Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this Flywheel picture give any reasons for concern?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All –
I am in the final throws of my conversion. At this point the tub is done and everything is bolt on. The only part that is not easily accessible/changeable without big headaches is the flywheel/clutch, so I want to make sure I don’t bugger this up. Attached is a picture of a flywheel that I located on another web board. I was told it is original, worked fine, and was only removed because of a motor upgrade. The last clutch I personally replaced was in my 1985 GTI, so my knowledge is limited to say the least (the VERY least!!). Can any of you tell by this picture if this looks okay? I would have it machined prior to install, is there a minimum thickness I should ask the seller to verify?

Thanks a ton –
Scott S
Jeffs9146
Need close-up of the surface! Are there cracks if you look very close! Has it been checked for thickness?
realred914
cant tell in detail, but maybe just scuff up the rusty surface with 60 grit sand paper and go use it. i dont see any deep grooves or other defects.

good luck
zymurgist
I would want to see the surface that rides against the oil seal.
IronHillRestorations
Hard to tell from the pics, it looks flat, which is weird. If it's flat you don't want it.

If it's been cut or turned, I'd pass. I'd want detail shots of the gear teeth.
underthetire
Ya, it's missing a ring gear !
Scott S
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 11 2011, 11:01 AM) *

Holy crap - I think you are right!!!!

I can just cut some teeth onto it with a dremel cant I? headbang.gif

Oh well, the search continues........

Perry, just saw your email - thanks for the info!

THANKS ALL!! beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jan 11 2011, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 11 2011, 11:01 AM) *

Holy crap - I think you are right!!!!

I can just cut some teeth onto it with a dremel cant I? headbang.gif

Oh well, the search continues........

Perry, just saw your email - thanks for the info!

THANKS ALL!! beerchug.gif

Just push start it....that's what I do. headbang.gif
SLITS
That is nothing but the flywheel off a '70 & up 911. It is missing the bolt on ring gear and bolts.

They were all flat except for the early 901 flywheel, which if you are using a 901 box is the ideal.

To use this one ... Kennedy makes the kit/

otherwise

You need the '70 - '71 only 911/01 tranny that uses the "pull clutch" assembly ... besides having to buy the ring gear, you would have to by the two year only clutch package that lists out at $800 (special cover plate, special 225 mm friction disk with early 901 hub and special throwout bearing.

If your conversion is 2.7L or below (6 bolt flywheel), then get the early 901 flywheel and use the stock 2.0L 4 cyl clutch assembly with your 914 transmission.
Scott S
Thanks Ron... beer.gif

Does anyone have any experience dealing with a manufacturer called "QSC"? I googled them and didn't find anything crazy negative about them. Jake was doing a review on their products a few years back, but that was the end of the thread - no final results.

Here is a picture....
SLITS
You should be able to find an early 901, used, for about $125.00 ... maybe less.

As long as the metallurgy is good on the new one you show ... go for it.

Oh, the new one you are looking at is missing the pilot bearing holder, spacer plate, and attachment bolts.
sixnotfour
I have a good 901 6bolt lightened to 9-10 lbs, good for all around , with a SIXCYLINDERENGINE. For 2 dozen cheesburgers on thursday. 0r $250
I will even throw in a pilot bearing.

Eddie914
MMMMMMMMMMMM! Must be some FABULOUS cheesburgers at that price!

Cheers!

Eddie
SLITS
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 11 2011, 02:07 PM) *

I have a good 901 6bolt lightened to 9-10 lbs, good for all around , with a SIXCYLINDERENGINE. For 2 dozen cheesburgers on thursday. 0r $250
I will even throw in a pilot bearing.

Heh heh ... McDonald's Double Cheese off the dollar menu --- 24 burgers = $24.00. Buy them Wed nite, Fedex Priority One and you will have them on Thursday.

Done deal Jeff ... when can you ship the flywheel with the SIXCYLINDERENGINE and pilot bearing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.