Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter Relay (Factory Styled) w/ Install Pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
I made this relay for the starter using a 914 headlight relay mount. This should amplify the voltage at the soleniod by avoiding the voltage drop from the igniton switch. Also embedded in the wiring is a rectifier diode in line with the igniton switch/starter key to protect the ignition switch from the 350V EMF pulse comming from the starter solenoid when the current collapses.. (link to article below...see bottom of page).

Linky-
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m...tarter_diag.htm

** side note,** I do not have a starting problem, in fact I ripped out the Bosch Hard Cure when I got the car so I could ensure proper function as per desighn, but I have had to switch out a relatively new ingnition switch (a year old or less) that left me with out warning stranded at a liquor store. Also when I was in below freezing/snow temps my Optima Battery was dying and before I figured that issue out, I tried applying 12 volts directly from the battery to the solenoid and definately noticed an immeadiate improvement in its desire to start even form a dying battery that could not hold a full charge any longer.

I usually do not share my 914 (%$& alternative ideas but thought using this set up would allow me to use the 914 round relays and also install a starter relay mounted in the engine compartment rather than the......dangling open environment the Bosch Hard Start Cure seems to be installed more often than not..

total cost a few dollars.. Anyways just a thought I thought I would put out there.

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
very nice factory looking piece! I am sure that you could sell these as a proper alternative to the bosch hot start kit that indeed looks gangly hanging out under the car!!!!!!!

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 12 2011, 11:33 AM) *

I made this relay for the starter using a 914 headlight relay mount. This should amplify the voltage at the soleniod by avoiding the voltage drop from the igniton switch. Also embedded in the wiring is a rectifier diode in line with the igniton switch/starter key to protect the ignition switch from the 350V EMF pulse comming from the starter solenoid when the current collapses.. (link to article below...see bottom of page).

Linky-
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/m...tarter_diag.htm

** side note,** I do not have a starting problem, in fact I ripped out the Bosch Hard Cure when I got the car so I could ensure proper function as per desighn, but I have had to switch out a relatively new ingnition switch (a year old or less) that left me with out warning stranded at a liquor store. Also when I was in below freezing/snow temps my Optima Battery was dying and before I figured that issue out, I tried applying 12 volts directly from the battery to the solenoid and definately noticed an immeadiate improvement in its desire to start even form a dying battery that could not hold a full charge any longer.

I usually do not share my 914 (%$& alternative ideas but thought using this set up would allow me to use the 914 round relays and also install a starter relay mounted in the engine compartment rather than the......dangling open environment the Bosch Hard Start Cure seems to be installed more often than not..

total cost a few dollars.. Anyways just a thought I thought I would put out there.

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 12 2011, 10:42 AM) *
very nice factory looking piece! I am sure that you could sell these as a proper alternative to the bosch hot start kit that indeed looks gangly hanging out under the car!!!!!!!

agree.gif
KELTY360
Nice looking solution Cowboy. Where are you mounting the relay? Would you mind diagramming out the wiring connections?
detoxcowboy
]
detoxcowboy
detoxcowboy
Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif
underthetire
Looks very nice. Just a side thought, I wonder if one could use the defrost relay that a lot of cars don't have. That might be a nice mounting spot.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 12 2011, 03:38 PM) *

Looks very nice. Just a side thought, I wonder if one could use the defrost relay that a lot of cars don't have. That might be a nice mounting spot.

Spoke
You would want to mount the relay as close to the starter as possible. The function of the relay is to reduce the voltage loss (I x R) in the wiring and ignition switch going to the solenoid.

Mounting the relay on the relay board might not be too bad. Mounting right next to the starter or on the other side of the engine tin to protect the relay from road dust and debris might be good too.
SLITS
I use a "Ford" style solenoid hung near the starter ....... cheap.

detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 13 2011, 05:51 AM) *

You would want to mount the relay as close to the starter as possible. The function of the relay is to reduce the voltage loss (I x R) in the wiring and ignition switch going to the solenoid.

Mounting the relay on the relay board might not be too bad. Mounting right next to the starter or on the other side of the engine tin to protect the relay from road dust and debris might be good too.

agree.gif
detoxcowboy
Click to view attachment
detoxcowboy

Click to view attachment
Tom
Detox,
Darn you, now I have no reason not to get this done. Been meaning to! Very nice job!! Good work too!
Tom
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Tom @ Jan 13 2011, 09:55 AM) *

Detox,
Darn you, now I have no reason not to get this done. Been meaning to! Very nice job!! Good work too!
Tom

detoxcowboy

Click to view attachment
zonedoubt
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 13 2011, 05:58 AM) *

agree.gif Me too. And it's available at any auto parts store.
detoxcowboy
So far it works great, I am not having any proiblems and drive every day..

Unfortunately, I has received several pm regarding my use of a rectifier diode as improper, though have been told it was wrong either and I do not want to mis-led anybody..

It is working though; I think there is a mis-understanding somwhere and I do not want to cause anyone any issues or problems.

This was my first share of an idea, I tested everything.

>>> update; turns out my why correct in acheiveing what I was doing.,. this is just lost, sorry for deleting all the directions, and that is what happens when you think the other person is more knowledgebale than you..
markb
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Jan 13 2011, 01:01 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 13 2011, 05:58 AM) *

agree.gif Me too. And it's available at any auto parts store.

agree.gif Me three.
76-914
Me 4
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.