Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 vs 916 GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
Ok, here is the deal. I have some badly damaged bumpers. 1971 bumpers are hard to come by. Upwards of 300+ for a chrome bumper.

I love the GT or 916 look and bumpers. So smooth and sleek looking but still vintage.
So, I'm planning on getting the GT style glass fronts and rears but I don't want the flares. Has anyone seen or have pictures of a 914 with the GT or 916 look without flares?

Should look great with the right rims and tire setup.

Any thoughts?

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Jan 8 2011, 11:37 PM) *

Ok, here is the deal. I have some badly damaged bumpers. 1971 bumpers are hard to come by. Upwards of 300+ for a chrome bumper.

I love the GT or 916 look and bumpers. So smooth and sleek looking but still vintage.
So, I'm planning on getting the GT style glass fronts and rears but I don't want the flares. Has anyone seen or have pictures of a 914 with the GT or 916 look without flares?

Should look great with the right rims and tire setup.

Any thoughts?

By the time you fit and finish GT bumpers to your car you will spend way more than the $300 for a new Chromie. GT bumpers need to be cut and reglassed to fit correctly. I have never seen one that fit right without adjustments. You could take yours to Temecula and have them re-chromed and straightened.
Madswede
You know, I have a hard time thinking of the GT without the flares. However, there is a nice-looking narrow-body /6 in CA that belongs to Thomas (one of the "other resident Germans" on this site) that I had the pleasure of riding in. I dunno if it will give you any ideas or not (pretty standard bumpers) but here's a vid of him and his car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvdA4ZzKs6w...mp;feature=fvwp
falconfp2001
QUOTE(Madswede @ Jan 8 2011, 11:50 PM) *

You know, I have a hard time thinking of the GT without the flares. However, there is a nice-looking narrow-body /6 in CA that belongs to Thomas (one of the "other resident Germans" on this site) that I had the pleasure of riding in. I dunno if it will give you any ideas or not (pretty standard bumpers) but here's a vid of him and his car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvdA4ZzKs6w...mp;feature=fvwp

Wow, Nice. so wish mine sounded like that when just idling. that's what I aspire to have.

Frank
falconfp2001
Temecula? I dare ask, what shop sir?

Frank
falconfp2001
Actually, getting re-chromed and straightening costs about as much as a new glass bumper.

In that case it's not about quality but about economics or even preference. The preference is 916 or GT look. Economics dictates it's easier to care for glass versus chrome.

You have to admit, the GT front is so sexy. Way cool and smooth in appearance.

Got to have.

cary
I like the M471 option look. Flares with the chrome or black bumpers myself. I haven't seen a picture of a set of GT bumpers that really look good yet. They all kind of flare out like a rusted regular bumper top.
My .02c.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.