Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The New Top Gear.......Not
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
So all this talk about what you don't like about the US top gear.
What would you do to the show to make it better, or better yet would would you like to see,and what extra stuff you add???
URY914
Three new hosts to start with.
oldschool
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 7 2011, 08:22 PM) *

Three new hosts to start with.

OK who?
Mike Bellis
I always thought the idea of having the audience standing around was silly. It's bad enough they have to listen to those idiots, let them sit down.

I would put myself as a host.
Background: Grew up working in my famlies 3 full service gas stations, former Aircraft Electrician- US Marine Corps. Have built many custom cars; VW, Mopar, Porsche, Mustang Concourse resto. I'm a former judge fo the International Auto Sound Challenge Association. I have had my cars featured in Popular Hot Rodding, Mopar Collectors Guide and Mopar Action. In 2004-2005 I assisted Chrysler with the debut of the 300C SRT-8, Magnum SRT-8, Viper SRT-10. I had my 1969 Dodge Super Bee featured in a 30 second spot for the Rumble Bee truck. In 2005 I provided 32 Hemi powered vehicles for the International Auto show in Anaheim. I have done some automobile marketing with BBDO, one of the oldest marketing firms in the country. In my early years I studied with the American Conservatory Theater.

Wow, I never put all that down in one place. Most of this didn't even make it to my resume.

BUT, I think I'm just as quallified as any of those dip shits. AND, I would have fixed the shift linkage of that 914 they tried to sell.
r_towle
Remove the southern guy that won the spot on another TV show...he needs to go.
Get a british host to replace him so the other two can make fun of the brit...

Fix the track they use...its a joke, get a better one and cut the grass on the track. Filming positions on the track suck.

Use only American cars for the track test (the part where a celebrity runs around the track)
have more fun using american cars...

Test all the american cars...stop testing the same crap that UK Top Gear test...please...

Like to see mustangs, mopar, caddilacs etc.

Test Hyrids...do some long haul high MPG testing instead of buying old junk cars...not fun to watch.

Rich
oldschool
wow pretty cool ideas. rolleyes.gif
plymouth37
The real weakness in that show is the hosts, they need to hire Jay Leno, Adam Carolla, and someone other than Tanner Foust.
ME733
The antics of the show , hauling water,and paint ball crap, etc , just underscores the fact these idiots really cannot be "car guys". Jay Lennos museum (cars) programs/shorts is the format They should use. The guest driver sequence is absurd. At the very least they could get and use a sports car instead of some shit box no one in their right mind would drive fast. Overall The entire program needs a total revamping. I watch it only because I hope they will eventually have something car guy orented, technical, historical, new car evaluation, ...SOMETHING worth watching. Those dumb asses certanily do not embody or represent "Car Guys".
scotty b
Adam Corolla

Christopher Titus

Jay Leno

Jerry Seinfeld

Click and Clack

Adam and/or Jamie from mythbusters ( stuff woud get blow up smile.gif )

Red

More American cars ( which is what I thought the premise behind an Am version was confused24.gif )

Better track

Blow stuff up biggrin.gif

Maybe an shop tour to some of the larger businesses, both factories, large scale collectors and small independent shops like Foose,WCC, Troy Trepanier, Leno etc.

EdwardBlume
C'mon guys. One or two hot broads wouldn't hurt. lol-2.gif
URY914
We're cars guys that want to see a car show. The UK show can be watched by non-car guys, my wife and daughter both watch it with me. The US show can't even be watched by car guys it's so bad.

You don't need a celebrity to be the host, the guys listed above would want too much money anyway. The show couldn't afford them.

I think Andy should host it!
r_towle
It has become a large revenue generator in the UK because its an entertainment show masked as a car show...not the other way around.

The obvious british bent or british perspective on the show is where they will lose out with the american audience.

Start making fun of Americans...that is what they do in the UK version, they make fun of britain.

Have all american cars to start..look at american racing, look at american highways, salt flats, drag racing, nascar....
Make fun of it...take a stock car and go to the drag race (not drifting because Tanner knows how)
Appeal to the audience...nascar type racing and drag racing is still far more popular than road racing or drifting...

sean_v8_914
seinfeld's ego would never alow him to share the stage
sean_v8_914
...he's still hurt over getting cancelled
scotty b
Call it OVERDRIVE

Hot car chick ? Courtney Hansen

you need some known names or it would never take off. there plenty of " car guy " shows on Spike and they all suck. they are not representative of the real car builds. If you want a succesful car show it needs to appeal to car guys, wanna be car guys, have humor, not be TOO offensive and be informative. Spikes shows suck and have a very small target audience, motortrend is a boring sales pitch, Speeds show get lamer and lamer due to the marketing to the " wanna be " car guys. The build shows focus on too many builds at once.

IMHO An hour long, comedic, informative show that tracks one build at a time whether it be a resto, a custom, a hto rod, a race car etc. appeas to a much larger audience. Aregular segmant done with Click and Clack would not be expensive and would bring humor and information in. Yeah Seinfeld and Leno would be out of the question for hosts due to budgte, but Corolla ( maybe ),Titus and the others I mentioned are very doable depending on how much support you could get for a startup.

An unmasked pro driver to run the course, keeps it from being a Top Gear copy, and still provides track times for exotic cars, which IMO is a big part of Top Gears draw. Add normal cars in the mix for lap times and you connect with the audience by showing the performance of the cars they own and can afford. their could be a segment on mods for performance, not body kits and fart cans, but the difference in times that a suspension upgrade can make. Test b.s. products like the " Tornado " and inform the pub lic where to spend, and where NOt to spend their hard earned money. You need to connect with the audience and a shop full of $200,000.00 metal working tools doesn't do that. Hell I can't connect with most of those shows and their equipment. I do get equipment envy though............ They show in one segment how to body drop a truck, and in the next they tell you how to change your air filter WTF.gif If you can't change an air filtwer you shouldnt even consider trying a body drop blink.gif

I've thought about this for years because I despise all the "car shows " that have been pushed on us. They are an embarrasment and a mockery IMO
Go back and watch " Build or Bust " to see what a decent show was. Noscripts, no actors, just real people with a goal. If it wasn't met, they were called out on their failure. No P.C. everyones a winner crap that our society has embraced. Just REALITY. Unintentioned rant over

Krusty Jr out.
bembry
Why'd we need a US version anyway? I'm more than happy with the UK version. Hell--they even speak English too!
RFoulds
QUOTE(bembry @ Jan 8 2011, 04:20 PM) *

Why'd we need a US version anyway? I'm more than happy with the UK version. Hell--they even speak English too!

agree.gif
EXECELLENT POINT!!

We dont need another Top Gear. We need a decent car-guy show. Chris Titus? Awesome suggestion Jay Leno? No way, old school schtick

Think of morning radio, syndicatated radio show, like Kevin & Bean, Lex and Terry, etc. Fast paced, intelligent at times, sophomoric when they can get away with it. But yet, when they talk about Music, and Musicians, or interview musicians, they actually KNOW what they are talking about.

Hosts need to speak like they are talking to you, not "announcing" to you, like the Motor Week guy who likes to Em-Pha-Size EV-ER-Y SYLL-A-BLE.

One last idea. Discovery had a short-run series a few years back. Guys had to find a decent car, but it at a bargain price, refurbish it, and sell it at Barret-Jackson. VERY entertaining. Lots of insight into what cars are worth, best ways to invest money in it and get a return, plus the tension of finding a buyer. Following that, I found BBC's Wheeler Dealers and Auto Trader. Now THOSE show should be adopted to here, especially CAlifornia. Not expensive to produce, simple concelt, and very honest. Often, they fail to make a profit. But that is real. And its only 30 minutes.
scotty b
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jan 8 2011, 04:37 PM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Jan 8 2011, 04:20 PM) *

agree.gif
EXECELLENT POINT!!

One last idea. Discovery had a short-run series a few years back. Guys had to find a decent car, but it at a bargain price, refurbish it, and sell it at Barret-Jackson. VERY entertaining. Lots of insight into what cars are worth, best ways to invest money in it and get a return, plus the tension of finding a buyer. Following that, I found BBC's Wheeler Dealers and Auto Trader. Now THOSE show should be adopted to here, especially CAlifornia. Not expensive to produce, simple concelt, and very honest. Often, they fail to make a profit. But that is real. And its only 30 minutes.

What was the name ? I missd on that one. Sounds interesting except for my disdain for B.J.......Barret Jackson.....B.J's are great from what I remember, and B.J. Honeycutt was always humorous.................
falconfp2001
The idiot that thought we needed an American version of Top Gear should be flogged.

They can never replicate the BBCA version here in the states. It's just not possible to replicate the dry humor or the personalities that they have. Plus they would never allow some of the stunts here in the US.
RFoulds
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 8 2011, 04:54 PM) *

What was the name ? I missd on that one. Sounds interesting except for my disdain for B.J.......Barret Jackson.....B.J's are great from what I remember, and B.J. Honeycutt was always humorous.................

Wish I could recall. One guy bought the Cooper Mini from Italian job. he made the most profit becuz he sold it as a car with a great movie connection. Another guy bought a 1974 ferrari dino, and made next to nothing becuz all the service was overdue on it.

Still cant recall.
falconfp2001
If they want to have a US Top Gear, then they should just copy all the episodes. I wouldn't care who they had, I would just want to see if they do better than the Brits.

Have all the same challenges, time laps in all the same cars, have all the same guests come and drive the economy car on the test track. Have our own US Stig and then have a season finally with both Stigs racing each other.

They should base it at Laguna Seca.

They could also add more DIY episodes.
oldschool
I love this, again great ideas.There was a small stirthepot.gif madness in me for starting this tread.I been working on combining the 2 things that I love for a while now,(TV/Movie production ...and CARS..Porsche shades.gif ) so I have come up with a staring point.
There are some of you guys that I would love to have as tech dude,...You know who you are.But I'm sure we have people on this board who really never post but have a bunch of talent on and off camera.
As I get closer to building my team(producing, directing ,editing,and scoring) please help me out and support me in the future real car guy show.

and If you feel like we need to talk please PM me of e-mail me (jaime.r.mejia@gmail.com).this well get shoot.
Brent
One topic I would like to see is more homegrown green productions. I know the masses will become tired of 914 central segments, but 914 has bee very popular in the electric conversion field. What is the latest tech, why is battery technology progression taking so long to improve in relative comparison to computer technology? Etc...
falconfp2001
Just a thought,

there is a huge Classic Porsche community that are DIY centric. Many more in the US taht are Mopar Centric and Off Road Centric. Huge market shares that have an interest in just seeing entertainment that also advocates advice. The one thing that Top Gear has is appeal. Not just consumer appeal but personality. Before you can duplicate a show like that you have to witness it in person. I get the impression that the three hosts are exactly like they are on screen personalities. something like that is hard to duplicate unless you have a great writing team to back the show up.

What the US show team should do is watch every episode and then write the same thing but try to add muscle cars into it.
URY914
As far as "build shows" go, they won't appeal to the masses. If you base your show on building a 'Stang for 5 episodes say goodbye to all the Mopar and Chevy viewers. You have a show building a Honda ricer and I won't be watching. You need to mix it up.

Sawfish
I'd like to see Danica, Leno and Tim Allen
jetboy
The way I see it, Top Gear already had a US version... it was the American Muscle Holiday Trip http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-a...sode_198099.htm .

Take pointers US "Shot Gear" producers...
oldschool
I got to say the prosche bit look a lot better this time. They used the same filters and some of the rack focus stuff the brets use....they may get it together .
black73
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Jan 8 2011, 08:15 PM) *

The idiot that thought we needed an American version of Top Gear should be flogged.

They can never replicate the BBCA version here in the states. It's just not possible to replicate the dry humor or the personalities that they have. Plus they would never allow some of the stunts here in the US.

agree.gif

But for a different reason. I can't make through an entire episode of UK TG without going to sleep. After a few minutes Clarkson's low pitch, monotone, British accent becomes hypnotic and I dose off while he's in the studio interviewing some boring Brit celebrity I've never heard of. Happens every time. confused24.gif
falconfp2001
QUOTE(black73 @ Jan 10 2011, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Jan 8 2011, 08:15 PM) *

agree.gif

But for a different reason. I can't make through an entire episode of UK TG without going to sleep. After a few minutes Clarkson's low pitch, monotone, British accent becomes hypnotic and I dose off while he's in the studio interviewing some boring Brit celebrity I've never heard of. Happens every time. confused24.gif

good point, that's when I usually change the channel as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.