Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a drill bit size for a tap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I have new zerk fittings for my Elephant poly bronze rear bushings. They have upgraded the size from M5 .8 threads to a M6 .75. They had issues with them sheering off....like me. What size drill do I use? Or should I just use my new HF tap in the existing threaded hole? I have a drill bit spec for a M6 1.00 thread of 13/64. Is that the same size for M6 .75? Tanks biggrin.gif
t collins
6mm screw W/ .75 pitch =5.24mm drill or #4 is the closest US drill size for 75% thread in alum. brass & plastic
r_towle
giyf

http://www.thedirtforum.com/drilltapsizes.htm
RJMII
Does your tap set not have drill bit sizes stamped on them? They are kind of small to read, but the ones we have here are all stamped with specs.
Krieger
Cool, 5.24 mm, or that table from texachusetts says 5.25mm. Don't know what a #4 is but 5.25mm=.20669 3/16=.186 on my calipers and 13/16=.217 on my calipers. So smaller is better in this case, but is this too small for my HF tap?
Krieger
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 8 2011, 07:52 PM) *

Does your tap set not have drill bit sizes stamped on them? They are kind of small to read, but the ones we have here are all stamped with specs.

Just checked. They are labeled with size/pitch and freakin CHINA. My Crafsman set has a booklet with chart for appropriate drill bit size, but kit does not have tap I need and sears didn't either. I could order though. Thats why the Harbor Freight.
r_towle
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 8 2011, 11:06 PM) *

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 8 2011, 07:52 PM) *

Just checked. They are labeled with size/pitch and freakin CHINA. My Crafsman set has a booklet with chart for appropriate drill bit size, but kit does not have tap I need and sears didn't either. I could order though. Thats why the Harbor Freight.

It should be fine to use the smaller bit.
You are only tapping 1/8 inches deep, so it should be ok.

If it was 1/4 or more...you may have an issue.
Just go slow and feel it as you go, as soon as you feel it stop, turn it back a 1/4 turn to unload the tap and continue...back and forth.

Rich
t collins
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 8 2011, 09:01 PM) *

Cool, 5.24 mm, or that table from texachusetts says 5.25mm. Don't know what a #4 is but 5.25mm=.20669 3/16=.186 on my calipers and 13/16=.217 on my calipers. So smaller is better in this case, but is this too small for my HF tap?

Sorry for the typo 5.25mm is correct
# 4 = .2090 bits come in fractions, letter, and number sizes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.