information here...

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php?tit...14_transmission

That page has info on "type" and "serial" numbers. It also has some example photos of some of the different stamping combos. I am guessing you are having a hard time reading what is stamped on the bottom. A combination of grease and/or the fact it's on the bottom and in a place that can get scraped up a bit makes them hard to read.

As it stands right now, the info you give doesn't really 100% match up to what I would expect it to be, but it's close. My best guess (assuming you are miss reading some characters/numbers) at this point is that it started it's life as a 914/11 1972. Might it be 914/11 HA0048078? As you can see from the photos on that page, they really were all of the place as to how they stamped them. Sometimes it is type and serial, sometimes it's just the serial and then later on the "serial" number was really day of manufacture, so assuming they made more than one a day (!) you would have multiple with the same value stamped on them.

You didn't say if it was a tail or side. The 914/11 is a tail shift, but either way, it could have started life as a tail and then converted to side. And as always if someone has done work to it, who knows what gears are inside at this point.

Richard

Tough to read as that 5th number is toast. I'll take a picture.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 6 2011, 09:52 AM) *

"HA" is the norm but if it is "HB" you can give it to me and I will care for it.. laugh.gif

Yes, if it has a prefix of "H", then with that style of numbering the next letter indicates the factory differential type. A = Open Diff while B = LSD. There is a photo on the link above of an example of this. The earlier style uses a "10" to indicate factory LSD. As the factory LSD is more rare, I think there was less uniformity as to how those were stamped.

Richard
Randal
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jan 6 2011, 10:27 AM) *

Yes, if it has a prefix of "H", then with that style of numbering the next letter indicates the factory differential type. A = Open Diff while B = LSD. There is a photo on the link above of an example of this. The earlier style uses a "10" to indicate factory LSD. As the factory LSD is more rare, I think there was less uniformity as to how those were stamped.

Richard

Tough to read:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

As best I can tell: 914/ 11(something)400480

It is a side shifter and currently is configured as an MSX box with a Guard clutch type posi. Also has an intermediate plate.
Dr Evil
HA
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jan 6 2011, 10:27 AM) *

Richard

Did not know that, very cool thanks! This is why I am on this site..
Randal
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 7 2011, 06:31 AM) *

HA

Thanks.

At my first glance I thought you were laughing at me... smile.gif
Dr Evil
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.