Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP / expoert advise on PRE PURCHASE 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dirty Evo
hey guys... I may have found a 914 locally that I am interested in

see link

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=248640

I am looking for a good starting point to make a nice track day car (thunderhill / Infineon / Lagun Seca) for about 15-20 track days per year. I do not race, but it will be almost a dedicated track car, but registered for street for occasional canyon runs or backroad drives and tuning.

I wanted something with strong, solid later model engine, hopefully some brake upgrades, steel flares. I don't want to be rebuliding engins...

i wanted something with no rust.

I just wante something that can be driven NOW, and then gradually improved and enhanced and personalized. I don't want t ground up project, I don't have that kind of patience or skill I LIKE DRIVING WAY MORE than I liek WORKING on cars.

where I need your help:
1) OPINIONS on this car
2) WHAT QUESTIONS DO I NEED TO BE ASKING OF TEH SELLER
3) WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR
4) ANYBODY IN NORCAL WHO KNOWS A LOT MORE THAN ME INTERESTED IN GOING WITH ME TO LOOK AT THE CAR AND GIVING MY OPINION

any other advise

HELP!
914Sixer
OVERPRICED !
Dirty Evo
Thanks for input... more from others please... open to anything anybody has to say.
Cairo94507
As much as I would love to see that car go for the asking price, I do think it is a little high. The pictures are not the greatest for sure. The car looks like it is all there but needing clean up. I was thinking about $20K, and I base that on what I paid for for my six which needs some work to be a driver.
Good luck.
flipb
Sorry in advance if this is already obvious to you, but...

Buying a factory 914-6 will cost substantially more than buying a nice 914 that somebody upgraded to a 6, due to rarity. (3300 ever made)

This one has been on sale for a while by a well-respected active member here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114210

(Heard lots of good things from folks who've see it in person)
carr914
Bottom looked pretty rusty

Dirty Evo
QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 7 2011, 05:13 PM) *

Sorry in advance if this is already obvious to you, but...

Buying a factory 914-6 will cost substantially more than buying a nice 914 that somebody upgraded to a 6, due to rarity. (3300 ever made)

This one has been on sale for a while by a well-respected active member here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114210

(Heard lots of good things from folks who've see it in person)

Cool, I am glad people are replying / adding their input.. I love this site. I read a lot even though I never post (I have nothign to contribute so I keep my mouth shut).

Ok a question on this yellow one. I don't mean to sound like a stupid petty punk kid... but I don't like the body. EVERYTHING about that yellow one is perfect, (I am 100% happy with a conversion, not an original 914) exccept I don't like the body. What I want the car to look like is straight 914-6 GT.. you know, like the ones that raced at Le Mans or whatever, you know what I mean. So, how hard / costly would it be for me to buy the yellow one adn then "convert' it to tht look.. take of that body kit, go with standard metal GT flares and the more basic GT look? Is that a crazy idea? Because overall, that yellow car is what I want, just not the look I want. that is all.

JoeSharp
Eliot's car is in Paso Robles. You should take a drive down there and look at it. It is built as a race car so all you need to do is set-up. That in it self is alot of work. Good quality work on that car. Oh and it's cheaper than that rusty -6 that someone should restore.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Dirty Evo @ Jan 7 2011, 05:28 PM) *

Cool, I am glad people are replying / adding their input.. I love this site. I read a lot even though I never post (I have nothign to contribute so I keep my mouth shut).

Ok a question on this yellow one. I don't mean to sound like a stupid petty punk kid... but I don't like the body. EVERYTHING about that yellow one is perfect, (I am 100% happy with a conversion, not an original 914) exccept I don't like the body. What I want the car to look like is straight 914-6 GT.. you know, like the ones that raced at Le Mans or whatever, you know what I mean. So, how hard / costly would it be for me to buy the yellow one adn then "convert' it to tht look.. take of that body kit, go with standard metal GT flares and the more basic GT look? Is that a crazy idea? Because overall, that yellow car is what I want, just not the look I want. that is all.

The yellow car, Elliot's is a bad ass car! You must see it. It would be very hard to "convert" it back to steel fenders and flairs unless you like welding. It has an IMSA type body kit held on with dzus (spelling?) fasteners. It is a streetable race car. Fuel injected. Bad Ass car! It would cast over $50k to duplicate. I have seen it in person and would buy it in an instant if I had the disposable cash. If you want to get in and go racing, this car is the one.
Dirty Evo
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 7 2011, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Dirty Evo @ Jan 7 2011, 05:28 PM) *

The yellow car, Elliot's is a bad ass car! You must see it. It would be very hard to "convert" it back to steel fenders and flairs unless you like welding. It has an IMSA type body kit held on with dzus (spelling?) fasteners. It is a streetable race car. Fuel injected. Bad Ass car! It would cast over $50k to duplicate. I have seen it in person and would buy it in an instant if I had the disposable cash. If you want to get in and go racing, this car is the one.

Hmmm.. I sent him a PM asking his opinion. I don't want to race, just for about 15-20 DE events per year, but not racing.. but I want something I could drive on street too. I just REALLY want that GT look.. I guess it would be some major / expensive body work to convert to that. Hmm.

yes, honestly, his car seems perfect except for my picky pettiness on the look.
Mike Bellis
Go see it in person before you knock the "look". His car is really pretty wub.gif I suppose you could get some fiberglass GT frnders and attach them the same way. I'm sure the PCA guys would give much respect on DE days with Elliot's car.
Chris Pincetich
Don't buy Elliot's 914 - I want it!
I have $91.40 saved
That is one SICK RIDE. I like that body kit better than boxy OEM flares, but that is just me. I have seen it in person. Top notch construction. Many trick details. Loud and fast even standing still. beerchug.gif

welcome.png
Jeffs9146
I could go look at the black one next week if you want! I just sold mine to a guy in Finland!

Here is the one that I sold!
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 7 2011, 05:51 PM) *
I suppose you could get some fiberglass GT fenders and attach them the same way. I'm sure the PCA guys would give much respect on DE days with Elliot's car.

agree.gif
I second Elliuts car ...

You can buy whole GT style FG fenders to replace the body kit. Or, if you are handy with a welder, get quarter panels of a parts car and turn it back to metal fenders.
Neither of which should be a deal killer.

popcorn[1].gif
jim_hoyland
I got to ride in Elliots car at the Seattle WCR and Lake Tahoe; for the price, it's a sreaming deal. The car is in remarkely good condition and really goes-
sww914
I've seen Elliot's car in person several times, it's a hell of a good car. You get $150,000.00 sports car performance for 20 grand. You couldn't even buy the parts to build that car for 20k. I know, I was assembling parts to build a similar car, same engine, same body.
That's one of Roger Sheridan's bodies, see more pics at www.ultimate914.com
That's the "narrow" body. It is undoubtedly the highest quality fiberglass available.
I just can't say enough about that yellow car except maybe it's a little too fast. smile.gif
KELTY360
Hey Elliott, how much are you paying these guys to shill the Zonker? poke.gif

Seriously, I saw this car in Seattle when he drove it up for WCR. Amazing. He's driven it to events all up and down the west coast so in addition to being fast it's proven streetable also. I'll bet he'd even include a case of ear plugs. biggrin.gif
Dirty Evo
I am hoping to take a look at Elliots car next week... listened to you guys, and gonna take a drive down there.

thanks for the input.

Still kinda of interested in the black one in my original post also, hoping to look at that tmw or next week.. JUST IN CASE> it does seem a bit overpriced all things considered, but... ?? just want to take a peak in case, and maybe I can learn something. I haven't looked at 914 for nearly 20 years since Ihad my old 1.7 in early 1990s
Root_Werks
Others have said it, with that kind of money, put your hands on it before buying it. It sure looks good! I know Originaly 914-6's are getting good money right now.
PeeGreen 914
I love Elliot's 914. It is the perfect 914 for a street/ race 914. Only thing I'd do is paint as yellow just isn't for me. Other than that I love that car wub.gif
bernbomb914
Pee Green?
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Jan 11 2011, 02:09 PM) *

Pee Green?

No, Pee green is only my sceen name because of mice. Viper Green is sweet though laugh.gif

I'm partial to Phoenix red too aktion035.gif
Dirty Evo
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Jan 11 2011, 01:51 PM) *

I love Elliot's 914. It is the perfect 914 for a street/ race 914. Only thing I'd do is paint as yellow just isn't for me. Other than that I love that car wub.gif

Funny, I feel EXACTLY the same way about the yellow... I have a preference for orange or green... Painted my E30 race car signal green and Ijust love it.. and orange 914 in the shop next to it would look ... um, I guess it would look BRIGHT if nothing else.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.