Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carpet for rear fire wall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tradisrad
I am going to carpet the back pad area and I am looking for a local store to buy the carpet. Does any one know of a store that sells carpet that would be suitable for this? Perferably on the peninsula.
I know that morph sells a carpet kit, but he wants $80 and I am looking for a more budget minded solution. I will use his kit if I can't find anything else.

Also any tip on the installation process would be helpful. I would like to avoid using adhesive on the factory sound pad.
Jeffs9146
Rob, Are you going to be around to show your dash today??
tradisrad
Jeff, the dash is sold. Sorry.
Jeffs9146
No problem! Thanks!
EdwardBlume
Felt or carpet?

Felt you can find at a fabric store. Carpet you can get from a carpet store. I walked into in San Jose and bought a few yards for my old car.. S&G I think. Most wholesale carpet places can work wtih you.. but you really want somthing on the thin side and plyable...

Good luck.
Black22
I got a roll of black plush that matches my carpet kit from O'reillys/Kragen. It was 14 bucks for a 3' x 9' roll IIRC. Worked out great. Then I got a piece of aluminum carpet trim to make the border against to back window clean. I haven't completely insatlled that part yet but I cut it to size and test fit it. It's gonna look good.
PanelBilly
Home Depot has some think light grey stuff
stugray
Black22,

You took the exact words right out of my mouth.

I am doing exactly the same thing.
I have even fabricated the aluminum strip to make the border.
I had to remove the clips that hold the rear valence so that the trim will fit flush.
I will pop rivet the trim piece in then install the carpet.

I got the same carpet from checker (Oreilly's)
Now we shall see if it will conform nicely or not.

Stu
Black22
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 6 2011, 10:46 AM) *

Black22,

You took the exact words right out of my mouth.

I am doing exactly the same thing.
I have even fabricated the aluminum strip to make the border.
I had to remove the clips that hold the rear valence so that the trim will fit flush.
I will pop rivet the trim piece in then install the carpet.

I got the same carpet from checker (Oreilly's)
Now we shall see if it will conform nicely or not.

Stu

It will conform very well. I was surprised how easy it went down. I only had 2ea 3" wrinkles that I could have avoided had I took my time and not been working against the glue clock. I suggest (if you are using 3M spray adhesive) spray half the wall and apply the carpet, then the other half and finish. I sprayed the whole wall and found my self rushing to get it down. Good luck and have fun!
underthetire
Last time I was at Walmart, they had rolls of it (plush) for ~10 bucks.
tradisrad
Black22, do you have any pictures of your install? What did you do for the light?

I am putting Miata seats in the car and they dont fit well with the stock back pad. I've got the seat sitting fairly low with custom mounts (feels almost stock height), so to finish the project I need to carpet.

I'll check out kragen and walmart and see what they have.
realred914
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jan 6 2011, 12:14 PM) *

Black22, do you have any pictures of your install? What did you do for the light?

I am putting Miata seats in the car and they dont fit well with the stock back pad. I've got the seat sitting fairly low with custom mounts (feels almost stock height), so to finish the project I need to carpet.

sound like you got it worked out cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

his mazda seats do look good in teh car!!!!!!
Beach914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Hey post some pics guys so we can see the cool work thats being done!!!!

I'm going to be doing the same thing now that I've got my new seats and your experiences are helpful.

I also concur that Home Depot and Lowes has some gray and black stuff that might also work. The amount for what you pay at O'Reilly/Kragen isn't worth it.

Thanks
Black22
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jan 6 2011, 12:14 PM) *

No pics yet. Not done installing the aluminum trim. I eliminated the light and purchased a map light that works from the cigarette lighter on an adjustable gooseneck. I'm not sure if I'll install the light later or sell it (it has the chrome surround). I only get to work on my car one day a week. Work and other projects to juggle. I'll post a whole thread on my rebuild soon that way you guys can see It start to finish.

Not sure how you could not install without adhesive on the sound pad though.
Black22
Sorry duplicate post! headbang.gif
tradisrad
here is a link to a thread with a pic of the miata seat (on 914 rails) before I made my own mounts.
I'll post more when the project resumes...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...76&hl=miata
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.