Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Filters - Quest for the Best
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I started my own search for oil filters quality last week after an oil change. I have always walked into a parts store and picked up a filter...BUT...Are they all the same?? idea.gif

What started the questioning was a part number on a Bosch filter. On a prior change I always bought from the local Porsche parts shop - they just handed me a Bosch filter 72137, and I put it on. When I started to do this oil change, I was out of filters, so I went to AutoZone. They stock Bosch. The filter book on the shelf showed the 3204 and the 32138 Bosch filters fit the 914 4 - a different number than the Porsche shop filter ?? On the Bosch site their part finder agreed with the Autozone book. So, why did the Porsche shop sell me a different filter number. (the 137 vs the 138 filters looked identical from the outside.

I did a search on World, and went through all 22 pages of oil filter posts. Googling also brought up Corvette, Honda, and other sites with filter posts. It's about a 50-50 tossup for Bosch. People like it and hate it..no real testing could I find. The only consistent opinion is that FRAM is only for lawn mowers. biggrin.gif

This is a web site of oil filter analysis for What's Inside, but no real information on what works best.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterst...ilterstudy.html

Jake - You're the expert on OIL but what about Filters??

OK experts. Chime in. I'm listening. popcorn[1].gif

hot_shoe914
I use Mahle, but I'm no expert, I just drive a pink car. bootyshake.gif
underthetire
Last one was a WIX I put on. Figured my car is a rolling oil change anyway.
realred914
frams in vangons are bad, more pressure drop and the back flow valve is not present. (hence lots of lifter noise after long sits) the Mann brand does not suffer as such. (personal experience here)

difficult to find, but internet search will get you the specificaition on each filter, pressure drop, back flow vlace, by pass pressure etc... these are importnat parameters. when i added an extenal cooler, I had to use a sandwhich plate, so i had to seek out a smaller filter, many would "fit" but not all had the same pressure drops, and by pass settings, so i had to search and find on that was short enough, and had the same factory specs as the OEM one

look up "Bob the Oil Guy" on the world wide web, sign up and post a question, there are many folks on that site and they can give you great filter info.
tomeric914
I've never had a FRAM failure but their glue and cardboard construction is cheap at best.

I use Baldwin in everything I own. Available online or at your local Grainger.
URY914
K&N here.
ScottD914
Bill, Thanks! Lots of good information there. Interesting study.
Cap'n Krusty
Like their plug wires, Bosch filters would be my last choice. I use and sell Mann, Mahle, and Hengst filters. All are OE on German cars. Bosch filters were/are made in the US, probably by some marginally competent subcontractor. Stick with the German brands. As for VW applications, there are 5 or 6 filters that look alike but have different specs. Fram and others sell one filter that covers all the part numbers. Not good. As for the chain parts stores, they sell what they have in stock and what makes them the highest profit. They really don't give a rat's arse about what's right.

The Cap'n
detoxcowboy
Mahle, done!
bandjoey
Searching Bosch come up with both Purolator and Champion making their US filters along with VW branded filters.
Champion also makes the Royal Purple filter.

It looks like Mann and Mahle are the 2 top picks on most forums.

And Shoe, Could a real Mann fit a Pink Car? lol-2.gif
Rod
Yep mahle.
iamchappy
Amsoil filters and Canton and even Mobil one filters.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 10 2011, 12:49 PM) *

K&N here.

agree.gif Thats what I have in my car! Never had an issue.
mrbubblehead
i use amsoil filters on everthing. they use a synthetic filter media that filter to 15 microns. ive been trying to cross reference filters so i can match up an amsoil filter for my new to me "74" 1.8.
Al Meredith
Most if not all parts houses books don't go back far enough the check a 914. I look for the oldest VW Van with a 2.0 engine. You can also use a 1994 dodge 3.0 V6 . I know because my wife had a dodge and I was buying the same filter.
Oh! I try to use a Mobil I because it says it is for synthetic.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ Jan 10 2011, 04:31 PM) *

Most if not all parts houses books don't go back far enough the check a 914. I look for the oldest VW Van with a 2.0 engine. You can also use a 1994 dodge 3.0 V6 . I know because my wife had a dodge and I was buying the same filter.
Oh! I try to use a Mobil I because it says it is for synthetic.

that was easy. i didnt even think about checking for a bus. i found it. thank you. its an EAO40 if anyone cares.
IronHillRestorations
I have a bunch of Mahle's in stock PM me if you are interested.
hot_shoe914
If anybody needs Mahles I know where to buy them all day long for about $5.00.
bandjoey
GROUP BUY[i] av-943.gif
orange914
side note:

since builing my 2056 i've always wondered about the WEAK oil bypass ball and spring on the filter stand. i had 3 to compare spring pressures and it sure seems like it wouldn't allow the filter to do alot of fine filtration. it seems it would just bleed by under the higher resistance of fine filtration. any one ever deal with this weak oil filter bypass (other than a full flow bypass)? maybe an adjustable screw to alter the spring seating pressure??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.