Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strong Fuel Smell....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
My 76 Red car got converted to dual Webers before I bought it...Since ive owned it, it has always had a VERY strong fuel smell after running it for awhile....It has the expansion tank still on it. If it sits for a couple days no smell....checked lines and tunnel and no visible leaks...no leaks under car....Im stumped...

HELP the smell is so bad that it lingers long after shutting the car down......It even makes my clothes smell just from running the car...

Thanks again, everyone beerchug.gif

Steve
Tom_T
Steve,

The expansion tank on the fuel tank has 2 hoses & connects to the charcoal filter canister (on tank 70-74 & in engine bay 75-76 IIRC) - one of which goes back along the L rocker space to the engine fan shroud, which pushes air up forward into the exp. tank, then over to the canister, then the other goes back in the L rocker space & connected to the air cleaner/airbox or throttle body on the OE EFI systems to burn off the fumes in the motor.

So you need to either disconnect the air supply side (and preferably cap the return that went to the engine for burn off), or connect the return air hose to the carb's aircleaner, stacks or something to get sucked into the engine & burned off.

What you're getting now is the fan pumping fresh air into the exp. tank & filter canister, then out wherever the open end is at & then it's sucked into the cockpit. The open end may be left in the engine bay or L rocker, or wherever the guy who did the carb conversion left it or cut it off! icon8.gif
quadracerx
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 9 2011, 03:10 PM) *

Steve,

The expansion tank on the fuel tank has 2 hoses & connects to the charcoal filter canister (on tank 70-74 & in engine bay 75-76 IIRC) - one of which goes back along the L rocker space to the engine fan shroud, which pushes air up forward into the exp. tank, then over to the canister, then the other goes back in the L rocker space & connected to the air cleaner/airbox or throttle body on the OE EFI systems to burn off the fumes in the motor.

So you need to either disconnect the air supply side (and preferably cap the return that went to the engine for burn off), or connect the return air hose to the carb's aircleaner, stacks or something to get sucked into the engine & burned off.

What you're getting now is the fan pumping fresh air into the exp. tank & filter canister, then out wherever the open end is at & then it's sucked into the cockpit. The open end may be left in the engine bay or L rocker, or wherever the guy who did the carb conversion left it or cut it off! icon8.gif

So basically:

a) make sure they are both disconnected so the engine doesnt pump fumes? Car isnt here from me to look at....or

b) try to identify which one is going to the engine fan and disconnect it? Are these lines easy to tell apart in the engine bay?

TOM, you are the man..once I can get to where the car is...im looking for these ASAP...cause it makes me not want to work on the thing...the smell is that strong...

Thanks again,

Steve
detoxcowboy
I have had fuel smells, been through the whole system several times, and just discovered recently on my car then on 2 other fuel tanks at my buddies 914 stash the following..

From the fill cap there is a small metal tube that the hose to the expansion tank connects too. On all 3 fill necks of the tanks I looked at including mine the metal tube wash pinched shut on one end, thus not allowing vapors to escape via expansion tank desighn.. I opened mine back up, and thus far I have had no smell. I used to
at times usually with full tank or steep incline or stop and go traffic summer get the smell and it would not leave for a couple days.. depending.

I would not start to dismantle the re-evaportation system but I would make sure it is connected properly and in good condition..

Also have you pulled your fuel tank yet? You do not need a visible leak from under the car to get the smell. A small amount is enough, then it evaporates.

Fuel smells are a sighn something is wrong, fuel leaks can be dangerous so it would be best to investigate the entire system before jumping to conclusion solutions.

I feel you on the disconcerting fuel stench, It takes away from the 914 experience when passenger think what a heap burning fuel oil...

Diagram Below.. is for the 3 port fuel pump, you get the idea though and need to check all lines, fuel pump and connections ect. including under the fuel tank nipples, also some fuel tanks develop rust pin holes where the tank sits, there are 3 glued in foam rubber pads under and on side of tank (not the 2 you can see while tank is installed) that tend to hold water and create rust bubbles, potential holes ect, good to inspect those too.. I replace those with solid rubber while the tank was out..

Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy
Below is the fuel evaporation lines at the engine compartment TOM was ititerating..

They come in behind and below the relay board from your charcoal cannister via the drivers side rocker panel, and there are cloth hose connections in the drivers front wheel well by the antenna and in the rocker panel that are made of cloth covver hose.. Usaally hard as a rock by now, unless you have replaced them..

The rest are vac hoses..

Click to view attachment
quadracerx
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 9 2011, 05:47 PM) *

Below is the fuel evaporation lines at the engine compartment TOM was ititerating..

They come in behind and below the relay board from your charcoal cannister via the drivers side rocker panel, and there are cloth hose connections in the drivers front wheel well and in the rocker panel that are made of cloth covver hose.. Usaally hard as a rock by now, unless you have replaced them..

The rest are vac hoses..

Click to view attachment

Cant I just block off the "green hoses" since I have carbs? I appologize if I sound stupid about this....

Steve
detoxcowboy
I am stupid, my heart is bigger than my brain.. I do not know about carbs. But I would think that not an absolute, and would be nice if that was the problem alone, but there is a chance that is not the problem at all. If it was a fart no problem get an air frshener and roll thw windows blink.gif , but it is fuel.. so maybe there is a leak? Maybe there is a leak and you will never see a puddle of gas for long, look fuel smelling stain, residue.. Be safe.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Jan 9 2011, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 9 2011, 05:47 PM) *

They come in behind and below the relay board from your charcoal cannister via the drivers side rocker panel, and there are cloth hose connections in the drivers front wheel well and in the rocker panel that are made of cloth covver hose.. Usaally hard as a rock by now, unless you have replaced them..

The rest are vac hoses..

Click to view attachment

Cant I just block off the "green hoses" since I have carbs? I appologize if I sound stupid about this....

Steve

Carbs need a fuel tank and source..
r_towle
Here is what has been done with no issues.
At the tank, you can block off one of the two large lines for the evap system and take a large hose and drop it down below the car through the same hole that the fresh air drip tray hose exits the car.

This is old school and it uses the venturi affect to suck the fumes out of the tank.
I dont recommend not having an expansion tank or some way to remove those fumes from the tank or you could have an issue on a hot day that expands the tank and "pops" it due to to much pressure.

It needs to breath somehow....all tanks have a way to do this...take a look. Mowers have a valve in the cap, a pressure release valve.

What you want is to get the fumes out of the front trunk and really, out of the car.

the hose below the car is how it was done up till the early 70,s when people realised this is not good for the environment.

To do it with a clear consience you would need to retain both hoses and have the fan still blow air through the charcoal and have the other hose (the return) attach to the air cleaner on one or both of your carbs.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.