Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 electric heater
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
Stopeed in to see how my creamsickle engine is comming along and the owner shows me a under dash electric heater he pulled out of a 914. He thinks it was 74 or 75, but he swears that the thing looked OEM. Metal tube with element inside of it. Wiring looked like everything else I've seen on my cars.

Now here's some photos

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 6 2011, 09:12 PM) *

Sopeed in to see how my creamsickle engine is comming along and the owner shows me a under dash electric heater he pulled out of a 914. He thinks it was 74 or 75, but he swears that the thing looked OEM. Metal tube with element inside of it. Wiring looked like everything else I've seen on my cars. I didn't have my camera, but I'm going back to take a picture.

I'd sure like to have one of these so I don't need exchanger on my /6. That is if he'll sell it at a reasonable price

Did it have a small electric blower motor? I remember them being sold aftermarket for supplimentry heat.
jt914-6
I don't know of any 12 volt "OEM" heater for a 914....I do have this one in mine...connected directly to the battery with a fuse of course....it helps warm the inside as I have headers...also taking heat from the oil cooler.....but that's another thread..... http://www.amazon.com/Back-Seat-Heat-Truck...r/dp/B0002D6JW8

Click to view attachment
Tom
Slight hi-jack for a question and info.
jt914-6,
Does that heater really help? It is advertised at 1100 BTU which is 325 watts. Doesn't seem much to me. The problem with electric heat in a car is the voltage level is so low. For instance for 325 watts at 12.5 volts( assuming the engine is running and charging system is good) = about 25 amps. A lot of current for very little heat Most hair dryers put out over 1000 watts of heat. I suppost when it is really cold, any heat would be welcome tho'.
Tom
jt914-6
Tom....it's not going to make you take off your jacket, but it helps some....better than nothing...a good hand warmer at least.....I'm using a 70amp alt. and it doesn't phase it or the battery....having good top/door seals help keep the cold air out as well...I also have blocked off the fresh air from the factory box...as I said...am using some heat from the front mounted oil cooler too....Pcar916 (Ron) is doing the same except he has a 3.6 and no engine mounted cooler. Oil cooler used as a heater core is working for us.....
PanelBilly
Little bump, so you can see the picture I took
underthetire
Cool, er hot! A friend on here just gave me a brand new gas fire heater. Not much larger than that electric one. Not sure if I'm going to use it yet.
Al Meredith
904SVO on this board has a Beck 904 kit with a TY4 . He uses an electric marine oil pump to pump engine oil through a remote stock 914 oil cooler and then returns the oil to a spray rail in the valve cover. Larry, correct me if I misrepresented your system . AL
bandjoey
Can't read the sticker due to the glare. Can you type up what it says? Is the switch a push in or rheostat? Looks like it's a small 12v hair dryer.
sean_v8_914
just have ANdy take the picture
jim_hoyland
Nice unit...have you had a chance to bench test it ? Curious as to what the output feels like.
r_towle
cant be much of a heater....elec heaters equal power in= power out (heat)

Our low output alternators cant possibly create enough power to really make a 12vdc heater work.
I had a big ass one in a motorhome...still did not put out.

When you want heat....use fuel.
Go with the gas heater, and get the remote start for it...that makes it really nice to get into a warm car.

Rich
JmuRiz
Pretty cool little device, not sure how well it'd work, but has to be better than nothing.

That oil-cooler as a heater core is a cool idea for those with front-mount oil coolers. Mine will be a rear oil cooler though...so I'll probably go with heated seats...or just take another car when it's cold.
Steve
I'm running the standard Mocal 180 degree thermostat and it takes forever for my 3.2 to get hot enough to even use the front oil cooler especially in the winter time. I would be at my destination before I got any heat off of my front oil cooler. It's too bad the BB or GHL heat exchangers suck for heat.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jan 24 2011, 10:37 PM) *

904SVO on this board has a Beck 904 kit with a TY4 . He uses an electric marine oil pump to pump engine oil through a remote stock 914 oil cooler and then returns the oil to a spray rail in the valve cover. Larry, correct me if I misrepresented your system . AL

I'd like to see this set-up!
Any linky? popcorn[1].gif
904svo
Unit is now mounted in car. Here's the best I can do now.

Click to view attachment

PThompson509
You guys only have 12v in your car? Sheesh, I've got 370v! beerchug.gif

Of course, I still have to get a heater that can handle that much power. Too bad the fan doesn't work. headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.