Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning a /6 oil tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
I have this oil tank from a /6 thats going in my car, any recommendations on cleaning it? Can't sandblast it.

IPB Image

IPB Image
mepstein
Looks nice enough that you might not have to strip and replate with copper & paint. Maybe just a citris cleaner? But you should still get the inside very clean/rust free. Pressure test is also a good idea so you don't install and find an oil leak.

I've read posts that the late model cars have door reinforcement inside the fender that interferes with the tank and might need some clearance.
Krieger
I'd be leary about sand getting left behind and effing up you expensve motor. I heard people take these to a radiator shop and have them cleaned there.
ME733
....... I have done this, Remove all fittings. Take the tank to your local do it yourself car wash using the degreaser you brought,and clean it as good as you possably can. Then take the oil tank to a recommended radiator shop for a through soaking and cleaning. A little extra $ on the side will get it steam cleaned inside. Hang around and watch...$$.., Then take it Home and flush out with soap and water, and finish with water. Use your shop vaccum on the suction side to help air dry it. Paint it with EPOXY PAINT....let it sit a day to ensure its dry. Put some marvel mystery oil, or lightweight motor oil in the tank and slosh it around. Install Fittings and tape up all openings. Your tank will be ready to use.
laflaur
I did the same as ME,except when I got to the end I used a por 15 treatmrnt that involved a product called marine clean, then I coated the inside of it with some sort of por 15 epoxy that dried really hard.Been eight years and no problems.Also did the inside of my gas tank with the same product.
mepstein
I still have to clean mine out but once it's to shiny metal inside, im going to pour some oil in it and cap off until im ready to run.
Scott S
Took mine to a local radiator shop - it came out great. All of the gunk is gone from the outside, as well as a good portion of the paint, but the copper was 100% intact. They checked it for leaks and then rinsed it and sprayed the inside with a thin oil to prevent any rusting prior to install. They told me to throw some cheap oil in it and really slosh it around, then drain it. I plan on doing this a few times prior to installing and using it.
rgalla9146
If you take it to a radiator place make sure they don't put any access holes in it.
I got a ruined 911 gas tank that way.
I was able to clean up a varnishy / rusty gas tank was with a product from this company. safest rust remover.com
This stuff has no terrible odor and is water soluable.
I'm familiar with 6 oil tanks.
Probably best to imerse the tank a few times in various positions to insure complete contact on all interior surfaces.
I kept the solution warm by placing a heat lamp nearby.
The pressure test is a good idea and a radiator shop can certainly do that.
Contact me if I can help.
Rory
RiqueMar
Thanks for the response guys! I'm looking up shops right now! piratenanner.gif

Anyone have any recommendations in the San Diego area?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jan 7 2011, 09:31 AM) *

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm looking up shops right now! piratenanner.gif

Anyone have any recommendations in the San Diego area?

.... No one in San Diego wants to do it dry.gif
mepstein
When I called around, I had the same challenge. All the radiator shops around here got rid of there hot tanks. If I can't get it hot tanked, I may use Hydrochloric (Muriatic) Acid to remove rust and scale and then neutralize the tank and waste acid with baking soda. I think it's probably an enviro issue with the hot tanks so I wouldn't be surprised if CA has eliminated them. You can get the acid pretty cheap at a pool supply store. If someone has a better meathod I'm listening. Mark

Use safety precautions with acid!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 7 2011, 10:08 AM) *

When I called around, I had the same challenge. All the radiator shops around here got rid of there hot tanks. If I can't get it hot tanked, I may use Hydrochloric (Muriatic) Acid to remove rust and scale and then neutralize the tank and waste acid with baking soda. I think it's probably an enviro issue with the hot tanks so I wouldn't be surprised if CA has eliminated them. You can get the acid pretty cheap at a pool supply store. If someone has a better meathod I'm listening. Mark

Use safety precautions with acid!

Found a place! Guy says about 100-120$, does that sound about right? Don't wanna be one of THOSE guys sheeplove.gif

Also, is there anything I need to know when taking it. Pressure limits? Do's and Dont's.
9146BRUCE
Hi try Pacific Oil Cooler Service thats where I sent mine they do P51 Mustang oil tanks.A great place and fast.

Bruce
mepstein
QUOTE(9146BRUCE @ Jan 7 2011, 02:32 PM) *

Hi try Pacific Oil Cooler Service thats where I sent mine they do P51 Mustang oil tanks.A great place and fast.

Bruce

Thanks for the info, What do they charge?
9146BRUCE
I think it was about 175.00 cleaned and repainted.
9146BRUCE
and pressure tested
mepstein
Did they replate with copper?
Al Meredith
I have not done an oil tank ,but I have taken two fuel tanks to Sims Radiator in Chamblee , GA . They are right near a large private airport and I'm sure they do a lot of aircraft work.
ME733
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jan 7 2011, 07:13 PM) *

I have not done an oil tank ,but I have taken two fuel tanks to Sims Radiator in Chamblee , GA . They are right near a large private airport and I'm sure they do a lot of aircraft work.

.............Sims Radiator is who I used. They are located near the Dekalb Airport. They were located way over in decatur years ago. , by the way. They know what they are doing and how best to handle the oil tank., you should still perform the final cleaning steps yourself, as explained previously.
ME733
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jan 7 2011, 11:17 AM) *

Took mine to a local radiator shop - it came out great. All of the gunk is gone from the outside, as well as a good portion of the paint, but the copper was 100% intact. They checked it for leaks and then rinsed it and sprayed the inside with a thin oil to prevent any rusting prior to install. They told me to throw some cheap oil in it and really slosh it around, then drain it. I plan on doing this a few times prior to installing and using it.

..............CAUTION......Radiator shops use Water soluable oil. It,s thin and will evaporate, leaving water in the tank which will cause rust to form. Do a finish cleaning process before you store the tank., not just when you plan to install it.
sww914
I did one a few months ago. It was $50.00 to get it boiled out at the radiator shop 35 miles from me, nobody closer would touch it. I washed it out really well with mineral spirits and then lacquer thinner to get their acid & water all out of it and then let it dry out in the sun for a few hours before I painted it with Wurth semi-gloss trim paint. Came out way better that any part that you can't see should have.
moparrob
Here is a quote I got from Pacific last August:

We can overhaul your tank for $143.00.

The turn time is 4-5 days in shop and any repairs are billed at $100.00 per hour.

This includes my request for the entire exterior to be epoxy painted black.

Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.