Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spectator sport Evilbay 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
See cool 914-6 replica play out on ebay....copy will make many of you barf.gif .
Just trying to stirthepot.gif Curious if any historians can validate...interesting but only if not bs.gif ... beer.gif
76-914
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 9 2011, 07:39 AM) *

See cool 914-6 replica play out on ebay....copy will make many of you barf.gif .
Just trying to stirthepot.gif Curious if any historians can validate...interesting but only if not bs.gif ... beer.gif

Where's the LINK?
TheCabinetmaker
Yeah, link please. We too lazy.
sixaddict
And I am too dumb ! popcorn[1].gif
When I grow up may larn to do that !

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jan 9 2011, 07:47 AM) *

Yeah, link please. We too lazy.

jonferns
914-6 replica on ebay
Mike Bellis
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRUMOS-914-...=item27b7bc85f4

Based on the VIN it's not real.
messix
he doesn't claim it's a real factory six, he claims it's a famous brumos race car. that was coverted by brumos.
mepstein
Looks like he plans to break the rules and not sell below $75K even though he has no reserve.
RiqueMar
My Dad and I saw this the other day. Guy is on crack.
Mike Bellis
I would not pay $125k for any 914, regardless of history. You could build a better car for less if you wanted to drive it. If you buy it just because it's a Brumos then put it in a bubble and pleaseure yourself to it. sheeplove.gif Maybe I just want cheap thrills since i'm a CSOB
URY914
He seems to have provided enough info on the car. And if you think the price is too much, don't buy it. But don't flame the guy for trying to get top dollar.
turboman808
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 9 2011, 10:37 AM) *

He seems to have provided enough info on the car. And if you think the price is too much, don't buy it. But don't flame the guy for trying to get top dollar.

True enough. But if that car sells for 75k I am putting mine up for 100k next week. lol-2.gif
messix
sorry but the guy comes off as a "Tool".

"used cars" comes to mind!
brant
significant race cars have value
but the guy is not a good salesman
to get that kind of money the add could be much better
for example "3 recent log books" does not authenticate significant and true brumos history.

this car could of been built 5 years ago
mine was, and has the same log books.

focusing on the big money is great, but providing documentation of that facts would probably push this car into that league. I like it... but I know there were about 15 of them built and painted just like that. some in the last 5-10 years. If brumos builds the sister car to this tomorrow, then it becomes a great antiquated race car, but not a historically significant vintage race car.

p.s. did they really use fiberglass fenders in 1972?, I would of assumed they used metal since factory metal kits were flowing through the dealerships at that time

sww914
If it's a real Brumos car with a good history it might bring some real money, we'll see. He's not a talented writer but I can't smell any attempt to deceive. It's hard to pin a value on anything unique until it sells.
messix
And!!!

why would he chose e-bay to sell such an important car?????

it would seem logical to market it to a better informed and narrower target.

a specialty auction house or even advertise with the pca.

but no he try's to huck this "important car" on e-bay to a bunch of bargain hunters that wouldn't know shit about a true brumos car or care!
brant
I love this from his dialogue:

"I've got a local ad in the "Thrifty Nickle" weekly publication too. (Thinking about Craigslist...) eBay is a great way to reach a bunch of people interested in such a thing"
Cheapsnake
Auction goes off Monday at 4pm. Sunday PM and the bid is $16k, no reserve. Target price is $125k. Only makes good sense to start trashing your potential bidders an uninformed boobs.

If one of his hot buyers from Europe doesn't come through I wonder if he'll actually sell to the final bidder.
bembry
yawn
KELTY360
I enjoy the way he continues to tout the "two European buyers who know what they are looking at". He's just trying to manufacture a bidding war out of thin air. Bet he wouldn't risk a No Reserve auction at B-J or one of the other over the block events.

$16k...going once, going twice, SOLD smash.gif new_shocked.gif Noooo! I didn't mean it....really 051103-stupid4.gif
URY914
Always nice to bash follow 914 owners and sellers. The members here have a history of it. rolleyes.gif screwy.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 9 2011, 03:13 PM) *

Always nice to bash follow 914 owners and sellers. The members here have a history of it. rolleyes.gif screwy.gif

Looked to me like the seller was doing his fair share of bashing towards anyone who didn't share his high opinion of the value. It looks like a nice car with an interesting history, but the seller isn't really 'auctioning' it on ebay. He's just fishing, but expects people to take him seriously.
brant
must of pulled the auction. It shows closed now
hopefully the craigslist add will bring him closer to what he is looking for......
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 9 2011, 03:13 PM) *

This guy's talking down his nose to anyone who isn't peeing their pants over his arguably overpriced 914. I'd say he's bashing us.
sixnotfour
Probably is the last one Brumos built before Bob S , passed away, It is no secrect they have built a bunch of 914-6 GT race cars for the modern vintage race series.
There was an article in VWPorsche magazine 20yrs ago ? that quote Bob S, saying "Bring me a 914 and 100,000 and I'll build you one."
The Ebay add is a bit much, for sure.
carr914
I sent the guy an eMail the other day calling out his BS

Yes, it has a Brumos BR racing VIN, but it is a 1.7 conversion. Also it was constructed ( as all the BR's were) for the MCI/Worldcom Series, which was HSR. However he claims it has 12 Hours of Sebring & 24 Hours of Daytona History which is impossible.

He has definately been buying his Crack from ads in the Thrifty Nickel
sixnotfour
However he claims it has 12 Hours of Sebring & 24 Hours of Daytona History which is impossible.

Didnt they run HSR events the same weekend as filler. ?
Meaning it was there , but not in the big show.
carr914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 9 2011, 06:46 PM) *

Probably is the last one Brumos built before Bob S , passed away, It is no secrect they have built a bunch of 914-6 GT race cars for the modern vintage race series.
\

Not the last one made, I saw the last one and Bob offered it to me - I passed
carr914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 9 2011, 06:50 PM) *

However he claims it has 12 Hours of Sebring & 24 Hours of Daytona History which is impossible.

Didnt they run HSR events the same weekend as filler. ?
Meaning it was there , but not in the big show.

They run SVRA @ Sebring. At Daytona, they run the 24 Minutes of Daytona for any car that has "Real" Daytona History, which this car does not.

But the Seller claims on his Website that it Has 12 & 24 Hour History. Also claims quite a list of people that have driven it. I put a message out to Hurley Haywood to verify - no answer yet
sixnotfour
I would rather have this one at half the price.
It was on ebay started 100k and dont know if it sold, It was under 50k last time I saw it.
sixnotfour
Or this one Brumos built , crashed by Paul Newman, rebuilt and raced by Cody Ellsworth was for sale 75K
URY914
When I was going to college in Jacksonville I used to drive my car to the Brumos race shop and the dealership all the time. That same street car is now my a/x car so following that logic.......
brant
I got an email back from the seller
I asked him what year the race car was converted and built in
he is trying to get records still to verify
but believes it it 1996, or 1997
so I would call this a car built for modern day vintage racing....
not a historically significant racing history of the 70's

kinda seems like the ebay listing was misrepresenting the history.

I have a vintage car of the same history
I can show event after event of class wins
it brings me tons of fun.
it made it into excellence magazine even
but I wouldn't call it a historically significant race car with actual series history.
oh... and I'll sell my car for 124K if anyone is interested
r_towle
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 9 2011, 01:45 PM) *

p.s. did they really use fiberglass fenders in 1972?, I would of assumed they used metal since factory metal kits were flowing through the dealerships at that time

I found one that did use fiberglass flares...but it was only 30 years ago that the flares were installed, and its a the real deal.

We suspected that the metal flares were removed and fiberglass was added for weight savings at that time...not sure really. It was a real race car...but no docs on some of the mods...they were just there to see.

the guy who bought it (I should have, but passed) rebuilt the car as original.
It was one of the luftanza 914/6 original cars....sitting in a barn up here for 30 years....no motor when I saw it, just the tub.

I think they sold that car for 250k...the build was covered online and in a few mags..

Rich
sixaddict
Thought this might keep ya busy smile.gif
carr914
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 9 2011, 08:43 PM) *

Exactly, 96/97 was when MCI/Worldcom was sponsoring HSR ( I have a hat from the time), so it was not a period car and has no 12 or 24 Hour History. When I explained that to this Sap, all he had for a comeback was it would make a nice addition to my collection @ $125k WTF.gif
race914
Guys,

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge 914 fan and have both a 4 and a 6. And I love them both, and will not part with them.

I'd love to have some historical cars, but when prices get to $125K for a clone!... I'm out of the bidding.

I bought a 2003 GT3 for less than 1/2 of that price.

So go for a Brumos 914 Clone for $125K or 2003 GT3 for less than $50K?

I bought the GT3 and kept my two 914s....

Click to view attachment

Maybe you guys would go the other way, but this is just my humble opinion...

Race914
championgt1
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 9 2011, 04:10 PM) *

I would rather have this one at half the price.
It was on ebay started 100k and dont know if it sold, It was under 50k last time I saw it.

agree.gif
maf914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 9 2011, 03:46 PM) *

There was an article in VWPorsche magazine 20yrs ago ? that quote Bob S, saying "Bring me a 914 and 100,000 and I'll build you one."
The Ebay add is a bit much, for sure.

I remember seeing a group of six or so Brumos built and prepared 914's at the Brumos hauler at the HSR 914 Reunion held at Roebling Road outside Savannah several years ago. I think that four were orange, one white, and one black, all with the Brumos style markings. I have also seen some of these cars at the HSR events in Daytona and on display in the Brumos tent in the Daytona infield during the 24 Hr weekends in previous years.

At one of these events in Daytona I asked one of the Brumos mechanics a few questions. When I asked if they used steel flares on the replica 914's he surprised me by saying that they were fiberglass because they always getting banged up and it was easier to tear off a damaged fiberglass flare and glue a new one on than to repair a damaged steel flare.
mepstein
I think he could do better if he fixed the crash damage, stated the true facts about the car and then shut up. Sometimes less is more. Especially when you come off sounding like a jerk. I think his expectation is to cash in on this car and I don't see it happening.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(race914 @ Jan 10 2011, 09:02 AM) *

Guys,

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge 914 fan and have both a 4 and a 6. And I love them both, and will not part with them.

I'd love to have some historical cars, but when prices get to $125K for a clone!... I'm out of the bidding.

I bought a 2003 GT3 for less than 1/2 of that price.

So go for a Brumos 914 Clone for $125K or 2003 GT3 for less than $50K?

I bought the GT3 and kept my two 914s....

Click to view attachment

Maybe you guys would go the other way, but this is just my humble opinion...

Race914

agree.gif

The 914-GT is my FAVORITE CAR..... But at the $125k range, you're in the super cars/exotics price range. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi, AMG, etc.

Madswede
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 9 2011, 06:43 PM) *

agree.gif What piqued my skepticism when I read the ad were the 930 turbo brakes. huh.gif I'm still learning this stuff, but I'm pretty sure that's not period-correct for a 914. confused24.gif

- Nelson
Mike Bellis
My car is a former SCCA race car. It has 930 brakes and suspension. I don't know when they were installed but the ones I have are 1976-1986 vintage.

Click to view attachment
Madswede
I stand corrected! I'd thought the 930 came out circa 1978 ... looks like I was right, as long as "circa" means "3 years before" heheh. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.