Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying car out of state
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
OK I am not buying a 914 but I am about 99% sure I am buying an 84 AMC Eagle setup for light off roading.

The car is in Asheville NC and I am in NJ. I may just bring my van and trailer it home but gas and trailer on a 12 hour each way drive is gonna come close to $400-450 I would imagine. I still may do it since 12 hours of driving alone is gonna suck.

But if I wanted to just drive down and drive it home how do I do that? I admit I have just pulled plates off one car and thrown them on another in the past. But that was driving for an hour or 2, not 12 hours.

Oh and here is the ugly beast.

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Take a bus or a train, or fly. Have the seller pick you up. Be sure to bring emergency tools. Good luck.
JmuRiz
When I got my 914 I just arranged with the seller to mail the plates when I got home. Be sure to contact your insurance agent before picking it up.

Oh yeah, I flew down with my dad and met the seller at the airport and off we went.
realred914
want to be legal??? get a DMV temporary moving permit probly get it either for your home state, or the state that car is in now, it shoudl be valid across state lines that is how it is done in the peoples republic of california.

get a temp moving tag and no legal hassles.

some states will IMPOUND unregistered cars for upto a month, at $100 a day storage fee. so driving hith a legal tag is really the lowest risk option, the alternative of a month impound is bad.

california is low on budget and the CHP is hot to write tickets and shy of giving warnign or listing to sob storys of how you justy bought the car, but didnt think you needed to get a tag, they cut very very little slack now days, at is all about public safety (revenue) you know

breaking the law, breaking the law, you dont know what it is like.....!

judus priest
trojanhorsepower
I live about 45 min east of Asheville, let me know if I can do anything to help. Maybe I could pick you up at the train/bus/airport what ever.

Just let me know.

-Peter
turboman808
Thanks for the info. I will have to call nj dmv and see what I can do.

I got solid numbers but gas and trailer are gonna run me 550. That's my best option but I will look into the others. Going down on the 22nd.

Also looking to get an xj6 series 3 in 1-2 months. On down in philly I got my eye on. Gonna have my own dealership if I don't start selling a few.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(realred914 @ Jan 12 2011, 05:10 PM) *

california is low on budget and the CHP is hot to write tickets and shy of giving warnign or listing to sob storys of how you justy bought the car, but didnt think you needed to get a tag, they cut very very little slack now days, at is all about public safety (revenue) you know

breaking the law, breaking the law, you dont know what it is like.....!

judus priest

CHP hot to write tickets? lol-2.gif

I just got back from picking my kid up at school and while I sat in front of school, I noticed the car in front of me had 2005 tabs and no paper DMV temporary in the window. Every day while I drive to work I notice the same cars on my commute with tabs expired 4 - 6 months ago... Since the economy tanked, I have noticed far more cars with expired tabs. I seriously doubt that CHP is hot to write tickets, it's still a 'probable cause' stop according to my CHP friend.

hot_shoe914
Don't know about Jersersey but it Tn it would qualify for antique tags. Therefore doesn't require inspection and all you have to do isgo register it and get a permanent antique tag. That is if seller has sent you the title already.

Shoe
Jesse
In Alabama we have 10 days to get a tag, AND the swapping tags is a BIG no no they will impound your car and give you a big ticket. If i remember VA is the same way.
r_towle
That is a short haul and you should be ab le to get a truck that is headed north from florida to put your car on it for right around 4-500 bucks.....same price, less hassle.

If you want to save even more, wait.
The shippers bid on these and if you are willing to wait you will get a better deal from someone that has a slot in an almost full truck, but can use the xtra cash.

Best we have done was 750 from CA to Boston and 400 from florida to Boston...
Many many trucks run north/south moving alot of used cars....

You want to work with a bidding firm that places the job out to bid...you get the best price that way.
Look on ebay or just google it...you should find plenty.

Rich
r_towle
That is a short haul and you should be ab le to get a truck that is headed north from florida to put your car on it for right around 4-500 bucks.....same price, less hassle.

If you want to save even more, wait.
The shippers bid on these and if you are willing to wait you will get a better deal from someone that has a slot in an almost full truck, but can use the xtra cash.

Best we have done was 750 from CA to Boston and 400 from florida to Boston...
Many many trucks run north/south moving alot of used cars....

You want to work with a bidding firm that places the job out to bid...you get the best price that way.
Look on ebay or just google it...you should find plenty.

Rich
turboman808
4-5 hundred delivered. Think we have a winner.

I was going to pay him cash when I went there. Maybe paypal is the way to go. Have him send me the title and have it delivered.

Thanks everyone.

Oh and I am already working on my redneck slang. Yeehaw.
Spoke
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 12 2011, 08:50 PM) *

agree.gif

If you drive it home, you always have the concern of a breakdown. If you can fix it, you're golden. If you can't, then you have it shipped and it still costs you plus you have to find a ride home.

Fly or drive down; check out the vehicle; buy it (if it looks good); then get a hauler to drop it off at your door.

My friend bought a VW vanagan or whatever the 60's van was called in Chicago and tried to drive it home to PA. Got about 60 miles on the road and the engine overheated and fried itself. Now he had to leave the van, rent a car, then have the van trailored home.

Add $500 into your purchase price for shipping and be done with it.
dirk9141973
agree.gif The truckers work out great set a price and date and see what you get. You should have no problem getting trucker going to NJ. But why the AMC wagon not what I would think a teener would pick? good luck
turboman808
QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Jan 12 2011, 06:23 PM) *

agree.gif The truckers work out great set a price and date and see what you get. You should have no problem getting trucker going to NJ. But why the AMC wagon not what I would think a teener would pick? good luck

Really? Oddball porsche, why wouldn't I want a oddball 4x4.

We may still drive down just for fun though. I got a few days to think about it. But the guy wants to sell it fast. He lives in one of those areas where the neighbors are making his life hell so he wants it out fast. Seems they find it an eye sore. HAHA

QUOTE(esses62 @ Jan 12 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Nate,
A Jaguar hey. A friend of mine is selling a 90 XJS 6.0 v12 black with euro headlights.

I don't like the cars after 87. The best are the series 3 with the series 2 wheels. Looks badass. This is the car I am thinking about buying.

IPB Image
underthetire
Ha, I had the two door hatchback version. Wood sticky panels and all. Light 4 wheeling? Maybe a fire road, but with no low range that was about it. It actually wasn't a bad car then.
speed metal army
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jan 12 2011, 06:58 PM) *

QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Jan 12 2011, 06:23 PM) *

Really? Oddball porsche, why wouldn't I want a oddball 4x4.

We may still drive down just for fun though. I got a few days to think about it. But the guy wants to sell it fast. He lives in one of those areas where the neighbors are making his life hell so he wants it out fast. Seems they find it an eye sore. HAHA

QUOTE(esses62 @ Jan 12 2011, 05:52 PM) *

Nate,
A Jaguar hey. A friend of mine is selling a 90 XJS 6.0 v12 black with euro headlights.

I don't like the cars after 87. The best are the series 3 with the series 2 wheels. Looks badass. This is the car I am thinking about buying.

IPB Image

Ive got a 73 Daimler Jag that has been in our family since 80.Cool old car.
That AMC is fugly,but I bet its fun!Slap some solid axles in there,w. a V8 and rip it up. smile.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jan 12 2011, 06:36 PM) *

OK I am not buying a 914 but I am about 99% sure I am buying an 84 AMC Eagle setup for light off roading.

The car is in Asheville NC and I am in NJ. I may just bring my van and trailer it home but gas and trailer on a 12 hour each way drive is gonna come close to $400-450 I would imagine. I still may do it since 12 hours of driving alone is gonna suck.

But if I wanted to just drive down and drive it home how do I do that? I admit I have just pulled plates off one car and thrown them on another in the past. But that was driving for an hour or 2, not 12 hours.

Oh and here is the ugly beast.

Click to view attachment

Looks like an awesome rallyX car to me! driving.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.