Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gullwing Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
My driving is limited to warm weather as I have one hell of a time getting in to 914 with top on. "Old war injury". Idea came to me that if I could modify a top so as to fold it over from driver's side half way, climb in and reach up and pull back to latch down. Has anyone seen anything on modifications of tops? It would be nice to keep the integrity of the top as far as weatherproofing.
SGB
Seems like a pretty easy cut to hinge it down a reinforced (somehow) middle...
plymouth37
With the existing targa design our cars are pretty ideal for gullwing doors, just build a t-top roof, then fab 2 roof sections and some window frames and weld them to the doors. You could probably even retain the stock windows if you are smart about the window frame construction. If you had an extra set of doors you could run it as a t-top. It is totally doable, just throw fabrication talent and money at the problem.
Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
You'll have to lighten up the doors a lot or it will take one super strong air lift shock to keep it open. If I remember, them doors is HEAVY!
SLITS
If Dr. Ferry had meant Porsches to fly ................
914four
Put the top in the rear trunk where it belongs and you solved you problem.
scotty b
Wouldn't be all that hard, just time consuming. Make a center bar like the 70's Vettes and T birds. Cut the top to fit and create a hing ( 2, for and aft
) for the inside part. Hinges up and down and still use the factory latches. It could be done to look completely factory shades.gif Could be even cooler to get Mikey to make a set of transparents like the Vettes had shades.gif shades.gif poke.gif poke.gif poke.gif shades.gif
r_towle
You have a top?

Fix your heater and lose the top for good.
Rotary'14
I think "damnfiknow" only meant to modify the targa top,, not the doors too. biggrin.gif
I'm sure some folks here might have a top or two somewhere in their garage they might donate to his project. (sorry I don't)

-Robert
SLITS
I do, but shipping an object that size is costly.

Never tried Greyhound.
oldschool
QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jan 10 2011, 06:09 PM) *

I think "damnfiknow" only meant to modify the targa top,, not the doors too. biggrin.gif
I'm sure some folks here might have a top or two somewhere in their garage they might donate to his project. (sorry I don't)

-Robert

Robert whats up man how is the project going, Did you make me a motor mount drooley.gif

Sleepin
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 10 2011, 08:12 PM) *

Never tried Greyhound.

That is because they run away from you too fast! dog.gif IPB Image
zymurgist
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 10 2011, 08:45 PM) *

Wouldn't be all that hard, just time consuming. Make a center bar like the 70's Vettes and T birds. Cut the top to fit and create a hing ( 2, for and aft
) for the inside part. Hinges up and down and still use the factory latches. It could be done to look completely factory shades.gif Could be even cooler to get Mikey to make a set of transparents like the Vettes had shades.gif shades.gif poke.gif poke.gif poke.gif shades.gif

Or buy an antique Corvette. driving.gif
sixnotfour
here you go ;
http://www.tangentkits.com/The_Tangent_T_Top.html
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 10 2011, 04:29 PM) *

You'll have to lighten up the doors a lot or it will take one super strong air lift shock to keep it open. If I remember, them doors is HEAVY!

Doors? He's talking roof panels. Actually your soft top ideas might work for his goals.
Rand
Mr Hines comes through with a post that hits the requested target. beerchug.gif
That's the concept I pictured:
IPB Image
sean_v8_914
ya'll crack me up.
"Seems like a pretty easy"
"Wouldn't be all that hard"
...and I thought cali had the best weed
gimme some dat alabama slamma wit a whiskey chaser an a beer
oldschool
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jan 10 2011, 09:38 PM) *

ya'll crack me up.
"Seems like a pretty easy"
"Wouldn't be all that hard"
...and I thought cali had the best weed
gimme some dat alabama slamma wit a whiskey chaser an a beer

we do...
Click to view attachment smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.