Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secondary Oil Pressure Relief Valve Stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I am in the process of rebuilding my engine. I recently obtained a EA case with about 20k mile on it. Structurally, it is in excellent shape. The problem is that the unassembled case had been sitting in the back seat of a broken down VW bus for the past 20 years. There is a bunch of crap and corrosion on it. The large 12 point star bolt was removed (prior to its 20 year rest) and the secondary oil relief valve has been exposed to the elements for the past 20 years. I can see it and it looks very corroded. I cannot get the bastard out.

I tried a magnet- no luck. I tried a jamming a larger diameter dowel into it then tried pulling it out- no luck. There is a hole that you can access from the inside of the case, you can stick a small screw driver in- I tried to push the valve out from behind- no luck.

Any ideas on how to get it out? How about drilling the part of the valve out- tapping it than pulling it out?
DNHunt
I don't think I'd drill it. Patience, penetrating oil, and heat would be my tools. If you are married to the case have machinist look at it. I would have some concerns about what might be it passages. Here we get wasps that nest in places like that. Anyway, I wouldn't put a bunch of effort and money into it, I'd find a different case.

Dave
SLITS
Use a tap of sufficient size, thread it in to get a hold of it and try to pull it out with the tap. Soaking with PB Blaster should help.

Actually, I'm of no help at all as I have a 2.7 case with the same problem ... I'll get it out someday. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif ar15.gif
tornik550
Since there are some cases that do not have the secondary relief piston, are they even necessary? Is there a way to block it off?

I do have another case. It is a bus case that was modded for a 914. I haven't really looked that case over yet. My bus case doesn't have secondary relief piston.
orange914
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jan 9 2011, 08:30 AM) *

Since there are some cases that do not have the secondary relief piston, are they even necessary? Is there a way to block it off?

good question... what benifit does the secondary have (or not)? somewhere here is a oil passage diagram. it was helpful to me when doing my 2056, but retaining that stuff anymore just doesn't seem to stick sad.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.