Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Old 914-6 is in the Porsche Museum in GB - Silverstone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric_Shea
Jim Chambers just sent me a link that my our... (I sold the car to him before it went abroad) old 914-6 has ended up in the Silverstone Porsche museum in Great Britian... cool! w00t.gif

http://export56.com/carsforsale/solditem.asp?SaleID=10
Sleepin
smilie_pokal.gif

Looks like it sold!
Eric_Shea
I don't think so... they wanted $50k?? I think it's on loan.
Porsche Rescue
Not clear to me if Export56 sold it and new owner loaned it to Porsche GB or if the dealer loaned it and it is still for sale.
I honored my promise to Eric to give him first chance when I sold the car but he decided he didn't want it back. I then advertised it on TheSamba for $21K. I got a call from a guy in Great Britain the first day.
He asked for pics, then called to say he'd take it. Didn't even dicker on the price. A truck picked it up and it went to Long Beach and into a container bound for London. He told me about his business and I began to frequent his website (if you like vintage Porsches, take a gander at Export56.com). When he got the car his asking price was 33,000 pounds which was over $60,000 at that time (2006), $52,000 now. Answered my question as to why he didn't dicker and could afford to ship it to Great Britain!
Cairo94507
Beautiful example. I wish it could have stayed in the states though.
mojorisen914
Pretty Cool, Eric.
Eric_Shea
Pretty Cool, Eric.

Thanks Rob. I'm pretty proud frankly. To have my old car on loan to Porsche for their Silverstone exhibit... Wow. blink.gif

I was "basically" a one owner car when I got it.
Lou W
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Jan 10 2011, 08:01 AM) *

Pretty Cool, Eric.

agree.gif Very Nice smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
It's really cool to be able to keep track of a car you sell. My old '79 911 is with a collector in Switzerland.
bcheney
That is some pretty cool stuff! The color is fantastic and I'm glad to see that the car is still making you smile smile.gif
Krieger
Nice!
SLITS
Not sold ....

"This car is currently on loan to Porsche GB and has been on display at the new Porsche Centre at Silverstone."
porbmw
Hey Eric
VERY nice....and neat to see it again...in a museum no less. ( my old/former 914 would only be seen at the crusher...terminal rust)
Query
A member noted that my 6, just having been resprayed back to signal, has its' radio antenna on the passenger side..ie...the WRONG side.
Your old car has it on the same (passenger) side...
Any hint on your car came with the radio installed...and whether there is a right/wrong (as in correct/incorrect, as opposed to a right/left) side for instal
Again, VERY nice!
Porsche Rescue
There is no right/wrong. They were dealer installed and the tech drilled wherever he chose. I'm told there may have been a few factory installed radios and if so,I suppose the side chosen by Stuttgart would be "right". If a member here has a cert. of authenticity showing a radio they could tell you where the antenna is located. It would be a rare car.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif hard to say.

On the right the antenna lead would be closer... biggrin.gif
tornik550
Was looking around the Porsche website. Found a pic of your 914 on their site. Heres the link- click through the pictures.
http://www.porsche.com/silverstone/en/mult...tracks-gallery/
smg914
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jan 11 2011, 05:32 PM) *

There is no right/wrong. They were dealer installed and the tech drilled wherever he chose. I'm told there may have been a few factory installed radios and if so,I suppose the side chosen by Stuttgart would be "right". If a member here has a cert. of authenticity showing a radio they could tell you where the antenna is located. It would be a rare car.

I've seen many factory installed radio's on early to mid 70's 911's and all had the antenna on the driver's side. TC's 914-6 COA shows a radio and the antenna hole is on the driver's side. My friend that worked for Porsche for 35 years told me the correct location is on the driver's side. I believe that when you see an early 911 or a 914 with the antenna on the passenger side, it was more often than not a post delivery non-Porsche installation.
Eric_Shea
Cool link! Many thanks... wink.gif
championgt1
How cool! beerchug.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 11 2011, 09:03 PM) *

On the right the antenna lead would be closer...

Its also way easier for punk vandals to snap off while they walk down the sidewalk. In taller vehicles it's also a great overhanging-branch sensor but this doesn't affect 914's much...

I like them on the left. Wire is cheap and doesn't weigh that much... Passing the antenna lead behind the dash cluster makes it more likely to pick up interference but 914 radios are really only worth a damn when the car is parked anyway...
veltror
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jan 12 2011, 02:56 AM) *

Was looking around the Porsche website. Found a pic of your 914 on their site. Heres the link- click through the pictures.
http://www.porsche.com/silverstone/en/mult...tracks-gallery/

Hmm this dealer is a 5 min drive from my house....
carr914
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jan 11 2011, 10:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jan 11 2011, 05:32 PM) *

I've seen many factory installed radio's on early to mid 70's 911's and all had the antenna on the driver's side. TC's 914-6 COA shows a radio and the antenna hole is on the driver's side. My friend that worked for Porsche for 35 years told me the correct location is on the driver's side. I believe that when you see an early 911 or a 914 with the antenna on the passenger side, it was more often than not a post delivery non-Porsche installation.

That is Correct, My Factory location is on the Drivers Side

T.C.
Porsche Rescue
Veltror, could you take a visit and give us a report and maybe a few pics?
Eric_Shea
Thank God I offed that piece of shit... Wrong antenna mount. headbang.gif
rgalla9146
There are printed instructions for antenna location and
also a diagram included in Blaupunkt radio install kits for 914's.
There is an antenna wire hole in every 914 drivers inner fender. It has a rubber plug as factory installed ,
There is a hole in the pinch weld of the drivers inner fender. It is there to attach a supplied bracket that supports the antenna storage tube. Attached diagram.
I've seen both WISI and Hirschmann OE antennas.
Eric you were very lucky indeed to sell that car.

rgalla9146
Let me try that attachnent again
I do know where the antenna belongs . Attaching a photo is another issue.
Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachmentEric sold me an "impure" car and now the fraud continues at the Porsche museum in Great Britain. In fact I was had twice. Here is my one owner before me '70 which shows the radio on the dealer invoice. Some tech at a dealership in Ohio drilled on the wrong side as well. And I sold it to Corsepervita as an original car. Hope he doesn't read this thread!
Porsche Rescue
rgalla9146, After you browse and open your photo you then must go to the bottom of the page and click "add this attachment". You can then open additional photos and "add". When you are done you must take a final step and "add to your post".
rmital
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 12 2011, 09:06 PM) *

Let me try that attachnent again
I do know where the antenna belongs . Attaching a photo is another issue.

posting pictures for Rory (rgalla9146):

Porsche Rescue
Guess I have to retract my earlier assertion that there is no right/wrong. It appears that passenger side is "wrong". Apparently the techs at the dealerships did not read the directions.
rgalla9146
Thank you Ray for posting the lit.
The really ironic part is I can't bring myself to drill a hole in the fender.
All the right parts for a radio that's not installed
That's OK ......you can't hear it anyway.
My six has it on the passengers side too ???
Eric_Shea
To think... It all started with me being a smidgen proud of my restoration project being in a Porsche museum. And now, its come to this. I'm now contemplating my eternal fate based on an elite group call the "Antenna Weinies". Well, I've come to realize you're right... Its not about the car, its about how fucked up the car is because some idiot put the antenna on the wrong side. My fate is sealed... I cant live in a world this cruel. How could they not think before drilling that hole...? How can I live with myself for not rectifying this abomination to all mankind

The answer is; I cant. I cant live another day of this agony. Goodbye cruel world!
corsepervita
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Jan 12 2011, 07:10 PM) *

Click to view attachmentEric sold me an "impure" car and now the fraud continues at the Porsche museum in Great Britain. In fact I was had twice. Here is my one owner before me '70 which shows the radio on the dealer invoice. Some tech at a dealership in Ohio drilled on the wrong side as well. And I sold it to Corsepervita as an original car. Hope he doesn't read this thread!

*searches for previous info on how to fix issues on car... finds something mentioning screen name*

NOW I KNOW THE T-T-T-T-TRUTH! WOE IS ME!
IPB Image

Just kidding, it doesn't bother me. beer3.gif
(i normally wouldn't necro post... but I just had to lol)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.