Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some advice on 914-6 issues and value of car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Callaway
A 72 914-6 which I have known for 30 yrs is for sale by original owner.
I know the chassis number and engine number are correct - it is a one owner car -and the owner is ready to sell.
No high performance mods - it is original.
It has not been stored - it has been parked in elements for most of that time, but driven intermittently and kept in reasonable enough tune to run.
Body is maybe a 5? on a scale of 10 - not a rust bucket - but would need to be stripped, surfaced and painted. Some metal work would need to be done.
Leaks oil like a sieve -which is my big problem.

I had a 4 cylinder, which leaked from the oil tubes - so I know that is manageable, but I am concerned about other oil leak problems that might be going on.

Any heads up with regard to oil leak problems associated with this engine type, which could be "unfixable".

I would want to do a complete engine rebuild, because it has been "sitting" as long as it has - so I am not avoiding the rebuild - the gearbox probably needs it as well - but I am concerned about getting into a project with an engine that is so far gone it would have to be replaced. I do not want a car with mis-matched numbers, I want to do a historically accurate restoration with matching numbers - or I am not interested.

The owner has asked me if I would make an offer. I do not want to insult the owner with a goofy lowball offer. Any ideas on value of a 5/10ths body with an engine and gearbox that need rebuilding ?

Thanks,
Matt
Tom_T
welcome.png ..... Matt!

I can't answer on the 6 motor oil leak specifics (others on here are better experts), other than to say IMHO you're on the right track for a nos. matching, & would think that so long as the case with the OE # is in good shape, that you can do the rebuild with parts available from either new, NOS or 911T parts (this was essentially a `69 era 911T motor detuned from 125 to 110 hp).

I'm sure others are going to ask you for pix of the car to get a look at condition, if you can post some on here, or a link to photobucket/etc.

popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
PS - the last MY for the 914-6 was 72, and only about270 were built IIRC, so it's more rare than the 70-71 ones when the bulk were built.

IMHO it's also the better model too back in the 70's when I drooled over them in college, cuz they had the 72 MY tweaks of moveable pass. seat, dash side vents for better ventilation, and a tweaked tailshifter for better feel/action (at least the 72 MY 914/4's were).

So I assume that the 72 914-6's were the same, and not just left over 71's or built to 71 spec.

Can any 6-perts here confirm that? confused24.gif
Matt Callaway
Tom

- Thanks for replying and the welcome.

I previously had a 914-4 that I just wore out. I loved that car - learned to do the service on the engine by dropping it out of the car so I could get to the bits. Got to where I could drop the engine - replace plugs, points, filters, etc in an hour. Carried spares of all of the above along with the appropriate wrenches etc - and did more than a few repairs on the side of the road. I am pulling hard on the reins to get a 6 - I just want to be careful. Thanks for your responses - I'm sure some experts on the engine will show up. I do not have pics - I am not so worried about the body - I can hancle that - just seems crazy to get into this on the basis of matching numbers if the crankcase has to be replaced.

Thanks Again,
Matt
sww914
10K. You'll spend 20 on the engine rebuild and paint and little doo-dads to make it into a +- 30k car.
The tranny is probably mostly OK, most need a 1st gear synchro and a seal and gasket kit minimum, easy to do with Dr Evil's help.
Matt Callaway
sww914-

Thanks - those numbers are pretty much exactly what I was thinking.
Nice to have some confirmation.

Dr Evil lives in my shop somewhere - never seen him - but plenty of evidence he is nearby.

Thanks -
Matt
Tom_T
Interior work can add to that $20k too, but a perfect original & matching nos. 72 914-6 may pull more than $30k when done right I would think.

There was a nice 72 MY "last Six" at the Parade in Chicago this past summer that won something IIRC, & worth a look at the PCA website when you get a chance.

I had to replace my original tranny case back in the early 80's due to wear when mine was a DD, but PCNA usually lists transaxle nos. as "unavailable" on COAs & Kardexes anyway, so it's a moot point for mine.

Good luck & hope that case is good, but you won't really know until you've cracked it. Post some pix if/when you get it!

popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
15K for car, 10K for rust repair, 10K for paint, 10 for engine, 10 for mis parts like rusted out heat exchangers, 1st gear., exhaust, 10 for refinishing existing parts, chrome fenders, assembly, ,ect. 10k for interior, tires, ect.

I bet /know you can easily put 50K+++ into a proper restore of a 914-6 so that you can have a car worth $30K on the open market.

All just my opinion, but have fun, that's what it's all about

Rav914
You can rebuild the engine yourself and save a thousands. The real money will be spent on a new paint job and metal work.

I'd buy it in a heart beat. Sit on it for a while and add it all up. That's one rare bird to find.
Krieger
I'd say 10-14k. Check the hell hole for rust-the frame under and forward of the battery. Check jack points and under interior carpet and in trunks for rust. This is the most important thing! A leaker engine is really not that bad, but rust is baaaaaad. Could be cool. Post some pictures if you need help.
type47
QUOTE(Matt Callaway @ Jan 8 2011, 02:53 PM) *

- never seen him -

Click to view attachment
rfuerst911sc
You are in the heart of Nascar country I imagine there are all kinds of body/paint guys that can give you a great paint job for 3k - 4k or less if you're willing to do some work. The engine oil leaks are no big deal as long as the case isn't cracked which I believe is rare. As long as the hell hole is fairly solid and no other major rust I'd throw a 8k offer out there. Did the seller give you an inkling of what he/she wants for it ?
Rod
One owner '72 original 6. offer 7.5k goto 10k and start the stripdown.. the engine should be fine, if it's one owner, surely he remembers what it was like when last running???
Tom_T
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 9 2011, 01:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Matt Callaway @ Jan 8 2011, 02:53 PM) *

- never seen him -

Click to view attachment

av-943.gif

Is there ANYTHING that Mike won't hump!!?? sheeplove.gif

He's going to give Pittsburghers a bad image, now that he's living there! lol-2.gif
agentblr
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
markb
QUOTE(agentblr @ Jan 9 2011, 03:15 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif

&

welcome.png
Matt Callaway
Good pics of Mike dancing (?) with a chicken above.

I am new - I need to mind my manners for another week.
Seriously - I owned a 4 cylinder - I have been through the body thing before, have a pretty good idea of what to expect there.
I am trying to strain out whatever I can about the types of things related to the engine that someone with no experience (like me) would not know to look for. I am getting info back on that - anybody with any info on that - please lemme know.

Thanks,

Matt
sww914
You may do a leakdown test on the engine, it will tell you how worn the rings and or valves are. If it's running and it has the right oil in it, I like Brad Penn 20/50, the oil pressure will tell you how worn (somewhat) the bottom end is. These engines have robust bottom ends, not too much to worry about there usually. The common leaks are the cam chain housings and all the seals between them and the cam towers, the oil return tubes, the rocker shafts, and the valve covers. I'd pull the engine to do the cam chain housing seals, then it's easy to adjust the valves too. The valve covers and the oil return tubes are easy, they sell collapsible oil return tubes so you don't have to pull the cam towers off to change those seals.
There are others but they are the most common. I'd recommend spending some time on Pelican Parts' 911 engine rebuilding forum and buy Bruce Anderson's book if you're going to own a 6 cylinder. Porsche 6's are much closer to small aircraft engines than they are to a Honda or a Chevy. There's a lot to learn.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The 72 six cylinders of which the factory only make 260 is the rarest of all and one highly sought after. Sixes these days have been bid out of site and now are selling for more than they are worth in my opinion. If you are committed to restoring it figure spending 40 grand on it. If not move it on to someone who would and make some money. These cars are now a part of Porsche history and cannot be taken lightly. In its current condition the car is worth 15 thousand dollars

QUOTE(Matt Callaway @ Jan 8 2011, 03:01 PM) *

A 72 914-6 which I have known for 30 yrs is for sale by original owner.
I know the chassis number and engine number are correct - it is a one owner car -and the owner is ready to sell.
No high performance mods - it is original.
It has not been stored - it has been parked in elements for most of that time, but driven intermittently and kept in reasonable enough tune to run.
Body is maybe a 5? on a scale of 10 - not a rust bucket - but would need to be stripped, surfaced and painted. Some metal work would need to be done.
Leaks oil like a sieve -which is my big problem.

I had a 4 cylinder, which leaked from the oil tubes - so I know that is manageable, but I am concerned about other oil leak problems that might be going on.

Any heads up with regard to oil leak problems associated with this engine type, which could be "unfixable".

I would want to do a complete engine rebuild, because it has been "sitting" as long as it has - so I am not avoiding the rebuild - the gearbox probably needs it as well - but I am concerned about getting into a project with an engine that is so far gone it would have to be replaced. I do not want a car with mis-matched numbers, I want to do a historically accurate restoration with matching numbers - or I am not interested.

The owner has asked me if I would make an offer. I do not want to insult the owner with a goofy lowball offer. Any ideas on value of a 5/10ths body with an engine and gearbox that need rebuilding ?

Thanks,
Matt

Cairo94507
Wow, what ever happened to this car? Did they buy it? Is it being restored? What up?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.