Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Local PCA auto-x question(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Yesterday was my first "real" PCA auto-x (had a blast, I shall return for sure!!!!)

I noticed that they allowed a Miata and a Honda S2000 (that might have gotten TTOD, or damn near it) to run with us.

I amsuming both guys are members of the PCA...so, if one is a member, can anyone bring a non-porsche car (or non-porsche powered car) to our local PCA auto-x's???

If so, that would be great for the conversion guys to have a venue for auto-x'n. The rules book does not say anything about this which would make sense due to the cars being run for "fun" and not for points or anything like that.
TimT
My region lets any make car ax, and you dont have to be a PCA member to run either... just show up and pay,

They have classes for "other " cars
richardL
I think that you need to be a PCA member - in the Alameda AutoX the other week they let a Bimmer and a Corvette compete, but turned away a Caterham 7 because he wasn't a member.

I had never seen that before this year though, so I don't know the rule.

Richard
Dave_Darling
My region lets any make car ax, and you dont have to be a PCA member to run either...

But all regions are different...

Mike, my experience with GGR and LPR is that club members can run non-Porsches, but that it is at least somewhat discouraged. If your p-car is in the shop, or what have you, they don't have any problems letting you run your "other" car, but you are advised not to make a habit of it.

Some of it, at least at times, has depended on how "known" you were in the group. Some regimes have been more "clique-ish" than others, so if you were a Buddy of the Boss Man you got more leeway than if you weren't.

Non-Porsches (engine and transmission case must be Porsche, plus some minimal amount of the body) can never run for points or official times. They are always "fun runs".

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 26 2004, 01:44 PM)
I amsuming both guys are members of the PCA...

this is up to the region that puts on the event.

LPR and GGR let you run a non-porsche car IF you are a PCA member.

you'll end up running in the "FUN" class and NOT compete for points and trophies,
Andy
Mueller
thanks Dave, I figured these 2 guys that ran yesterday are well known in the club so that might have helped....I think it's cool that they do let you run other cars, but I can see this getting abused so not making a habit of it is a great idea.......

I have no problem with only being able to do "fun runs" in a converted 914, just knowing that I could go out and play at the same time is all that matters* MDB2.gif

*disclaimer: not that I have a converted car or that I am looking at doing so...... cool.gif
Dave_Darling
I think the official rulebook phrasing is "...at the discretion of the event chairman."

--DD
Trekkor
Mike, nice to meet you. wavey.gif

I met both drivers in question.

John, I think, drove the S2000, was wearing a PCA name tag and said he no longer had a porsche right now or it was in shop. Can't remeber.

Logan, starter for "A" group in the Miata (super charged ), said he is a local and led me to believe his 914 was in the shop. When I asked him about it he and his friends laughed and he said , " just kidding, I don't own a porsche, I just come here when they a/x."

Go figure.
EdwardBlume
The rule here is Porsche or PCA member. Logan became a PCA member last year.

The main reason for being open to members and porsches only are: 1) AXs are supported by multiple things that people don't see and take for granted, being a part of the club covers their time with dues, and supports the system that makes the whole thing possible (and the trailer and equipment aren't free), and 2) being open to porsches encourages membership.

If other regions use it as a profit center, or to encourage goodwill - that's great for them. Around here, its a fun club event celebrating the greatest cars on earth (914s) and those other porsches.
Bleyseng
Up here you must be a PCA member or own a Porsche. You can sponsor a buddy in a nonP car but if there are lots of cars he is outta luck. We can handle 80 cars pretty easy but over that and its a big strain on the AX committee.
Geoff
Trekkor
Another question, is there a provision for a non-instructor rider? ( wife or friend )
EdwardBlume
Yes.... Nope. The only qualified 2 driver cars have at least one instructor.

The good news is that you can become an instructor over time.
SirAndy
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ Apr 26 2004, 09:39 PM)
Yes.... Nope. The only qualified 2 driver cars have at least one instructor.

The good news is that you can become an instructor over time.

or, have your wife/GF drive your car with a instructor ...

sometimes, if you ask really nicely, they even take you out for a run in their car!

Andy

PS: i REALLY would like Rob to drive MY car with me as a passenger next time ...
EdwardBlume
One of my greatest lessons was when Jennifer Tuminelli (sp?) drove my car at the AX school last year. I thought I was pushing hard and doing the right things..... far from it.

Your strength is your aggressiveness. I like that you are constantly getting on the gas and pushing what you have.

No doubt that 1.8 was struggling to get my butt around the track. You get a lot out of it though.
J P Stein
We let anybody with 25 bucks run......but now, the non- Porsches are TO.

I like it.

We often get hard chargers form SCCA that come to play. This may be hard for some to believe, but you can learn from those guys. Mostly, they're hella quick. You can read all the books you want, but watching Tom Kotzian (for instance) work a course is an education.

I gotta admit tho, the Subie cheering section is a bit much headbang.gif
Dave_Darling
Read the books--they give you a foundation. But there is no substitute for seat time! Ever. The best books can help you get more out of the time you spend driving, but none of them can ever really make up for seat time.

--DD
J P Stein
Observation.

Watch the fast guys.

Watch their lines......they're smooth cause they plan ahead....give up some entry speed to set up for a more difficult move ahead.

Watch their brake lights.....max slow or a touch to set the car.

Listen for their exhaust note.....on or off....feathered.....rolling on the power or dropping the hammer.

Watch the next guy. See the difference?

No sense wasting time shooting the breeze with your buddy while workin' the cones.....there's stuff to learnt. This isn't in any book, movie, or stage play, but out there on the asphalt (concrete).

This is also why ya wanna be in the 2nd run group laugh.gif
lapuwali
When I started out, I was lucky in that an SCCA National Champ attended my local events in a nearly identical car to mine. Getting fun runs with her (yes, her) driving was VERY informative. Gee, I can brake that late? Oh, I should wait to turn there? Etc. MUCH more illuminating than trying to have things described.

Swapping off both ways, riding and driving, can be very beneficial for both. Turned out I regularly exploited the brakes better than she did, but my lines weren't as good. Her braking improved, as did my lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.