Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found my 914 - a few newbie questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJ914Guy
I met a really nice guy and purchased a solid 1973 2.0 car. Will be picking her up a week from this Saturday - can't wait to post some pics and get some time behind the wheel (if the snow would ever stop on the East coast)!

Some questions:

1. When you apply the parking break, what is considered normal behavior for the dash lights. Something tells me that the upper red light in the fuel gauge should blink. Hows about the turn signal indicator lights? They also blink when the break is up, but the outside tail lights don't flash at the same time. Normal? And the break handle seems to stay up. I recall (from years ago) that my dad's 1974 1.8 handle was able to be pressed back down to assist with getting out of the car.

2. Current owner is very honest and states during the summer months, the starter sometimes gets hot and will not restart (you need to wait 10-15 mins). Says a new starter is on the car but the problem continues. What else to check? Would it be good to insulate the starter motor to cure the problem?

3. The targa top rattles pretty bad and the pass side front latch needs replacement. Any ideas on where to pick-up a couple of front latches?

Thanks for the help, I am sure I will have many more questions as I learn about my new 914.

underthetire
welcome.png

Ebrake, does not go down if it's on. Just like newer cars. The Brake warning lamp should flash, but thats an easy fix. Switch under the handle is probably dirty/stuck. Turn signals should not flash, but thats probably a bad ground somewhere.

Lots of people here use a hot start relay kit from Bosch to cure the starter problem. I've never had an issue myself. About a 20 dollar fix.

Put a WTB on our classifieds here for the latch. Fix that then go after the rattles.
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 11 2011, 04:03 PM) *
Ebrake, does not go down if it's on.

Unless you have the two-piece handle ... shades.gif

There's two ebrake handle versions for the 914. One is a solid handle that stays wherever you put it. The second is a two-piece design that allows you to fold the handle out of the way when the ebrake is engaged.

The starter problem could be a transmission ground strap problem ...

welcome.png
underthetire
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2011, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 11 2011, 04:03 PM) *
Ebrake, does not go down if it's on.

Unless you have the two-piece handle ... shades.gif

There's two ebrake handle versions for the 914. One is a solid handle that stays wherever you put it. The second is a two-piece design that allows you to fold the handle out of the way when the ebrake is engaged.

The starter problem could be a transmission ground strap problem ...

welcome.png

I've never seen one or even pictures of one ! I think I want one now !
stugray
My old 914 had the 2-piece E-brake handle.

You pulled it up to engage, then it would just fold back down into that recessed area next to the drivers seat by bending in the middle with a hinge so you could get out.

Only someone who knew how to release it could do it right.
You have to pull up (left hand), push the button (with your left thumb), then push down (with your right hand) in the middle of the handle to make it go back down.

Tow truck drivers & highway patrol dont know how to do it right (ask me how I know....;-)

Stu
Cairo94507
I know my '70 sixes had the folding e-brake and so does my current '71 six. I do not know when the change was made but my '73 did not have the folding brake handle as I recall. I do like the folding handle.

BTW, I never needed to use two hands to release the brake.
rick 918-S
welcome.png
JRust
My 70 v8 conversion has the piece ebrake handle. I don't really like it as I have left it on more than once. I like the one piece handle more. Still it is cool how the pivot lets it fold down so you don't scrape it getting in & out. I do have to use my right hand to push down on the middle. Otherwise it will not go down all the way. Of course I am only going by memory . It's been a good year & a half since I have experienced the problem dry.gif
jonferns
welcome.png

Someone else from NJ! Post pics of your 914 if you have them. There are a few of us in NJ willing to help with any problems you may have. Send me a PM if you have any questions or need a hand with anything. bye1.gif
PanelBilly
I had one on my first car. The dealer taught me how to work it. Pull up, push button and push down with the back of your wrist while you pull up with the front of your hand. Sound difficult, but was easy to do after a few trys
bugsy0
These photos of my '71 914 show the folding brake handle. I believe '72 was the last year of this feature. This is not exactly original, as the handle portion of the lever does not show the plastic 'grip' that it had (it was cracked and sharp and I threw it away).

This image shows the brake 'set' but not folded down. The pivot has enough friction to hold the handle up against gravity. You can just make out the head of the rivet where the handle 'breaks'.
Click to view attachment
bugsy0
This image shows the handle folded as described. The brake is still set but the handle no longer interferes with entry/exit of the car. I like it.
Click to view attachment

To release the brake, you lift the handle while depressing the button. Then let the handle down against its stop while holding in the button. Not at all complicated.
bugsy0
oops. those images are huge
bandjoey
Targa probably just needs new seals. 914rubber.com. See the vendor section here. Also some put a piece of rubber hose on the rear latch lock post to make it tighter.

A few pics and we'll know how to help.

Hot starters are know issues. The hot start kit or a geared starter fixes it. Someone here will tell u where to get what you need.

There are about 5-6 major grounds plus all the grounds at lights that you should clean.
Brown wires. Tranny is another starting problem ground. Big flat wire from top rear of the tranny to the body.

Get a Haynes book for references and wiring.
rmital
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Jan 11 2011, 11:29 PM) *

welcome.png

Someone else from NJ! Post pics of your 914 if you have them. There are a few of us in NJ willing to help with any problems you may have. Send me a PM if you have any questions or need a hand with anything. bye1.gif

yes...more NJ 914ers beer.gif
Jon is kind of in central NJ, I'm about as far northeast as you could get. Hopefully once the weather breaks we could meet. Maybe a wreching session...plenty places to have one. Always welcome at my place, just a real hike from you.
realred914
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif santa_smiley.gif popcorn[1].gif cheer.gif first.gif flag.gif driving-girl.gif piratenanner.gif smile.gif agree.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif for the lihgts, first try to clean the fuse holder clips, rebend the clips as needed to retension them on the fuses. the fuses can also corrode, clean them or better yet replace with new. refer to the fuse chart for your year modle (ther are at least two variations for 4 cylnder cars of fuse placement / amp values)

this may fix the funky dashwarning lights.

for your info the switch to the park-brake handle is near the rear of th elever on the body. it is a simple ground switch, much like that found on the door light switch, it makes contact to ground, make sure this switch has a good clean contact, it gets wet and dirty down there and may just need cleaning. but apperantly it is working. so try the fuse clean up fisrt.

starter key may be going out, or the solinoid dirty (they need be lubed, and sealed with either water proof tape or sealant at teh seam between the insulator and the metal body of the solinoid, else water gets in and gums up the sloniod movemnt, often can be cleaned up and rebuilt.

also as mentioned make sure it is getting a good ground, via the tranny gorund strrap you can test this when it fails by keeping a jumper handy and ground it via that and see if the problem goes away or simpy confirm all gournd is good and tjhight and claen.

good luck!!!!! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
flipb
QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ Jan 11 2011, 06:53 PM) *

1. When you apply the parking break, what is considered normal behavior for the dash lights. Something tells me that the upper red light in the fuel gauge should blink. Hows about the turn signal indicator lights? They also blink when the break is up, but the outside tail lights don't flash at the same time. Normal?

I believe what you're describing is perfectly normal behavior. My '74 2.0, with the parking brake applied, flashes the large red light in the combo gauge and the hazard/turn signal indicators in the Tach. And no, the exterior lights shouldn't blink with this.
914dave
I'd check the ground strap first and then the relay for the start problem. I have a few sets of top latches if that's the problem. There are some good suggestion for the other electrical gremlins. You'll have to give each one a try til you find you solution. Gotta love electrical problems!
timofly
Glad to see another 914 nut in NJ. Owning one here is a test of:

1. endurance
2. patience
3. sanity

Keep an eye on this site. I see Ray sent you a note and I'll echo that. I'm a bit closer than he is, but always ready to help another sufferer. We'll organize another GTG when the spring rains wash away the salt. In the meantime, just park the car in your garage. On quiet nights, sneak in and listen carefully. You can hear the rust eating your car...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.