Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires for stock wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
I need to get tires for my 914 that has the american revolution 'empi style' wheel.

what are you guys running?

this will be summer performance tires only. im looking for dedicated street tires.

thanks in advance

-peter
IronHillRestorations
The Empi's don't have the correct backspacing (not enough)for a 914. They will fit, but they'll also limit how wide a tire you can fit.

You need to have the tire shop test fit the size you'd like before you buy them, as you'll probably get rubbing on the rear.

Personally I like a 195/60.
TROJANMAN
205/50
DanT
he is running Empi look 8 spokers....not a stock wheel.
improper offset...moves the outside of the tire/wheel too close to the fender....
205s will probably not fit

see here for the same post
same conversation
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree and maybe not even 195/ 65x15 will fit. Will probably be tight at least on one side. Although the 195/65x15 is the ideal sized street tire for the 914, it does not fit the car when aftermarket wheels with the vw type offset are installed (empi and riviera and the older american racing wheels

QUOTE(DanT @ Jan 12 2011, 09:10 AM) *

he is running Empi look 8 spokers....not a stock wheel.
improper offset...moves the outside of the tire/wheel too close to the fender....
205s will probably not fit

see here for the same post
same conversation

IronHillRestorations
I was able to fit 195's on a set of Empi style wheels, on a stock body 914. I did have to shave about 1/4" of the fender lip on one side though. It was '84 and I didn't know about rolling the fender lips with a ball bat, so I used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade and shaved off enough so the tire wouldn't rub.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.