Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I wanna see some pics of bracing...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave Cawdrey
Got the trunk pretty much stripped to bare metal. I am considsering bracing it up a bit back there. Looking for ideas and pics...
BTW, I wanna keep the targa holders, if I can.
MDB2.gif
Brad Roberts
Unless you have a main hoop to tie some bars into.. there really is no need for bracing back there. No side load on the shock towers... and really nothing needed from the shock towers to the trunk floor cross brace.

My thoughts: leave it alone.

B
Dave Cawdrey
Okay, if the 'master' says so. pray.gif
Brad Roberts
It only becomes a problem after 1-2 years of racing every other weekend and running 200+ rate springs over that time. 180's wont crack anything unless you race the car EVERY weekend and started out with a rusty/questionable tub.

B
URY914
Here is a shot of my rear bracing, but as you can see there is not much left anyway. The object here was to strengthen the transaxle mounting point by adding the bars.

This would not be needed in a stock, or semi-stock car.

Paul
Brad Roberts
Yep.. the engine and tranny are not trying to fall out of the car during racing. They are trying to lift up and to left.

B
Porsche Rescue
Brad, trust me here, I am not trying to argue with your opinion, just want to learn a bit. I have an autocross prepared car in which the PO installed a rear truss (Weltmeister probably). You and others (my friend JP for one) have said it has no real value. However, a picture of a factory 914-6 GT in the book "Caught By Camera: Porsche 914", page 57, shows a very similar device in the rear trunk. What are your thoughts?
Jeroen
Jim,

I seriously doubt that the bracing is factory (just like the "catch tank" in the same pic)

The firewall between the trunk and the engine compartment is sandwiched sheetmetal, so it's a very strong brace between the rear shock towers

cheers,

Jeroen
Porsche Rescue
Good point Jeroen. Just looked at that pic again and I too can't believe the catch tank is a factory item. It does appear though that someone 30+ years ago thought they were doing something good with that truss.
Aaron Cox
BUT....Up front, the gt-6 didnt have the gas tank seperation bulkhead (carpeted thingy) It had a large brace between strut housings. I didnt think it had anything non stock out back (braced "boxed" trailing arms. and stiffining plates)
Jeroen
Jim,

I think someone did this because they saw shocktower braces on other cars and thought it would be a good idea for the rear of the 914 as well.

I'd say that the brace was added to the car at a much later point

Aaron,

the bracing of the front is done because the stock firewall has been cut out to fit that big enduro gas tank (25 gallon).
That brace is bolted in, so they can remove it to remove the tank...

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
You guy's dont need me... I'll go back to work. Thanks Jeroen.

Seriously.. Jim,

Lets think about how much the factory new about the 914's compared to what we know today. They raced them straight out of the factory with NO testing. They patched things as they went along and found problems. I have dealt with Porsche factory race cars for the last 4 years now (GT3/GT3R+S's) They lierally slap them together and send them out the door and let the teams further develop the cars. Many of the former racers from the early 70's say nothing has changed....They did the same thing back then. My point is: people tried all kinds of stuff that may or may not have worked. Dont beleive everything you see/read. Test it for yourself or have us break it down for you.

Oh.. its OK to question anything I say. Dont be scared. It wouldnt be any fun... if everything I said was the gospel. LOL

B
joea9146
Paul:

Just curious why did you cut out the back of the car ??
SirAndy
QUOTE(joea9146 @ Apr 12 2003, 10:31 AM)

less weight plus much easier access to the transmission etc. ...
seanery
weight savings for paul, have you seen that thing it prolly only weighs 25lbs wet!
URY914
Joe,
Andy is right. Save some weight and I can tighten the CV bolts from the top. The next step is to cut the sheet metal out completely around and between the tail lights. I'll have to support the oil cooler off the rear of the tranny.
TimT
Guys let me know if this is 20 Lbs of crap Im driving around with....

It was on the car when I bought it..
Porsche Rescue
I think the answer is "yes" according to the pros. That's what I have too. Not going to take it out though.
Looks good and who needs holes to fill!
Jeroen
loose it biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(joea9146 @ Apr 12 2003, 10:31 AM)
Paul:

laugh.gif RUST!!!!!! laugh.gif
jonwatts
Guys let me know if this is 20 Lbs of crap Im driving around with....

If it's not Scotish... IT'S CRAP!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.