Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: interesting observation at original VIN plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
more or less accidently we found out that the Factory changed the design of the VIN plates (the one at the headlight box; front trunk) of the 914-6

early versions look like this:

Click to view attachment

later versions look like this:

Click to view attachment

for those who can't see the difference:
the later versions have an additional last line, that says "Zul. Zuggewicht kg 1860"

[translates to something like: maximum weight that can be towed: kg 1860]

I checked all my files, it's completely clear that all cars earlier than 914.1.43.0070 don't have this additional line, all cars after 914.1.43.0159 have it.
The DOT sticker of #0070 says 09/70.
I don't have this info from car #0159, but 914.1.43.0163 shows 01/71.

All this together leads us to the conclusion that there might have been a federal changement, that requires that additional line per 01.01.1971

To all 914-6 owners or data keepers:
Could you please check your VIN plate or files to find out a closer result?

Any input appreceated

beerchug.gif Gustl
Tom_T
Wolfgang -

This prompted me to look at my 73 2L's plate (8/72 build date), because I'd wondered what the "official" towing capacity was, & it does not have that extra line! huh.gif

I don't want to muddy up your 914-6 post, so I won't post a pic of mine.

Let me know when you need more help on your 914-6 DMV stuff.
- PS, I just saw your email & I'll look into that & get back to you later this week (I'm working on a business proposal Mon. & house & car stuff today).
Gustl
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 9 2011, 08:46 PM) *

This prompted me to look at my 73 2L's plate (8/72 build date), because I'd wondered what the "official" towing capacity was, & it does not have that extra line! huh.gif

I just checked it at my 1974 1.8 and it also didn't show this info idea.gif

would be interesting what about MY'71 914-4 ...
or MY'71 Porsche 911 ...

very suspect blink.gif

of course I checked the MY'72 914-6 and 916 before, both have this additional info on the plate

dr914@autoatlanta.com
We have three 71 models two 72 models and the 916 of course (six cylinders) but they are sealed inside that display case, so I will check them in the next couple of days

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 9 2011, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 9 2011, 08:46 PM) *

I just checked it at my 1974 1.8 and it also didn't show this info idea.gif

would be interesting what about MY'71 914-4 ...
or MY'71 Porsche 911 ...

very suspect blink.gif

of course I checked the MY'72 914-6 and 916 before, both have this additional info on the plate

Gustl
thanks George !!

I already checked your wonderful green '71 914-6 ... it shows the additional line biggrin.gif

but I had no VIN plate pics of the other cars

I already checked two other 916 and they also had this last line

beerchug.gif Gustl
smg914
Wolfgang,

I know you already have a photp of my plate on file and the fact that the VIN is later than what you're looking for but here's a more recent photo of the plate.

Steve
Cairo94507
My VIN plate has the additional line. Manufacture date of May 1971, VIN- 9141430372
Gustl
thanks to Steve and Michael beerchug.gif

@ all others: keep 'em coming aktion035.gif

Tom_T
Just heard back that my buddy Jerry's original 71 914/4 only has the GVW & F&R weights (in kg) on his plate - no towing. I don't recall it's build date from chassis or VIN sticker, but can get that if you want.

I'll try to get to your 914-6 history email again tonight.
I'd actually done it once with all your answers in an email reply on Sunday, but that got "lost" by the crappy earthlink webmail service! mad.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Gustl
thanks Tom pray.gif

mskala
Mine, from earlier than your date, seems to agree.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.