Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Popular Mechanics 914 Listing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
Saw this while waiting for stuff to complete today.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/...or-less-than-3k

Has the 914 as #7 - thought it was interesting.
underthetire
Very cool, even if it has a clanky 411 motor in it.
KELTY360
Interesting, but a fact checker might have a few problems with their synopsis. shades.gif

The Volks-Porsche was propelled by a clanky air-cooled 1700-cc, 78-hp four-banger borrowed from the VW 411 sedan, but the front suspension and transmission were stolen directly from the 911. Later models got engines upgraded to 1800 cc and then 2 liters. Lightweight (under 2000 lbs), the 914 had handling and road-holding that is unparalleled for affordable cars. A well-set-up 914 is unbeatable in its autocrossing class, but still is plenty practical as a daily driver, with two huge trunks (the engine hides in the middle somewhere) and the largest sunroof in the industry. An increasingly rare variant is the 914-6, which sported a 2.0-liter carbureted six-cylinder 911 engine. You won't find any of them for $3000, though. Engine and brake upgrades are reasonable, but don't break the very expensive gearbox, which could cost more than the rest of the car to replace. The first modification after an exhaust system upgrade is generally to switch the fuel injection out for a pair of Weber or Solex downdraft carbs.

Tom_T
agree.gif with Marc, ... but still nice to see recognition starting to grow for our 914s! smile.gif

... and not just because I own 2 of them - the 914 & BMW E30, in my case a `73 914-2.0 and 85 325e (6) - but in 2 door coupe form (they show 4 dr.). biggrin.gif
URY914
3 mid engines out of 10
shoguneagle
Disregarding the $3,000 price or less, the selection of cars was very, very interesting. I really liked the BMW, Jeep Wrangler, Porsche 914, and Miata. I currently have two of theme: 914 and Jeep Wrangler. I guess I have double the trouble . . . . .'er double the fun!!

You could probably add an Alfa Romeo Spider of the same vintage and get the same amount of enjoyment. Have that one too. Triple the fun!!!!

I really liked the total cars shown because it appears to offer enjoyment for many at a lower value, but always do your "due diligence".

Steve
realred914
the most interesting thing about the cars listed, is the 914 is by far the oldest of the groupe by over a decade. all the other affordable fun cars listed are from the 80's and 90's.

the 914 has lasting appeal is what i got out of this article, must be engineered pretty well also to be in a group of one too two decade newer cars as reported by a mechanics magazine.

GOGOGOGO 914ssssssss!!! yeah!!!! baby yeah!!!!!
KELTY360
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jan 11 2011, 11:29 AM) *

the most interesting thing about the cars listed, is the 914 is by far the oldest of the groupe by over a decade. all the other affordable fun cars listed are from the 80's and 90's.

the 914 has lasting appeal is what i got out of this article, must be engineered pretty well also to be in a group of one too two decade newer cars as reported by a mechanics magazine.

GOGOGOGO 914ssssssss!!! yeah!!!! baby yeah!!!!!

agree.gif
Cupomeat
Interesting list and certainly all the cars they list have a lot of Character.

I agree with all of them (crazy eh?) except a few things;

1. that Mitsubishi's ignition module is about the cost of the car itself.
2. The early Fieros are no fun and little character and the later ones will be hard to find for $3k. Like many GM cars, they canceled the program as soon as they got close to right.
3. Those GTIs are crazy fun in that you can be driving 9/10s and still not in crazy ticket territory. Sciroccos are an even more fun bet in the same price range.
4. Be careful on the MR2 handling as it is not the forgiving handling of a 914.

Enjoy!
Dr Evil
"Dont break the gear box" because it will cost more than the car to fix? Again, no one consulted me rolleyes.gif
URY914
And the 914 is the only one that sold originally (+/-) for the $3000 which it will sell for now.
sww914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 11 2011, 03:13 PM) *

"Dont break the gear box" because it will cost more than the car to fix? Again, no one consulted me rolleyes.gif

But you only have 31 pages of 901 info. That's not much. They probably have like 33 or 34.
Dr Evil
You flatter and humor me smilie_pokal.gif
championgt1

You're not charging enough. w00t.gif
RickS
" The first modification after an exhaust system upgrade is generally to switch the fuel injection out for a pair of Weber or Solex downdraft carbs." Attention all new 914 owners who purchased cars as a result of that article. You can mail your worthless, stupid, fuel injection systems directly to me as long as you pay the postage. Remember, I am doing you a HUGE favor taking it off you hands. Also send me a $20 for my concern.
KELTY360
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jan 11 2011, 09:16 PM) *

Hey Jack.....shaddup. slap.gif
championgt1
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 11 2011, 09:47 PM) *

Damn. I have had one to many drinks tonight. beer3.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jan 11 2011, 09:50 PM) *

It's ok, he probably won't figure it out anyway. laugh.gif
johannes
This article is mostly BS information...
Dr Evil
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 12 2011, 01:05 AM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jan 11 2011, 09:50 PM) *

It's ok, he probably won't figure it out anyway. laugh.gif

What? tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.