Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front turn signal buckets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
So, about six monthe ago I had an opportunity o purchase some brand new, unused, original front turn signal buckets. Nothing wrong with mine (see photos), but I can't seem to pass up factory new parts. They cost me a bundle, and I didn't need them. Some would call me stupid, and they just may be correct.

So, I'm debating. Plae the new factory pieces on the 914, or stay with theones I have (which look better to me).

See the pics & tell me what you think.
Pat
MDG
How does the plating inside your originals look, Pat? If it's still perfect I'd leave them in and put the others on a shelf as a safety net against an errant stone.

I bought a pair of NOS Euro buckets for my flared car and I couldn't believe the quality of the inside of them. I guess it's been so many decades since I saw ones that good.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Well the outer bucket on the one on the right looks to be pretty pristine, but maybe too much so on a preservation 40+/- year old 914.

The one on the left isn't bad either - considering age, and that there was some color variance on the outer finish.

I agree that the silverized reflectors' condition is maybe more important to light performance, even if not visible from the outside.

For comparison, these are the one's on Steve's Sahara Beige with only 23k - which looks similar to the one on the left (if you can see the bucket up past the rubber boot etc.) .....

Click to view attachment

What say you?
shades.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you do not need the money, install the new factory parts and sell the used. The new factory parts can only make your car better and if you plan on keeping it for the rest of your life, there is nothing sweeter than continuing to install new old stock or new parts. I LOVE doing it and every time I find parts like that have my bevy of beauties to update (except for that 5006 mile willow green six which is pretty perfect!!!!!!!!
Have you changed your Hilton Head reservation so we can mount a team effort for Savannah and show them what avid 914 concours enthusiasts are all about?"

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 11 2011, 07:21 PM) *

So, about six monthe ago I had an opportunity o purchase some brand new, unused, original front turn signal buckets. Nothing wrong with mine (see photos), but I can't seem to pass up factory new parts. They cost me a bundle, and I didn't need them. Some would call me stupid, and they just may be correct.

So, I'm debating. Plae the new factory pieces on the 914, or stay with theones I have (which look better to me).

Pat

Bleyseng
someone backed into my passenger turn signal last year and it had to dig out of the stash my last NOS bucket. I think I paid $5 for it....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 11 2011, 10:40 PM) *

Well the outer bucket on the one on the right looks to be pretty pristine, but maybe too much so on a preservation 40+/- year old 914.

The one on the left isn't bad either - considering age, and that there was some color variance on the outer finish.

I agree that the silverized reflectors' condition is maybe more important to light performance, even if not visible from the outside.

For comparison, these are the one's on Steve's Sahara Beige with only 23k - which looks similar to the one on the left (if you can see the bucket up past the rubber boot etc.) .....

Click to view attachment

What say you?
shades.gif

I say there's unacceptable dust on that boot! Kidding!

I can't say that the originals have had any degradation of the reflectors over the new, but that's because I replace the seal regularly.

Quite frankly, I prefer the finish that I put on my originals, though it isn't factory, but I'll go with the new ones. Have new hardware & fasteners to boost it.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 12 2011, 10:31 AM) *

If you do not need the money, install the new factory parts and sell the used. The new factory parts can only make your car better and if you plan on keeping it for the rest of your life, there is nothing sweeter than continuing to install new old stock or new parts. I LOVE doing it and every time I find parts like that have my bevy of beauties to update (except for that 5006 mile willow green six which is pretty perfect!!!!!!!!
Have you changed your Hilton Head reservation so we can mount a team effort for Savannah and show them what avid 914 concours enthusiasts are all about?"

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 11 2011, 07:21 PM) *

Pat

George - PM Me
Pat
tod914
Love putting NOS parts on. Finding them is 1/2 the fun. Go for it. I was lucky enough to procure a set of NOS tail light assemblies w/lenses to replace the melted/cracked buckets on my current car. George dug up some NOS fuel injection rails for me as well. Which I thought was a going to be a search in vain. Now if I could only find a NOS rear bumper. What was the out come on your gas tank Pat? Prepping the car for some 2011 events?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jan 18 2011, 06:25 PM) *

Love putting NOS parts on. Finding them is 1/2 the fun. Go for it. I was lucky enough to procure a set of NOS tail light assemblies w/lenses to replace the melted/cracked buckets on my current car. George dug up some NOS fuel injection rails for me as well. Which I thought was a going to be a search in vain. Now if I could only find a NOS rear bumper. What was the out come on your gas tank Pat? Prepping the car for some 2011 events?

Doen't look likely. I'll be shipping my 914 off to one of the remaining originally trained 914 people in Cincinnati soon. All the new parts will go with it (may need a second truck). It will not need any body work - only mechanicals. I've finally realized that I need help from someone I truely trust.

It may see the light of day in running fashion late in the summer. All of the injection system will need to be replaced, but I have all new parts for every single piece. Not even much cleanup necessary. Depends on the availability hour of the mechanic.

BTW, the gas tank is now perfect & ready for install. I'll probably do that before shipping the car. Thanks for your help on this!
Pat
IronHillRestorations
Sorry to disagree, but I say install the cherry used ones and bank the perfect NOS ones. You won't regret it if you need it later.
championgt1
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 19 2011, 07:22 PM) *

Sorry to disagree, but I say install the cherry used ones and bank the perfect NOS ones. You won't regret it if you need it later.

agree.gif I would do this as well.
tod914
My pleasure with the tank Pat. Glad it worked out for you. Will be anxious to see your car when it's back on the road. Hopefully you'll be able to attend either the New Hope PA show or the Aircooled Gathering this year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.