Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electric ignition and airfilters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weird_looking_cactus
Im thinking of putting a electric ignition in my 914 so I don't have to worry about timing you know set it and forget type of thing. By the way I did a search and for some reason I can never find anything even though I have seen threads before this. I just want to get some info on were I can get a kit how it improves my car all of that stuff and how people like theres. Right now Im running a 2.0 liter with d-jet fuel injection. Plus I want to get a sweet airfilter I think its a k&n and I have seen them around but can't find were to get them Some pics of some cool air filters would help in case I decied to create my own. Also will a cold air intake help any.
Mark Henry
Pertronix, available at most bug shops, pelican and others.
Do a search on the K&N filters, they don't help much.
mike_the_man
For electronic ignition, Pertronix is about the cheapest way to go. Some people like them, some don't. I have one and it seems pretty good. Easy to install and cheap. There are more expensive and no doubt better options out there, but I don't know much about them.

For an air filter, you can get a K&N flat panel filter that will go in the stock air box. I've seen the oval K&N setup for the teener before, but not sure where. Or you can build your own out of some PVC pipe and a few fittings for vaccuum lines.

Heres some interesting info about getting more cold air into the air box.

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/coldair.html
415PB
The filter kit doesn't help much, but one can be found at 9xauto.com
Stephane
Just installed Pertronix kit in my 2.0 last week, works good. Got it at California Import parts: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...Code=PER%2D1847

Stephane clap56.gif
nebreitling
I've got a K+N in my stock airfilter box. it doesn't help much (I remember Brad mentioning that it made ~1hp more power on a dyno) and probably filters less. maybe it's my imagination, but i think it changes the intake sound (for the better). it's a "mental" power boost. if i really, really believe that it's faster, then it's faster.

you could fab your own cold intake, shouldn't be hard.

for the ignition, i've got a crane xr700. i'm happy with it. most people choose the pertonix. the crane has an extra box unit that you have to mount somewhere, some people find this annoying. have fun
wavey.gif
weird_looking_cactus
Well on my cold air intake Im ready to start and make my own. I already got the airfilter. I found a guy who is going to bend a pipe for me so my air filter is going to be located by the relay board area that seems like a pretty good place that dosn't attach to much heat. I just hope that it won't afect anything having a long pipe. Im thinking if this turns out good I can make a cheap kit or something cause the only other one I have seen they want $100 bucks for it it looks pretty cheap to. I would sell this around $35-40 depending how much time it takes me and how much the metal cost and hose attachments. Here is a pic of the airfilter I already picked up and a simple design I hurryed and put together in paint. Also how many parts are there to the electric ignition I found someone who will sell me his used one but were both not sure what parts go with it.
dmenche914
pertronix is way to go, had them in my bugs, and 914's for nearly 10 years. Never had to reset the timing, car ran better. i wouldn't bother with any fancy dancy expensive unit. Pertronix is good, and almost fool proof (almost, because this fool one time did a compression test, with all four plugs disconnected, When I cranked the engine, i killed the Pertronix. Should have either shorted a plug wire to ground, or disconnected the ignition wire to coil first, powering the pertronix with no plugs attached to the coil caused it to burn out. other than my foolish mistake, the pertronix has been flawless)

Opinion on the air cleaner is stock is just fine, keeps water out of the engine, and filters are cheap Doubt much performance change, and expect more noise with an aftermarket one. Also you will want provision for all the hoses on the aircleaner (crank case breathing, aux. air valve, etc...)

dave (da fool)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.